• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replacement Commando stuck on old Android software

mattt181

Feb 28, 2015
I've had a Casio Commando since mid 2011. My original phone has hardware issues(phone mic static, external speaker phone can't be understood, internal phone memory full) so I bought a replacement on Ebay that's in good condition. I've been putting off switching to the replacement phone because I hate the change over process of setting up a new phone. Well, I switch to it yesterday.

My original, old phone was on Android version 2.3.3 and build 150.
The new to me phone is on Android 2.2.1 and build 030.

When I went to the Google play store, my apps, most of them will not download because it says "Your device isn't compatible with this version." I suspect it's because of the older Android and build version on this phone. It's been 24 hours and the phone has not updated to 2.3.3. Will it ever or has Verizon taken out all auto downloads since this is a 4 year old phone?

What is the best way to deal with this issue I'm having? I've read a little about rooting the phone but don't understand it or see the reason to do that vs. just getting the phone up to 2.3.3, Gingerbread?

Another side issue, I'd like to transfer ALL info off my old phone to this new/replacement phone. Is there some app, service, software, technique to transfer text messages to the new phone? It appears my pics and contacts migrated over to the new phone with the SD card. Is there anything else to transfer over that I'm forgetting about.

If there was a way to repair my old phone and free up internal memory, I would've gone that route, but it seemed like the old phone was dying a slow death. It still powers up and is useable, but the mic and speaker problems were just too much to deal with on a phone I use for work. There were also times it just would not turn on, even with a charged battery. That always worked itself out, but I suspect there may possibly be hardware damage internally that lead to the quirkiness. I could never get the internal phone memory above 60mb available.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

Thank you for the reply and offer of assistance.

It is best to get this phone up to Gingerbread, or root it? I just want to be able to install apps that I use on my old phone. One app in particular that will not install is Yahoo Mail app. When I go to install the app, it says "Your device isn't compatible with this version."

Upvote 0
"Will it ever [update] or has Verizon taken out all auto downloads since this is a 4 year old phone?"
-In order to update the phone, you must first turn off your wifi. Then go to settings->about phone->System updates. Since your version of the commando is so old, you should get a message saying you should update. If it does not say you have to update, then the update service must be off. If nothing happens when you tap System updates, then the owner before you disabled the updating software.

"I've read a little about rooting the phone but don't understand it or see the reason to do that vs. just getting the phone up to 2.3.3, Gingerbread?"
-It is recommended to try to get the phone to go through the update hoops, rather than move directly to Gingerbread. Because your on M30, it is not possible to move to M110 or beyond because somewhere in between, there is an update to the modem part of the phone, which cannot be patched with simply a new ROM. If you were to move to Gingerbread without updating the modem part of the phone, you would loose the ability to make and receive calls, text messages, and data over 3g.

"I'd like to transfer ALL info off my old phone to this new/replacement phone. Is there some app, service, software, technique to transfer text messages to the new phone"
-Titanium Backup from the Play Store. With that, you can backup all of your installed applications and data, and backup the data from your system applications (date and time, wifi networks, accounts, settings, etc.) It will also back up your text messages. Backup to your sdcard and then pop it into your new phone and restore from there. I can go more in-depth with this when the time comes. BTW you need root in order to use Titanium Backup
-As for your other data, most of it should already be on the sdcard. If pictures and videos are still on the internal memory, then use the old ES file explorer to make a folder on your sdcard and then copy and paste the folders from your internal memory to your sdcard folder.

"If there was a way to repair my old phone...It still powers up and is usable, but the mic and speaker problems were just too much to deal with on a phone I use for work."
-A possible solution could be to take the working parts from the new phone and put them into your old phone. I have made several videos about how to replace parts on the Commando.

"I could never get the internal phone memory above 60mb available."
-This is a common problem with this phone. The storage space is simply not there. I would fix it by wiping the cache and data (basicly a factory reset) and then use titanium backup to get the storage space back. There are two other ways to get more storage. One is moving compatible apps to the sdcard, which your probably know about. The other way is to partition your sdcard and basically use that as an extension of your internal memory. At that point, the size of your internal memory is only limited to the size of your sdcard. I now have 6GB internal storage on mine from a 32GB card, for example.

I can't tell you what to do, but I recommend you consider: (in the following order)
-Trying to update the phone
-Seeing if you can fine similar apps for that old android version of the new phone (just in case)
-Take the phones apart to move the parts from the 2.2 phone into the 2.3 phone.

"Thank you in advance for any and all advice."
-You're welcome! As I always say:
Anything to make the phone more enjoyable...

Upvote 0
In searching the web, I ran across this page. http://www.casiogzone.com/us/download/index.html#android233_1st

Anyone out there successfully downloaded and updated an out of date software version Commando from that page? It would appear that all software updates are contained on that page. Hoping someone else has been to that page and had success...looking for a BTDT person. Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0
Can you tell me exactly what happens when you press settings->about phone->system updates?

