• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Quicktime/.MOV file won't play??

scudder

Android Expert
May 21, 2010
State of Confusion (FL too)
Hello...

So I have a movie that I created...actually had it up on a website for friends and family and needed to show it "portable" to figured I would download it to my EVO and play it on my phone.

NO GO.

The file is a typical .MOV video/quicktime Mime type file. The size is 16MB. It plays FINE on my computer (both PC and MAC) through Quicktime but when I attempt to open and play in on my EVO I get the error "Sorry, this video cannot be played." I am prompted to open with the View Video/Gallery app or doubleTwist app and NEITHER work.

Any help? Do I need a different format for my videos?? Doesn't make sense because the video camera on the phone records in .MOV format right?? Do I need a different app??

THANKS!!

Scot

The file is a typical .MOV video/quicktime Mime type file. The size is 16MB. It plays FINE on my computer (both PC and MAC) through Quicktime but when I attempt to open and play in on my EVO I get the error "Sorry, this video cannot be played."
The evo is not a computer, and cannot play everything a computer does. If you searched on here, you will find a thread about Handbrake, which will tell you the ONLY codec the Evo will play is h264 in an mp4 container. You'll have to convert to that to get it to play.

Doesn't make sense because the video camera on the phone records in .MOV format right??

mov is just a container. The file you have now could be a number of different codecs.

Upvote 0
The evo is not a computer, and cannot play everything a computer does. If you searched on here, you will find a thread about Handbrake, which will tell you the ONLY codec the Evo will play is h264 in an mp4 container. You'll have to convert to that to get it to play.

mov is just a container. The file you have now could be a number of different codecs.

I must APOLOGIZE...forgive me but I have just come off a 20-DAY REPAIR of my EVO and juuuuuust got my phone back and spent the last few days getting back up to speed with reinstalls and Froyo install and settings and preferences and everything to get BACK to normal. Not until you mentioned condecs and MP4 did I realize that I realized I SCREWED UP with the .MOV file I tried to play. My new Canon digital camera records in .MOV vs. my old camera as an .AVI. I lost my mind for a second when I got my NEW phone back thinking "NEW" and then thinking NEW CAMERA and then thinking NEW CAMERA PLAYS .MOV to thinking EVO IS NEW AND PLAYS .MOV. But no, no no...that was my new CANON camera not my new EVO's camera! All I had to do was look at my EVO backup video files that I made pre-repair to see their .3GP extension and realize my question was silly :-/

Thanks for the reply...sorry for the waste of time...hopefully someone benefited from this thread!

Scott

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones