• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Restore Google Assistant Beep/chime WITHOUT Voice Access or Switch Access

DripTCG

Lurker
Jun 27, 2023
Hi there,

I just upgraded to a S23 Ultra from an S10 and noticed that "Ok Google" doesnt make its distinctive chime anymore, which i really liked because it gave me confirmation that it was listening without me having to look at the screen.

Thru scouring the interwebs i figured out that both the Voice Access and Switch Access toggles can bring back the beep, but they have other undesirable backdraws (namely they make the youtube app vibrate whenever info cards are shown, and there doesnt seem to be a way to remove the permision to make the phone vibrate).

So im looking for a way to restore "Ok Google" making a beep when called that doesnt involve Switch Access or Voice Access. All help is appreciated :) thanks

was this always like this? my z fold 4 does not have a switch access option. it has always beeped for me. weird that a s23 ultra is doing this. have you rebooted your phone?
Thanks for the reply.

Its been like this since i bought it, which was just 2 weeks ago. Apparently it has to do with some google update removing the beep, but whats weird to me is that if that is true then why did it still beep on my S10, since anyways that device was up to date regarding software.

Also the swich acces and voice access options can be downloaded from the galaxy store iirc. They are for accesibility, so they aren't necessarily gonna be in the settings by default. If by reboot u mean a simple turn of and on, then yes i have.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are all of your volumes up?
Thanks for the idea. I just maxed them all out to test, and still nothing :(

Also if i turn on Switch/Voice access i can hear the beep whenever i say "ok google", so it definitely can make the sound, but like i said i will not be using my phone with either of those options enabled, since i dont like the side-effects of those options

Upvote 0
What sort if works is of you add a second language to assistant. You won't be able to use 'answer'and 'stop' commands but it may bring the beep back, maybe. It works for me but not for some others who've tried it. Assistant is quirky at best in my experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What sort if works is of you add a second language to assistant. You won't be able to use 'answer'and 'stop' commands but it may bring the beep back, maybe. It works for me but not for some others who've tried it. Assistant is quirky at best in my experience.
Thanks for the idea! Apparently i already had two languages (english and spanish) so i tried messing around by removing and re adding a language, but unfortunately still no beep :'(

Upvote 0
have you tried a factory reset? my phone has been updated to the latest android os 13 with one ui 5.1 and i do not have an issue with the chime.
I havent tried a factory reset, but the phone was (and effectively still is) literally brand new, so im not sure if a reset would make muchf a differece. So unfortunately im not gonna try that option (partly cuz im too lazy to back up my stuff and then reload everything), but thank you for the suggestion

Upvote 0
Hi there,

I just upgraded to a S23 Ultra from an S10 and noticed that "Ok Google" doesnt make its distinctive chime anymore, which i really liked because it gave me confirmation that it was listening without me having to look at the screen.

Thru scouring the interwebs i figured out that both the Voice Access and Switch Access toggles can bring back the beep, but they have other undesirable backdraws (namely they make the youtube app vibrate whenever info cards are shown, and there doesnt seem to be a way to remove the permision to make the phone vibrate).

So im looking for a way to restore "Ok Google" making a beep when called that doesnt involve Switch Access or Voice Access. All help is appreciated :) thanks
Greetings,

It is comprehensible that you yearn for the singular resonance that "Ok Google" once emanated from your S10. On select devices, the sonorous chime may be intricately entwined with specific configurations, rendering customization a somewhat intricate endeavor. However, permit me to proffer a couple of discerning recommendations that may prove efficacious in your quest:

Examine Google Assistant Configurations:

Launch the Google application on your S23 Ultra.
Tap upon your profile icon, adorning the zenithal right-hand corner.
Navigate to the "Assistant" section.
Descend the digital scroll to "Assistant devices" and discern your mobile device.
Scrutinize settings pertaining to "Speech output" or "Voice response." Within, you may discern an option to activate or deactivate the sonorous resonance accompanying the "Ok Google" utterance.
Scrutinize Sound Configurations:

Transgress into your mobile's system settings.
Voyage into the realm of "Sound & vibration" or its cognate terminology.
Seek out "Google Assistant" or "Voice Assistant" configurations.
Therein, ascertain whether a choice exists to activate or tailor the chime that accompanies vocal directives.
Exploration of Third-Party Applications:

It is prudent to explore third-party applications accessible within the confines of the Google Play Store. These applications oftentimes provide a panoply of choices to personalize the "Ok Google" vocal trigger, potentially enabling you to incorporate a bespoke chime or auditory embellishment when engaging Google Assistant.