You technically can go directly to m150 but you will loose cell reception. I have a possible fix for that, but let's get to that only if need be.

The link you show goes to the commando source code for the system. It requires you to make a build of the software, which is basicly building M150. We already have working builds of M150, so making a build from the software would be redundant.

Upvote 0
From what I remember when I had the phone active on my Verizon phone #, I would choose "Check for Updates" it would think for a short while, and then flash a message "No Updates Available." It has been a few weeks since I had the phone activated so my memory might be off by a word or two. I spoke at length with Verizon tech support and it sounds like Verizon HAS removed the updates from their system since they consider this phone "retired." Basic B.S. in my opinion for a phone that is only a few years old and continues to work on the Verizon system.

If I could download & use the apps I've been using on my broken phone on the build 30 phone, I wouldn't even sweat it. However, when I went to the Play Store to re-download My Apps, the first one said "Incompatible with Software Version" or something to that effect. I'm certain other Apps would be the same situation.

Reactions: Willster419
Upvote 0
Yeah, it sounds like the software updates have been turned off for this phone. That would have been the easiest way.
The other thing we can try is to flash not only your system, but your modem firmware as well. Some things to note:
1. You need to do a nandroid backup of everything. In case it does not work, you at least have an old working version of the phone's OS. I think it will also backup the phone's radio image as well.
2. You need to root your phone and then download the latest casio auto root plus tool. It will help us in this process.
3. I need to modify the M150 update so that it only flashes the radio image.
If this works we will officially have a way to being old phones up to speed with the M150 ROM directly, without having to go through each update in increments of each update number. Would you like to go though with this?

Upvote 0
It's about time I get back to this thread for an update. A lot has transpired since my last reply. On a whim, I contacted the seller that I bought the replacement phone(w/ version 30 software) from. I asked if he had any way to update the phone.....which has answer was no, however, he offered to send me another phone with current software on it.

So, I now have what appears to be a functioning Commando with Android version 2.3.3 and Build number C771M150.

Once I had this phone in my hands, I powered it up, and had it link up to the wi-fi in my office since this phone is not yet "activated" with Verizon. I got it on wi-fi so I could start downloading the apps I have on my old phone that has hardware issues, in preparation to make the switch from malfunctioning phone to replacement phone.

Denied, again! Just to start off, the Yahoo Mail app will not download, even on 2.3.3 & build 150. Now I'm stuck and not sure what to do. Basically what I'm trying to do here is "ghost" this replacement phone with my old phone, and then have Verizon de-activate the old phone and activate the replacement phone in it's place.

Is there any way to have existing apps that are on my old phone transfer to my replacement phone without trying to download them thru the Play Store?

If not, what other options do I have?

I am assuming as time has marched on, that the app providers removed the versions that are compatible with 2.3.3 & build 150. Totally sucks!!!

I am not opposed to rooting the phone and getting the internal memory to share the SD card. I have moved as many of the apps to the SD card as it will allow me right now. It appears to not be an option for every app. I have manually dumped the cache from each individual app. Is there a more efficient way to do that?

Just to repeat....I'm just trying to "ghost" the replacement phone with the old phone that has hardware issues while keeping the same apps and data on the replacement phone. Possible? Thanks a million!

Upvote 0
It's about time I get back to this thread for an update. A lot has transpired since my last reply. On a whim, I contacted the seller that I bought the replacement phone(w/ version 30 software) from. I asked if he had any way to update the phone.....which has answer was no, however, he offered to send me another phone with current software on it.

So, I now have what appears to be a functioning Commando with Android version 2.3.3 and Build number C771M150.

Once I had this phone in my hands, I powered it up, and had it link up to the wi-fi in my office since this phone is not yet "activated" with Verizon. I got it on wi-fi so I could start downloading the apps I have on my old phone that has hardware issues, in preparation to make the switch from malfunctioning phone to replacement phone.

Denied, again! Just to start off, the Yahoo Mail app will not download, even on 2.3.3 & build 150. Now I'm stuck and not sure what to do. Basically what I'm trying to do here is "ghost" this replacement phone with my old phone, and then have Verizon de-activate the old phone and activate the replacement phone in it's place.

Is there any way to have existing apps that are on my old phone transfer to my replacement phone without trying to download them thru the Play Store?

If not, what other options do I have?

I am assuming as time has marched on, that the app providers removed the versions that are compatible with 2.3.3 & build 150. Totally sucks!!!

I am not opposed to rooting the phone and getting the internal memory to share the SD card. I have moved as many of the apps to the SD card as it will allow me right now. It appears to not be an option for every app. I have manually dumped the cache from each individual app. Is there a more efficient way to do that?

