• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reboot causes date to reset to 1/1/2000

crabocado

Jul 11, 2012
The problem is: Every time I reboot the device (i.e. press and hold power button until it shuts off; press again to start up) I find that the date has reset to 1/1/2000. This probably started a few weeks ago.

When the device powers down on its own, this does not happen. (Not sure why it powers down once in a while -- I assume some kind of crash.)

System is Android 2.3.6.

The reason I need to reboot it manually is to swap out a low battery while away from an electrical outlet (it's a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 -- that's one of the benefits of this device).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Instead of pressing and holding power, what happens when you long-press it and hit "power off" so that it shuts down properly?
Holding in power is kinda the same as pulling the battery

Sorry -- Yes, what you described (long press, choose "power off" from options) is exactly what I do to shut down. I don't / didn't think there is any other way to shut my device down (other than pull the battery out which I have never done).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones