• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Removing root/going back to stock?

It seems that rooting the Fascinate and fixing the Google Search issue on the soft key and removing some bloatware is pretty easy, and I'm actually contemplating it once I get a Fascinate. Here are my questions:

If I root the phone, I would not get OTA updates, when 2.2 came out?

I would have to remove the root in order to get that OTA update to 2.2?

To remove the root, I would enter the following into a command prompt on the phone or on my PC?

How To Remove Root

adb shell
su (its going to ask you for permission on your phone so hit allow)
rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
rm /system/xbin/busybox
rm /system/xbin/su
exit

Once I removed the root, the OTA update would just come up?

Is there a difference between unrooting and returning my phone to stock?
How to go back To stock - Android Forums

Thanks in advance,

Yes if you unroot and restore the ROM back to default status then a OTA would be received and accepted

I hope that someone can clear this up. It was to my understanding that we would not need to unroot to recieve the update. As long as we saved/moved everything to our SD cards. Can someone clear this up please. Thank you

I hope that someone can clear this up. It was to my understanding that we would not need to unroot to recieve the update. As long as we saved/moved everything to our SD cards. Can someone clear this up please. Thank you
You will get both answers to that questions. Some rooted phones can and some cant. No way to predict if the SF can. Best to take the couple minutes it will take to unroot if we ever get official word on the OTA for Froyo

I think it probably depends on whether or not you've removed some of the bloat apps as it seems people who have gone that route have run into problems. If you're just rooted on the stock rom, you should be fine but the update will probably break root so you're better off just to go ahead and remove it.

Back
Top Bottom