Just to repeat....I'm just trying to "ghost" the replacement phone with the old phone that has hardware issues while keeping the same apps and data on the replacement phone. Possible? Thanks a million!

yes, it is possible to ghost the phone. It can be done whether you want to root or not. If you don't, you can restore the applications. If you want to root to get more, you can get the data from the applications as well. You can also get the android id, which acts as the id for the google play store and account. It will make google think that it is 100% the original phone. Which would you like to do?

Upvote 0
So, it is possible to download older versions of app's that I cannot find in the Play Store onto the replacement phone? I have already powered up the replacement phone and logged in with my Google ID which allows me to access the Play Store thru Wi-Fi, even though the phone is not "activated" with Verizon. From what I've tried, which is basic at best, I can't get old versions on the apps I'm using.

If the only way to increase the internal memory is by rooting, I'll probably go that route.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for all the guidance. Since I know absolutely nothing about rooting a phone and given the fact that my old phone is almost un-useable today, I may just put off rooting the replacement phone and just do the ghost thing right away so I can swap to the replacement phone asap. I can always root it later on, once I have it up and running/activated.

What is the process for ghost-ing over all the apps, data, and text messages? Basically I need whatever is not on the SD card. Thank you so much.

Upvote 0
Basically you get an SMS backup app, and an app backup app. Have them both backup to the sdcard then you can manually restore the apps, which includes the SMS app. Then you can restore text messages.
Do you have any suggested apps to do what I'm wanting to do?

yes, it is possible to ghost the phone. It can be done whether you want to root or not. If you don't, you can restore the applications. If you want to root to get more, you can get the data from the applications as well. You can also get the android id, which acts as the id for the google play store and account. It will make google think that it is 100% the original phone. Which would you like to do?

If I'm going to use some other app to accomplish this, then will I not be downloading any apps from the Play Store and what is shown in "My Apps?" What is the procedure you were referencing above with "restoring" the applications and using the android id?

Sorry if I am asking dumb questions, I'm just trying to wrap my brain around how this process will work?

Since I've already attempted clean installs from the Play Store and they are not available due to software compatibility issues, what is listed above is my only option, correct?

Upvote 0
Do you have any suggested apps to do what I'm wanting to do?

If I'm going to use some other app to accomplish this, then will I not be downloading any apps from the Play Store and what is shown in "My Apps?" What is the procedure you were referencing above with "restoring" the applications and using the android id?

Sorry if I am asking dumb questions, I'm just trying to wrap my brain around how this process will work?

Since I've already attempted clean installs from the Play Store and they are not available due to software compatibility issues, what is listed above is my only option, correct?

It's fine, I need to explain more anyway when I went back to re-read it.
here are the two applications I would recommend. You can download them onto the old phone from the play store.
For SMS backup and restore - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore
For app backup - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tw.nicky.AppBackupReinstall

Again, while the app will backup the old apk's, it will not backup the data. This is as far as you will get with the phone trasnfer not being rooted.

If you wish to root both phones, you can use titanium backup as well.
First, root both phones and install titanium backup.
On the old phone, backup the app and data of the apps you want to transfer to your new phone.
Then find the "app" called 'Settings Storage' and backup. This will allow you to change your Android ID.
Do either of the following:

Copy the entire "titaniumBackup" folder from your old phone's sd card and transfer it to your new phone's sd card.
Or,
take the old phone's sd card and place it in your new phone.

Then, setup titanuim backup to find the "titaniumBackup" folder. From there, you can restore the applications. If you want to view all of them in the folder, you press menu, filters, and filter by backed up.
Then, press menu, under the list "your device", tap, manage android ID->restoere from backup->select->yes, do it. it will reboot. From there, you should be all set!

If you still arn't sure, reply, pm, or even skype me at Willster419.
Hope this helps,
Willster419

Upvote 0
Well, it took a while to get back to this. Thank you again for the help. I was able to transfer all the texts over to the replacement phone with the app you suggested above. Very easy to use and no hiccups.

I am down to the apps part of the switch over and for some reason the replacement phone is not "seeing" the apps backed up on the SD card, if AppBackupReinstall did in fact store them on the SD card. I did use the suggested app AppBackupReinstall. I've found this app to not be very user friendly in that I can't choose where to store the apps. Is the default on the SD card? When I physically move the SD card to the replacement phone, which also has AppBackupReinstall downloaded from Play Store, I can open the app, but the only option is to copy that phones apps to a "save" file. Am I missing something obvious about the Reinstall portion of this process?

Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0
Well, it took a while to get back to this. Thank you again for the help. I was able to transfer all the texts over to the replacement phone with the app you suggested above. Very easy to use and no hiccups.

I am down to the apps part of the switch over and for some reason the replacement phone is not "seeing" the apps backed up on the SD card, if AppBackupReinstall did in fact store them on the SD card. I did use the suggested app AppBackupReinstall. I've found this app to not be very user friendly in that I can't choose where to store the apps. Is the default on the SD card? When I physically move the SD card to the replacement phone, which also has AppBackupReinstall downloaded from Play Store, I can open the app, but the only option is to copy that phones apps to a "save" file. Am I missing something obvious about the Reinstall portion of this process?

