• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replacement Commando stuck on old Android software

Fast forward another year and I'm back to needing a solution to my Casio Commando problems. For the last year or so, the replacement phone I bought off Ebay with the latest Verizon version of software has worked fine, other than internal phone memory always eventually bumping up against the 40mb lower threshold that wreaks havoc on this phone.

Well, 10 days ago I dropped this phone and managed to crack the screen/LCD. The phone still works, but I have big black blotches all of the screen where the cracks are. I've had one of these phones for over 5 years and never cracked a screen even with having dropped it many many times. So I'm now at a crossroads. I'd like to keep this phone, or this type of phone. I have 2 other Commandos besides the one with the cracked screen/LCD. One is my original Commando with the bad phone mic. The other one I have is the good condition used phone that is stuck on the old Android 2.2.1 and build 030.

I'm tempted to try the process to manually update the 2.2.1, build 030 phone. How difficult is it and will I positively be able to get this phone up to a use-able Android version? I've never rooted a phone so I'm a little worried it will be ruined in the process.

The other option I saw as a possibility was to have the screen/LCD taken from the phone with the bad mic and have it installed into the broken screen phone I'm still using. One of the local repair shops told me $50 to do that screen/LCD swap. Is it even possible to swap that part?

Any other better suggestions how to get back to a phone without a cracked screen/LCD?

Also looking for the best option to free up internal phone memory. I have already moved as many apps as will go to the SD card. I do have a lot of saved texts and it just takes forever to weed thru which messages to delete. I have to go thru them one by one so I do a bunch when I have spare time. I do notice an improvement in internal phone memory when I delete texts.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones