• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Radios Question

Ventada

Why do radios need to be updated if you flash new roms and what exactly is a radio? I see on threads that there is a post that says updated radio and I am curious as to what it is. All information is appreciated I am a newbie at rooting.

Ventada, when we went from software version 3.15(I think) to 3.70, there was a radio revision in that update. You had 3 choices at that point. Stay rooted and flash the new radios...unroot and accept the OTA update...or do nothing and remain on old radios(honestly do not know the effects over time with that). If you think about all of the things your phone can do, there are numerous radios in the hardware(3g,4g,wifi,GPS,etc.)

If your phone has the latest radios, you should not have to worry about flashing radios. So far in the life of this phone, this last revision was the first and only one.

some roms are based on 3.29 like virusrom infection. so you would have to change your radios. most roms however, are based on the current ota 3.70. if and when we get another ota(gingerbread), all we would need to do is update the radios and wait for the devs to come out with gingerbread sense roms.

if and when we get another ota(gingerbread), all we would need to do is update the radios and wait for the devs to come out with gingerbread sense roms.

And you are assuming Gingerbread would come with new radios....that is not necessarily a good assumption. We did NOT have to flash new radios going from 2.1 to 2.2....

And you are assuming Gingerbread would come with new radios....that is not necessarily a good assumption. We did NOT have to flash new radios going from 2.1 to 2.2....

You're correct in that we shouldn't assume that, but most OTA updates have included radio updates (including 2.1 to 2.2). See the stock ROMs table here to see what radio version goes with what OTA (sw version). I have a table that has even more information than that one if you want it. I'd just have to go find it.

You're correct in that we shouldn't assume that, but most OTA updates have included radio updates (including 2.1 to 2.2). See the stock ROMs table here to see what radio version goes with what OTA (sw version). I have a table that has even more information than that one if you want it. I'd just have to go find it.

In what instances would I need to update my radios?

the last few ota's we had, had updated radios to go along with them. once there is an ota available the new batch of roms will have notations on radios. this forum is great on keeping people informed of any updates. if you have the current radios, i would not worry about it for now. majority of roms out there are using the current software and radios.

the last few ota's we had, had updated radios to go along with them. once there is an ota available the new batch of roms will have notations on radios. this forum is great on keeping people informed of any updates. if you have the current radios, i would not worry about it for now. majority of roms out there are using the current software and radios.
So to piggy back on OPs questions as I am getting my Evo today and will be rooting straight away. If I was to flash Myn's 2.2 I am able to skip the step of updating radio's as I will have the most up to date radios anyway?

You should be able to skip that but to verify, go to setting>about phone>software version and it should list your baseband there. The newest is 2.15.00.11.19. If you have that you should be good to go

Back
Top Bottom