Thank you in advance.

Glad to hear the messaging backup app worked out for you. I remember the UI for appBackupReinstall not being as friendly as it could be. Personally, I started to use titanium backup before i got to this phase of moving phones.

What I can tell you is this: I dug up one of my commandos to test the app again myself, and found the following. To backup the apps, you check them off in the main list, then press menu->backup. They are then on the sdcard. on your new phone, if you have installed the old ES file explorer, you can go to your sdcard/AppBackup folder, and the backed up apps will be there. from there just tap to open, install, and boom you're done (hopefully) ;)

Upvote 0
Ok, you may have pointed out where I'm going wrong. On the replacement phone I also downloaded and installed AppBackupReinstall. My line of thinking was that in order to open the backup file, I would need the same software app that created it on the replacement phone. I was trying to access the backup from the app. So you mentioned ES file explorer and I do not know what that is, but I'd assume it's another app from the play store? Will the apps stored on the SD card open correctly or does AppBackupReinstall compress or change them where they're only re-openable inside of the app platform?

Upvote 0
Well, I can't thank you enough. Everything you suggested and I have successfully made the switch to the replacement phone. I searched the Play Store for ES File Explorer before checking back here and downloaded some version of it and it worked to open the apps I needed to transfer over.

My whole reason for wanting to keep the apps is because I cannot download them from the Play Store because when I try to, I get a message that says incompatible with software version on this phone. One app in particular is the "Yahoo Mail App." My primary email account is with Yahoo so it made sense to use the Yahoo Mail App. Now that it is installed on the replacement phone, I see that the shortcomings I was experiencing with it on the old phone carried over to the replacement phone.....such as no new email notification in the status bar. The app works but I have to manually refresh it when in the inbox.

That leads me to another question....Is there somewhere online where I can find older versions of various apps I've used on this phone in the past that I can no longer download thru the Play Store? Such as....I'd like a clean install of Yahoo Mail app vs. the transfer of the existing from my old phone. There are others I'd like to have on my phone again as well.

Now that I'm "up and running" on a functional phone, I will probably pursue rooting this phone. Why, I'm not exactly sure, but I guess it's the best thing to do since "everyone is doing it." I have no remaining warranty to possibly void, and the biggest thing that attracts me to rooting is the ability to share memory between the internal phone memory and the SD card. I'd imagine once I get all the apps I use on the phone that the available memory will go down below 100mb, which is where the phone really seems to bog.

I read where you mentioned having the rooting process in a YouTube video. Should I assume your username there is the same or similar? I plan to watch that. Again....I cannot thank you enough for all the help!!!

Upvote 0
Well, I can't thank you enough. Everything you suggested and I have successfully made the switch to the replacement phone. I searched the Play Store for ES File Explorer before checking back here and downloaded some version of it and it worked to open the apps I needed to transfer over.

My whole reason for wanting to keep the apps is because I cannot download them from the Play Store because when I try to, I get a message that says incompatible with software version on this phone. One app in particular is the "Yahoo Mail App." My primary email account is with Yahoo so it made sense to use the Yahoo Mail App. Now that it is installed on the replacement phone, I see that the shortcomings I was experiencing with it on the old phone carried over to the replacement phone.....such as no new email notification in the status bar. The app works but I have to manually refresh it when in the inbox.

That leads me to another question....Is there somewhere online where I can find older versions of various apps I've used on this phone in the past that I can no longer download thru the Play Store? Such as....I'd like a clean install of Yahoo Mail app vs. the transfer of the existing from my old phone. There are others I'd like to have on my phone again as well.

Now that I'm "up and running" on a functional phone, I will probably pursue rooting this phone. Why, I'm not exactly sure, but I guess it's the best thing to do since "everyone is doing it." I have no remaining warranty to possibly void, and the biggest thing that attracts me to rooting is the ability to share memory between the internal phone memory and the SD card. I'd imagine once I get all the apps I use on the phone that the available memory will go down below 100mb, which is where the phone really seems to bog.

I read where you mentioned having the rooting process in a YouTube video. Should I assume your username there is the same or similar? I plan to watch that. Again....I cannot thank you enough for all the help!!!

Yes, my YouTube account username is the same as my android forms account. In most cases, I post a link to the accompanying YouTube video within the topic on android forms.