A Discourse with Samsung/Google:

In instances where direct settings are conspicuously elusive, contemplation of submitting feedback to both Samsung and Google is not unwarranted. Should they be inundated with a plethora of entreaties from users desiring this feature, they may contemplate its inclusion in forthcoming software updates.

Contemplate Alternative Wakening Verbiage:

Should you exhibit an amenable disposition toward embracing an alternative wakening phrase, do consider alternative options such as "Hey Google" or "Okay Google." These alternate utterances may engender distinct auditory phenomena when summoning Google Assistant.

It bears reminding that the landscape of software and configurations can fluctuate markedly across disparate phone models and iterations of the Android operating system. As such, the precise steps or configurational possibilities may exhibit variance. Endeavor to experiment with these suggestions judiciously, and assess whether any prove efficacious in restoring the chime to your predilection, thereby obviating the recourse to less preferable alternatives alluded to in your original discourse.

Reactions: DripTCG
Greetings,

It is comprehensible that you yearn for the singular resonance that "Ok Google" once emanated from your S10. On select devices, the sonorous chime may be intricately entwined with specific configurations, rendering customization a somewhat intricate endeavor. However, permit me to proffer a couple of discerning recommendations that may prove efficacious in your quest:

Examine Google Assistant Configurations:

Launch the Google application on your S23 Ultra.
Tap upon your profile icon, adorning the zenithal right-hand corner.
Navigate to the "Assistant" section.
Descend the digital scroll to "Assistant devices" and discern your mobile device.
Scrutinize settings pertaining to "Speech output" or "Voice response." Within, you may discern an option to activate or deactivate the sonorous resonance accompanying the "Ok Google" utterance.
Scrutinize Sound Configurations:

Transgress into your mobile's system settings.
Voyage into the realm of "Sound & vibration" or its cognate terminology.
Seek out "Google Assistant" or "Voice Assistant" configurations.
Therein, ascertain whether a choice exists to activate or tailor the chime that accompanies vocal directives.
Exploration of Third-Party Applications:

It is prudent to explore third-party applications accessible within the confines of the Google Play Store. These applications oftentimes provide a panoply of choices to personalize the "Ok Google" vocal trigger, potentially enabling you to incorporate a bespoke chime or auditory embellishment when engaging Google Assistant.

A Discourse with Samsung/Google:

In instances where direct settings are conspicuously elusive, contemplation of submitting feedback to both Samsung and Google is not unwarranted. Should they be inundated with a plethora of entreaties from users desiring this feature, they may contemplate its inclusion in forthcoming software updates.

Contemplate Alternative Wakening Verbiage:

Should you exhibit an amenable disposition toward embracing an alternative wakening phrase, do consider alternative options such as "Hey Google" or "Okay Google." These alternate utterances may engender distinct auditory phenomena when summoning Google Assistant.

It bears reminding that the landscape of software and configurations can fluctuate markedly across disparate phone models and iterations of the Android operating system. As such, the precise steps or configurational possibilities may exhibit variance. Endeavor to experiment with these suggestions judiciously, and assess whether any prove efficacious in restoring the chime to your predilection, thereby obviating the recourse to less preferable alternatives alluded to in your original discourse.
My dearest comrade,

I bid you my humblest gratitudes for such fine recommendations, and for such an eloquently bespoken response to my inquisitive premise.

I shall take your suggestions in no less than the highest regards and thus act promptly and accordingly.

I wish you the greatest of days
-SK

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones