• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RCA Viking Pro tablet slow start-up

I'm pretty pleased with my tablet, but it takes an abnormally long time to start up after turning on. The message says '.optimizing apps 1 of 1', and stays that way for 4 or 5 minutes before finally starting. Is this normal, or is there a way I can speed up start? It's not a major problem, but annoying just the same. Thanks for your help.

how often do you turn the tablet off? i have a few tablets and i rarely turn them off. powering the device on/off consistently can wear out the processor. android like windows have a bunch of steps before it can be turned on as well when it is being turned off. these steps, if done over and over again can wear out the chip. i just let mine sleep and every once in a while i will reboot the device. now if you plan on using the device only once in a while, then yes its a good idea to turn the device off. but i have two tablets scattered around the house that i use almost on a daily basis.

of course your tablet as well is getting quite old and as apps and even the internet speeds up, your device is starting to slow down. at some point many apps and even websites and browsers will not support your device.

the only thing you can do at this point is to try a factory reset and see if that helps, or just deal with the slow down.

Thank you for your help. How do you put tablet in sleep mode? When I momentarily hit the start button, a message asks 'shut down?' If I don't do anything, will it go to sleep? I've never heard that excessive shut-downs could hurt a processor. I'm pretty proficient with Windows OS. Perhaps android is different in this regard? Thanks again.
Also, can anything be done about the excessive 'app optimization' time.

yes....it is basically the timeout function. when the screen goes dark. and android will usually put apps to sleep that do not need to run in the background.

i also never really turn off my laptops and desktop computers for the same reason.

Thanks again for your help. You mentioned my device is getting old. I don't remember when I got it, but don't think it's more than a year or so. I use my Windows laptop much more often .When is an android device considered 'old'?

well i saw a date that your device came out in 2017. now you may have not bought it then, but it was sitting on a shelf some place without getting any updates. you might also will start to loose battery life more rapidly as well. your device i think has lollipop which came out in 2014. older os's will eventually have and end date for support where apps and even browsers and websites may not function as well.

Will a factory reset install a later OS?

No. A factory reset only clears the user data partition. Whatever OS you have installed at the time of reset will be the OS you have after the reset. However, that "optimizing" message you see is the OS recompiling apps after an OS update and should only happen once. The fact that you are seeing it with every boot means something's gone wrong with an app ... possibly a system app. I would first clear the cache's for all your apps and then clear the system cache. Then reboot. You will most likely see the message again, but then reboot a second time and it should be gone. If not, a factory reset might be in order.

Back
Top Bottom