In terms of finding old app versions, besides google "android yahoo app old version apk", you could try the application aptoide. Here's a link after searching on their website:
http://www.aptoide.com/search/view?search_top=yahoo+mail&x=0&y=0

Upvote 0
Wilster,
Regarding Matt 181 upgrade issue.
Wouldn't the easiest non-root way to do a get to get an update resistant phone be? :
1 back up everything to SD and transfer to computer (as you've already stated) via a File Manager
2 Unmount (or remove) the SD card. Unmounting has worked for me with no problems.
3 Do a "hard factory reset". Very different from factory reset from the phones menu.
Ya' know, where you push 3 buttons simultaneously. See
When done you're basically starting with a new (old) phone. Much different than the "factory reset" in the settings menu.
This process should delete/replace what ever is blocking a system update... in effect repair.
This video saved me last year. I'm a visual learner, I've gotta see it. Sadly I hadn't learned how to back up apps yet... duh:) I think it might help a lot of novices and is harmless as long as they back up their data and apps.
4 It takes time, ya gotta' let it do it's thing. Follow any prompted instructions.
5 You may be prompted to make a self dialing phone call and answer the prompt with one # (Maybe it's a Straight Talk thing?)
If so instillation will continue after responding to the prompt.
6 Skip instillation of Back Up Assistant if prompted to do so (it won't work with the upgrade).
It will try to install it, don't freak. Let it try.
It may take 15 mins before it tells you it's (BUA) not happening.
6A If it doesn't prompt after 15 mins, back out, the process will finish up and you should be fine.
7 It's done and I'm betting the build will be current and 2.3.3 will be installed.
7A (Doubt this is necessary) All the crap should that interfered with update should be cleared and replaced.
If for some reason it's still running 2.2 than go to update option in the phone's menu (never had to do this) and update again via the phone's menu (don't forget to dismount SD)
8 Unless the phone is damaged, the user should have an as up to date phone as the good folks at Verizon will let us.
Sadly, all the bloat will still be there, even the "retired" apps like the native email client and Bk Up Asst.
BUA thankfully doesn't appear to function on 2.3.3 but it still downloads a non-functioning version.
It will not run or use RAM (Verizon sucks so hard)
9 Install/Re-Mount the SD card.
10 Reinstall your apps and you're up and running with 2.3.3

Hope this helps those like me who might be a bit lower on the IT food chain!

Wilster, we corresponded a little bit on U Tube about 2 months ago.
If you remember, I'm not up for rooting (this is my only phone and rooting is way out of my wheel house).
If I screwed up I'd be bricked with no phone.
I'm currently laid off, can't afford that new Kyocera alternative:)
I'm with strait talk which is great, but I would guess rooting would become even more complex.
Regardless, too risky for me and this phone has a rep for being "uncooperative" with rooting.
I have to admit, I've seen screen shots of your ROM... awesome! Wish you lived next door:)

Honestly, I can live with the limitations of android 2.3.3 I like my indestructible relic.
When teaching Phys Ed nothing is gonna break it. No need for an Otter box, etc.
I just keep my collapsible reading glasses with me:)
I'm not into Facebook, Tweeting or any of that "social media" (oxymoron? :)
I'm writing this from a PC. Yeah folks, I'm a 20th century guy, "Don't go away mad, just go away!" :)
(anybody who didn't get that, I envy you're being under 35)

However if Verizon saw to bump us up to to 3.0 that would be great or even a later version of gingerbread that possibly has the "disable app" feature in "Manage Applications" menu, life would be a heck of a lot easier. Just disabling Naunce Voice would save me over 5mb.
Say, there's no way to force a 3.0 update w/out root? That's just a dream, right?

And of course I have a favor to ask.
I'd really like your opinion on this U Tube video on how to partition the SD card with the Internal Memory (non-root) using Mini Partition Tool Wizard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7-toPSPFdg&index=5&list=PLqFXb1brA1RKUNbqIp6f03ahB714aiwB5
Cnet gave the software really good review, I'm not sure what that's worth nowadays since their downloads often come with bloatware.

But even without root this would make life a hundred times easier. All that possible IM has me drooling.
If I can't disable the bloatware, with enough IM and RAM, just let it run. In theory this would increase RAM also, right. Maybe even room for a launcher for more functionality????

I currently have a class 4 SD card. I'm betting I should get a class 10 before trying this? From what I've read speed is extremely important, so as the SD card keeps up with/doesn't slow down the IM it is now part of.

Even if it fails, as long as I back everything up, I hard factory re-install and get back to where I was. I don't see how this could possibly brick the phone, but I defer to somebody with developer skills to be sure, and you da' man.

This is all conjecture... do you think it's do-able?

You're feedback would be invaluable. I asked a ton, take your time but I hope you'll get back to me.
You can just insert comments in color font if it's easier for you.

In my "chicken, non-root world" I've learned as I've gone along way to make a lot of changes and put it into an article called.... "Keeping that Internal Memory at a Manageable Level (non-root) for Dummies"
I'd like to submit it to you for critique, correction, suggestion, even props if there's any deserved.
(See, what unemployment does to a guy? :)

Daily Prevention/Maintenance:
After every re-boot/charge I manually disable the data from the useless apps to keep IM at a manageable place and avoid the "memory message". It works but it's so time consuming because 2.3.3 doesn't have a "disable app" feature. Although time consuming, this process isn't brain surgery.... but Naunce Voice can be an uncooperative piece of s*&t . Sometimes the data will clear and the app stays down, sometimes it pops right back up. I can't make any connection to other apps.

