• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rand Paul...

I have two earned degrees. My wife is a doctor. What's your education and experiential background?

Congratulations. Should I prostrate myself, or will merely bowing suffice?

I may not be highly educated: I joined the Navy out of high school, served my country, and have since been serving society in general. I have also traveled the world a fair bit, mostly hitting the Pacific Rim.

My conclusions (which you feel are worthless since I haven't been papertrained) are based on what I've been told by people who have been there: either natives who have immigrated to the US, or professionals who have spent a fair amount of time IN Africa.

So my apologies for using my brain and forming an opinion without benefit of paying someone to teach me how to think.

I may not be highly educated: I joined the Navy out of high school, served my country, and have since been serving society in general. I have also traveled the world a fair bit, mostly hitting the Pacific Rim.

My conclusions (which you feel are worthless since I haven't been papertrained) are based on what I've been told by people who have been there: either natives who have immigrated to the US, or professionals who have spent a fair amount of time IN Africa.

So my apologies for using my brain and forming an opinion without benefit of paying someone to teach me how to think.

Thank you for your service.

Bob

It's not a matter of advanced formal education or lack of same, it's a matter of jumping to conclusions based upon nothing more than hearsay and a couple of anecdotes. Certainly tribalism, religious differences, ethic differences are among the problems many African nations face, but they are not the only or even perhaps the most significant challenges. In many countries, those challenges are outranked by government corruption, poverty, lack of education, lack of food, water, housing, access to even primitive medical care.

If you want to appreciate the impact of tribalism on a country's inability to move forward, the best example probably is Afghanistan. It is not a country by any stretch of the imagination. It is just an outline on a map. My main foreign policy difference with the Obama is that he thinks our presence in that country is going to make a positive difference. Afghanistan is the very definition of dysfunctional tribalism.

Afghanistan was a functional country not too long ago
AFAIK something went veruy VERY wrong in the 70's
Kabul was one of the nicer ciyties to live in in the Middle East in the 50/60's iirc

Afghanistan was a functional country not too long ago
AFAIK something went veruy VERY wrong in the 70's
Kabul was one of the nicer ciyties to live in in the Middle East in the 50/60's iirc

Well, then, I am in favor of sending Rand Paul there to straighten things out.
There...we are back on topic.

I'm not "jumping to conclusions": I'm repeating what every native African I've ever met, as well as every person I've known who has visited the place, has said.

Afghanistan is (probably) our worst foreign policy move since Vietnam (and similar in more ways than most think). And a great example of where a little expense early would have saved us a big expense later...

Back
Top Bottom