• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Returning my phone while Unlocked and S-off

I don't think so, on december i sent my phone for replacement and it was s-off and rooted.

I know to get the RUU and make it go back to 100% stock. Haven't done getting bootloader back to "Locked" nor turning back "S-On"

Are there procedures to do that and are they relatively easy?

I know to get the RUU and make it go back to 100% stock. Haven't done getting bootloader back to "Locked" nor turning back "S-On"

Are there procedures to do that and are they relatively easy?
I have a guide here for that.

You can use the zip file that scotty85 and brian706 created and tested to set the bootloader status to "locked" and after flashing the RUU and setting S-ON the phone will be 100% stock.

ramjet73

To be honest i would do that procedure only if i was going to sell my phone, not to turn it in to VM.

I have a guide here for that.

You can use the zip file that scotty85 and brian706 created and tested to set the bootloader status to "locked" and after flashing the RUU and setting S-ON the phone will be 100% stock.

ramjet73

Thanks ramjet! I will do these procedures to be 100% safe, you never know when Virgin decides to change their policies regarding inspection of returned phones. :rolleyes:

It's simple enough, should take me about 20 minutes max. Gonna do it now.

Yes.

ramjet73

Okay I'm back to 100% stock, Locked and S-on again.

Rebooted phone after doing the fastboot oem writesecureflag 3. Heard a loud beep and phone turned off. I thought I was toast. lol but then it rebooted up and now it's running stock VM with Locked and S-on status in bootloader.:p
Just waiting for my replacement to get here, I hope the replacement will come in better physical condition and internal hardware than this one. "fingers crossed"

Thanks ramjet!!

If by "watermark" you mean the "relocked" status, then no. It's very visible on the top line of the bootloader screen when you have a stock hboot installed.

ramjet73

I never saw "relocked" on my bootloader. It either says "unlocked" or "locked".

Mine now says "locked" because I ran the lock_bootloader.zip you provided.

My phone is now basically stock, no sign of it being modified. It's locked, S-on and running the VM RUU (aka the VM stock rom) If there's any watermark, I doubt a tech would catch it unless they really really look deep into the phone to find it. :rolleyes:

My phone is now basically stock, no sign of it being modified. It's locked, S-on and running the VM RUU (aka the VM stock rom) If there's any watermark, I doubt a tech would catch it unless they really really look deep into the phone to find it. :rolleyes:
I agree.

There may be something in the hardware that records how many times the EMMC has been flashed, but that would definitely require a tech with some hardware knowledge and software tools to read that.

ramjet73

I flashed he query zip and got no status message.
Your output from "flashing" that zip should look like the attached screenshot.

What recovery are you using?

ramjet73

Attachments

• screenshot_2013-02-24.09.20.29.jpg
    screenshot_2013-02-24.09.20.29.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 66
ramjet, I have the TWRP 1.1.1 recovery. The message did not look anything like your screen shot, and something like your screen shot is what I was expecting to see. Fortunately, I am not trying to return my phone at this time, but I wanted to know what the status of my hboot is considering the strange "Jumpnaut" message that appears at the top.

All of the jbear hboots are unlocked. So I don't know if you are even able to lock those. You will need to Dow load a stock hboot PG86IMG.zip file 1.57 is the one you want for HTC Evo V 4G that is the only one VM released I believe.

Are you on the stock bootloader? That is required. If you are on a custom bootloader it won't work.
I've seen that mentioned as well, but the screenshot I posted was captured with the JBear 1.50.5050 hboot installed. I think the JBear hboots are closer to stock than some of the other custom bootloaders.

ramjet73

All of the jbear hboots are unlocked. So I don't know if you are even able to lock those. You will need to Dow load a stock hboot PG86IMG.zip file 1.57 is the one you want for HTC Evo V 4G that is the only one VM released I believe.
If you read though this post, which is the basis for the lock/unlock zip files, you will see that the bootloader status isn't stored in the hboot itself. The custom hboots like JBear don't actually change that status, they just allow fastboot commands that would be blocked by the stock hboots when that status is "locked".

ramjet73

I tried the query with J-Bear 1.57 installed. I might try jbear 1.5 and see what happened. I am starting to think that some of the strangeness I experienced with hboot 1.04 EN is related to a few of those status bytes being wrong. Not wrong enough to do major damage, but enough to cause a minor hickup or three.

Hopefully, this is not too OT, but could some of you guys check my photo blog in the signature and let me know how it works on your phone?

After switching to 4ext recovery the query zip did work and showed the bootloader was unlocked. I locked it with fastboot because I suspect some stuff expects to see it locked if the phone is s-off.

I have found consistently that hboot 1.04 en causes boot loops when doing hot reboots. JB 1.50.50 works, but the fastboot getvar command executes partially and gives an error message. I have no idea why. With 1.57.57 I can't find any exceptions and I will stick with it unless I decide to try a JB rom.

Back
Top Bottom