Task Killers:
I don't use task killers. Their counter productive. (having tried like most people)
No Greenify for 2.3.3. and I wouldn't count on it.
ES Task Manager is really good for cleaning cache. I avoid the other features and keep it on the SD Card.

File Management/Storage:
ES File Explorer is fantastic, I wish I'd learned this earlier. However File Explorer's last update sucks, as does TM's update (if you're running 2.3.3) Both apps want to download ES App Locker which requires more IM/RAM.
Hey, if I had a boatload of IM and RAM I could care less, but backing it up a version or two is often necessary for this phone. Not desirable, but necessary. So I took one step back with each app.

Obtaining Older APK's:
I'm finding it's easier to find 3rd party apk's, especially older ones on Bing. I guess Google doesn't care much for those searches:)
Adiptoe and Moongibe suck. (more later)
My main go to 3rd party sites are http://www.androiddrawer.com/ and http://www.apkmirror.com/
No download software or sign ups. I find them extremely secure.
Also, they often give a chronology of versions of an app, development dates, and system requirements and size.
They don't have everything so sometimes I have to go else where, but I've learned to be very cautious.

Installing 3rd Party APK's:
When installing a 3rd party apk's under application settings I have "Unknown Sources" checked under "application settings". This is necessary to remove a new version of Google Play Services.
I don't de-bug unless instructed to do so.

Also, I always download my apk's to my PC, but I don't always hook the phone up to the PC to install.
Some apps can be emailed/G-drived directly to the phone and installed without PC.
Hooking this phone up to PC requires you pay attention. All SD apps must be shut down, it's easy to overlook one, especially File Manager. If you hook up to PC w/ something running on SD, your PC won't recognize it and the phone will freeze and re-boot. Also, avoiding constant hook-ups is a little easier on the grommet that opens and closes for charging/USB. However if I am hooked up to the PC, I go ahead and back up everything on the SD, including all apps. At conclusion, before disconnecting go to the PC's task bar and click uninstall and wait for the "it's safe" message.

Controlling App downloads & Google Play Services (The Monster):
I've set Play Store to not auto update and never update the bloatware.
I have several versions of Google Play Services. For the last 6 months I was running GPS 4.3.24. to save IM.
After about a week the latest GPS version would usually install itself. I would just simply disable Android as Device Manager (you have to) and uninstall, clear cache and reinstall older version. Note: Make sure you don't have another device on Play store or Wi-Fi enabled. As soon as you uninstall manually stop Play Store & Maps. Clear the cache if there is any in these two apps.
Last week I didn't uninstall GPS Godzilla version. I'm trying to see if I can make it with their current monster in the IM. Also, some of the apps don't like the older GPS. Although I'm guessing there's a version between 4.3 and GPS Godzilla that might work.

Google Location Services:
I only check Google location service when I need Navigation (Pico works fine more later)
WTF ?Why should I use my data to let Google invade my privacy. Also, enabling location will crank up other apps. Remember, we don't get the disable option.

VZW Location Service:
Never. No Way.
Can you imagine all the bloat that would crank up?
Also, the service sucks. If I were driving and Google Maps stopped working, I'd get out my real atlas.
See kids, learning to read a map can be important. What happens if your phone goes out, your provider crashes, etc? Is Google gonna drive your car then, or worse Verizon?

Google Drive:
I found an ancient but, functional version Google Drive. 1.1.1.6, 10.54 mb. It's the smallest version that works.

Weather:
Weather App 3.2 (older version) by Marco Pinch 3.11 mb Great app!

Browser & Flash:
I have the latest version of Adobe Flash 11.1/12.86mb
I use Opera Mini. 7.6.4 (1.53 mb on SD).
Can I uninstall the Flash update without degrading Opera's function?
After trying all compatible browsers, I've found Opera Mini to be the best one for this phone @ 2.3.3.
Still, I rarely use the browser, even with Wi-Fi it's a miserable experience. This phone & OS aren't set up for browsers.

Shopping list:
Out of Milk older version 4.1.6 (5.88 mb on SD). Disable auto sync and save lots of RAM, even when in use.

Keyboard:
Smart Keyboard free trial, only 44.00KB. Amazing look and feel for such a small app.
Much smaller than Gingerbread and way nicer/functional.
The mike works great with Voice Search 2.1.1
I tried the pro version, but it has problems... go figure:) I even contacted the developer... nothin'.
But I got my Google charge reimbursed.

Voice to Text/Search:
Google Voice Search (retired) 2.1.1/ 4.21 mb
It's great. Works with keyboard and all apps that have voice input.

