• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Radio: 605.9 (930)

Well here are some results I have from just before and just after flashing the new radio. They were done at different times of day, so I wouldn't say theye were really scientific but wanted to share.

Old GB radio
Test 1 - Down 11.71 Up 6.05 Ping 81
Test 2 - Down 11.08 Up 4.84 Ping 85
Test 3 - Down 14.92 Up 4.79 Ping 86

930 Radio
Test 1 - Down 14.77 Up 4.53 Ping 85
Test 2 - Down 16.04 Up 4.93 Ping 109
Test 3 - Down 21.41 Up 4.93 Ping 85

It does look like there may have been some improvement, but I probably should have done more tests and at the same time of day.

Upvote 0
The only downside I can see after a few days is that if you are very marginal for 4G it can beat the battery up a bit because it goes for a 4G lock more readily.

But if you are in a more in and out area, it is nice because it will at least try to lock on to 4G, and the transitions are fast. I don't think that I will ever have to try to force LTE only any more.

Reactions: trapperjohn
Upvote 0
Ok anyone on the fence - this radio is totally worth it. Across the board I am getting better metrics. Faster handoff, better signal, my speedtest numbers are MUCH better than before.

No downsides as far as I can tell yet.

I'm on the stock 605.5 version on my TB, but have CWM recovery. I applied these new radios today and while it took two reboots until 4G kicked back in, it's been very solid since. I'm very interested to see how it responds in a few places I've had issues before, such as coming out of tunnels on the train home from work. The 1X, 3G, 4G handoffs haven't been so good over the last few months. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones