• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

radio SUCKS

For me personally, there is definitely a significant difference between the Motorola radios and the one in this phone.
I came from a Droid X. Never had reception/call/data issues. Sitting exactly where I am sitting now, my signal strength with the X averaged between -90dBm and -80dBM.
My S3, right now, is -120dBm (searching for signal). If I put it near a window or door, I sometimes get as good as -90dBm.

So you roughly see about 20dbm difference between DX and S3. That's actually about the same signal strength between ICS and GB phone unless you turn off 4G radio in ICS. This signal reading issue has been beaten to death in Gnex forums.

Those numbers are certainly not pleasing to look at, but I wouldn't worry too much unless it's dropping calls/data badly.
 
So you roughly see about 20dbm difference between DX and S3. That's actually about the same signal strength between ICS and GB phone unless you turn off 4G radio in ICS. This signal reading issue has been beaten to death in Gnex forums.

Those numbers are certainly not pleasing to look at, but I wouldn't worry too much unless it's dropping calls/data badly.
I agree, except for me, that 20dBm difference is the literally the difference between having service, and not having service. At my house, I use my S3 pretty much solely on wifi, and once in a while, I'll remember to put it near a window or somewhere in the house with marginal reception, so I can get missed texts.

Not trashing the phone. Like I said, it's not enough to make me return it. I love everything about the phone. I do wish the radio were a little better, but when I have good service, the phone is damn near perfect.
 
I agree, except for me, that 20dBm difference is the literally the difference between having service, and not having service. At my house, I use my S3 pretty much solely on wifi, and once in a while, I'll remember to put it near a window or somewhere in the house with marginal reception, so I can get missed texts.

Not trashing the phone. Like I said, it's not enough to make me return it. I love everything about the phone. I do wish the radio were a little better, but when I have good service, the phone is damn near perfect.

Are you seeing the 20dbm difference on 3g or 4g? 3g on the phone is reported in RSSI I believe, just like the galaxy nexus. So if your signal is -100dbm at 1asu on the s3 and -80dbm at 4 asu or something like that on the droid x, then there is a huge signal strength difference. RSRP values are wholly different. Getting -100dbm RSRP values is a good signal and about equivalent to -80dbm in RSSI. RSSI tends to drop out past -100dbm, while RSRP goes to -120dbm where it drops out. A -112dbm signal is actually like getting -92dbm on 3g. These values won't improve, it is how they are measured. I will admit I have noticed when 4g goes weaker than -100dbm it tends to have issues with data speeds and such on my galaxy nexus, but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't. Your S3 should show at least 5mbps up until -113 dbm or so assuming LTE can handle signal as weak as 3g can and still get good speeds.
 
Based on what I have read I guess my signal strength is good. I am at -70 dBm now. Last night I was at -53. And sometimes I am at -89. I am trying to figure out if my signal is causing my battery drain. It seems that is not the issue with my phone. And like everyone has said above Motorola makes the best radios. Motorola made the first cell phones so it makes sense that they would make the best radios. They know what they are doing.

Its been awhile but most carriers when they go to townhall show two plots of their signal. -76 and -84. 76 being ideal and 84 being acceptable. 3dbm is a doubling of power.
 
Are you seeing the 20dbm difference on 3g or 4g? 3g on the phone is reported in RSSI I believe, just like the galaxy nexus. So if your signal is -100dbm at 1asu on the s3 and -80dbm at 4 asu or something like that on the droid x, then there is a huge signal strength difference. RSRP values are wholly different. Getting -100dbm RSRP values is a good signal and about equivalent to -80dbm in RSSI. RSSI tends to drop out past -100dbm, while RSRP goes to -120dbm where it drops out. A -112dbm signal is actually like getting -92dbm on 3g. These values won't improve, it is how they are measured. I will admit I have noticed when 4g goes weaker than -100dbm it tends to have issues with data speeds and such on my galaxy nexus, but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't. Your S3 should show at least 5mbps up until -113 dbm or so assuming LTE can handle signal as weak as 3g can and still get good speeds.
ben7337 - I'm not technically saavy, so bear with me. In regard to 3g or 4g, to the best of my knowledge, I have neither. I'm attaching a couple screenshots - these were taken where I have pretty much the best service I get in my house.
In the notification bar, I don't see "3G" or "4G" until I am a couple miles away from my house. Here, when I can get service, it usually says 1X.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot1.jpg.jpg
    Screenshot1.jpg.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot2.jpg.png
    Screenshot2.jpg.png
    442.7 KB · Views: 103
So you roughly see about 20dbm difference between DX and S3. That's actually about the same signal strength between ICS and GB phone unless you turn off 4G radio in ICS. This signal reading issue has been beaten to death in Gnex forums.

Those numbers are certainly not pleasing to look at, but I wouldn't worry too much unless it's dropping calls/data badly.

What is this about ICS reporting dBm values differently than GB?

FWIW, my dBm numbers are the same for both LTE, and HSPA, following the ICS update on my AT&T branded Note. My problem with this Samsung device is that it will report "4 bars", at a -97dBm LTE signal, and "3 bars" at -103dBm, but not complete a call, not connect to data at that level.
 
Back
Top Bottom