TTS:
Pico stock TTS app and language package are eliminated after upgrade to 2.3.3 or factory re-install.
I had to find the Pico Text to Voice app and Language Package to avoid being forced to install Svox, which isn't free, uses more IM/RAM and is just bells and whistles. Hell, I like the Pico voice, just set speech to slow.
The Pico apk's weren't at the usual sites. It took several days to find them.
Many times I thought I'd found them but the apk's were crap and they wouldn't load.
If anyone needs them please contact me and I'll send you the apk's. Sorry, I'm not sure if I have the right links anymore but I have the apk's.
Note: Google will occasionally override them and your TTS is just gone. I don't know why. Just reinstall from SD. (backing up is great:) Also, on "TTS settings" check "always use my settings".
It's also possible I may have accidentally disabled Pico during my daily data clearing of non-essential apps. Possibly Push To Talk??? I probably should've tried a re-boot first to see if the was eliminated, but I was in a hurry for an interview and needed navigation like yesterday.
Last year I lost sounds because I cleared out media, so it coulda' been me.

Alerts/SMS/Text
I currently use G-Tasks, only because you can no longer send an SMS alert from your Google Calendar. (Did I mention they suck?) However if I don't hear the notification it will repeat itself. Which can be a battery drainer.
I've tried filtering email alerts to text, seems to only work on "daily agenda" or everything . IFTTT will forward 100 email notifications to SMS for free. https://ifttt.com/join?recipe=295571
Still, I don't like having another entity in my business. Any suggestions?

When the phone was 2.2 there was plenty of room for Verizon Messenger which was a great app and so much better than the native. (I heard even task killers worked on 2.2?) But surprise...after update to 2.3.3 it was gone. I wasn't yet using a file manager and backing up apps and data... hey, I was a newbie. Now what's weird is Play Store listed it Verizon Messages one of my apps, (still does) it also lists it as "incompatible with your device".
I really liked that app, the interface was great and it was flawless. I have no way of finding out what version it was.

I've side-loaded the oldest version of Verizon Messages I could find, ver. 4.3.7 , using 22.84 mb. I can't find anything earlier, even though 3rd party sites claim to have one, it's always the same version or higher. It doesn't function well and is too big. Also, sometimes it will hang-up and just run. This ain't what I was running on 2.2 and I don't know where to find it (or what version it was). Verizon's site is useless in this regard.

I'll tell you why Adiptoe and Moongibe suck. They promise one thing and do another. When trying them out, they auto updated my bloatware. On line they advertised an older version of Verizon Messenger version that turned out to be a Cricket app. There site say's one thing, then when you install there downloader it's a cluster fox. Often there's parsing problems with their apps. I don't like have to download their software. Google is invasive enough.

Back to SMS/Text:
I hate the native messenger app for one huge reason. I can't enlarge the fonts. Neither the app nor the phone have that option. I know, get a launcher... but that takes IM and RAM. Counter productive.

I've scoured the net for stock android messenger for 2.3.7 or 3.0. Nothing. I've read their similar but have font size control. I don't even know if they'd work with 2.3.3? Play store has a few no frills apps very similar to my native with just a few more options. Trouble is they install and crash. And yeah, there listed as compatible with my device.

I found a really small, SD loading app called Spare Parts 232 kb on SD. It's free on Playstore.
You can do some pretty cool things, most of which I disable because they'll use RAM, but some actually save RAM. Most importantly you can enlarge font size. One problem, for some reason it resorts back to default, so it was helpful with the Native SMS app, but only to a point.
Big Font Change and similar apps are great ideas but I haven't found one to work effectively on this phone.

I've tried a ton of different text apps;
Handcent (sucks and is ugly, makes native look sweet).
Google's SMS isn't compatible (I swear they're trying to push us Gingerbread people out) but it looks great.
Chomp, which would be ok if they let me use my google account to pay and get rid of adds... they won't. Stupid!
SMS Droid (crashed)
Messaging Lite (crashed)
Messaging SMS (great but no font size option)
Quick Touch Text SMS (loads on SD, 2.32 mb) but after 2 weeks full of ads which interfered with voice to text... and no font size option.
Text Secure... if you have manual font control, this is a great app. If I had font control I'd use it. Spare Parts had no effect on this app. Bummer.
All these SMS/Text apps were in the reasonable to very low range in regards to IM.

Finding the right SMS/Text app, it's like I'm looking for the perfect woman:) (see the movie "Her" :) There's always an issue, (w/the apps, not the women) usually either lack of font size option, adds or too much IM.

A Winner? ;
Well it's early yet, only been a few days but I think I've found my gal.
I'm now using an app I always thought was full of bells and whistles and had no interest in.... Go Pro.
But this an early version, 4.52 Like her younger, cuter sister. Low maintenance/drama too.

No stupid bells and whistles, font size option and works on the SD card 5.58 MB. No Widget either.
Oh, it wants to update. It's asked me once, telling me about the danger "blah blah". (she's worried about me:)
At least it let me disable future warnings. You tell me, what is safe?
Well I guess the native or Text Secure are safest. But I'm not using it if I can't see it. FYI, I'm not legally blind, but you know how small this screen is.

Security:
Switched from McAfee to Avast. Saved a lot of IM/RAM and Avast has a good rep.
Still if anyone can suggest free security that's under 18.33 mb and keep you safe I'm listening.
Also, for all of McAfee's faults it would take over as administrator, which kept Android (Google) out of the driver's seat. However this was a paid version and ran like 40 mb.

Email Client:
Verizon retirement of that little email app caused a lot of problems. No whistles but it was very small, a little ugly and very functional. I only needed one client, not two.
I have both google and Hotmail accounts (hey don't laugh, back in the day Hotmail was golden:)
So I have a gmail app 4.38MB and currently use Aquamail 18.62 for my Hotmail accounts.
I know that's a lot of IM (Aquamail), but it's the smallest quality app I could find for HM.
Microsoft's app is huge and their discontinuing support. Hotmail is becoming problematic on android, as it tries to be like Gmail. (stupid-stupid)
I find gmail is intrusive, takes over without your permission and collects data. I'm not switching for in/convenience to have them gander over my personal data, i.e. data, job applications w/SS #'s, banking, etc.

There was an email app that looked perfect on play store... Email Box Fast Mail. Around 5 mb.
Resembled the retired stock email client. Unfortunately after it installs, it opens, it crashes. Tried multiple times.

Trust Google?:
I met a contractor for Google. He told me we're each worth about $300 + in revenue via our personal data. Think about that and corporate motivation.
I had three separate Google accounts, one was work (not by choice) which used my last name (didn't dig that). But all were created at separate locations, separate times and the non work accounts had dummy names.
Still, last year, when signing in a message popped up suggesting I combine them into one. WTF?!! I don't want my dummy account connected to my dating account to my work account. I declined. This is why I use Firefox. This is why I'm using private browsing right now.
Well last week they did it anyway. They busted me on my IP... "for my convenience". Fascists! :)
I have 4 Hotmail accounts, I've never been prompted for any of that nonsense... although it's probably coming. So the idea of dumping aquamail and forwarding my hotmail to Gmail.... not this boy.

I can hear some of you, "Hey you're using a third party app for your Hotmail, that's not safe".
Depending on the sender I can wait to open it on my PC when I get home. Aquamail is add free, the catch is you only get two accounts. The ratings are pretty high and I've "interfaced' with the developer.

Background/Wallpaper:
I figured out how to disable the wallpaper.
Just downloaded a solid black photo instead. (less IM than "black wallpaper apps")

Widgets:
I avoid apps that require widgets and/ or avoid the widget unless necessary. (another reason to love older Go Pro)
I took all the VZ widgets off months ago except for the clock, and I use the smaller version. I don't use any of that "Adventure"crap. I'm too old to be a boy scout.

Verizon Bloatware:
If the phone had tons of memory I'd consider them luxuries and occasionally use them.
I might use them when I hike or mountain bike, but when I'm out and about I don't want my phone to crash and have to disable them via data after using them. What garbage!
There's so many third party apps that do a better job... again if we at least had the "disable app" feature.

The battery:
Another great little SD app for this phone is called Overcharged only 68.0 kb.
It's very simple, it monitors batter usage and charging. When you're charged it makes a sound. You don't overcharge, you extend battery life.
I choose to disable it when not charging since I have the little green bar at the top of the home screen I don't need the battery percentage .
Hey, every little bit of RAM counts. And doesn't KB and SD sound so nice?
Free, no adds, none of that nonsense from all those "battery savers" I tried when I was a "virgin".

Problematic Loaded Apps:
When/if I can get Naunce Voice to clear data I have about 70 free mb of IM and run at about half RAM capacity.
If I back down to an older version of Google Services ("services"... another oxymoron) I can save over another 20-30 mb of IM and more RAM.
No matter how much you clear out data, the daily re-boot will give you back some much needed IM.
So that's this Dummy's Guide.

Recommendation:
There is not one site dedicated to Gingerbread phones, apps, helping to find low memory functional apps, tips and trix, etc. Just specific phones. I've found info on other sites that was helpful and I'm sure gingerbread users with other phones could learn a lot here.
So we sure could use a gingerbread site. Instead of an article hear and an article there. Usually the sites showing up in the search have nothing to do with what your looking for. Example I search "android 2.3 and small, low memory sms/text app" I get "Today's 10 best Text app" My phone isn't compatible with Textra or Google Text, etc. It's not just the first few hits, it's the majority. Or you get the reverse, a dead link from 2011.
Semantically no matter how you word your search you get shite.
In regards to a site. No, I ain't doing it... unless someone wants to give me my teacher salary and benefits:)

Maybe everybody who has something to add can throw it on here?

I eagerly await Wilster's review and the masses reaction.
Peace

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones