• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Ridiculously low battery life

noname27

Lurker
Hey guys I've had completely terrible battery life forever on my phone and im done with it.

I can only get 1h 30 mins of screen on time MAX.
it usually gets to 30% by 3:00 in the day (I unplug it at 730)
so only six hours of decent battery

I have wifi usually enabled and brightness at low ALL the time
I am running STOCK 4.3.
I have Gsam battery installed and my top battery draining things is the Kernel OS and android system

Is this a problem with the OS? my battery?

thanks!

Hello noname and welcome!!
Did you just get the update to 4.3 and installed it?
If so, is that when your battery life started to suffer?
No I installed 4.3 when it first was avaliable on the AT&T network.

I'm honestly thinking of just flashing cyanogenmod 11 nightlys. Touchwiz isn't cutting it for me. Do you know if battery life improves with cyanogenmod?

My battery life has been really bad for as long as i can remember LOL
it was better with 4.2 but with 4.3.... wow its really bad

I have looked at other threads and have deleted useless apps.. I have wakelock detector installed too dont seem to have any at all.

Aosp roms like cyanogen generally have slightly worse battery life than touchwiz mate.
Youre gona have to wipe the device to flash a custom rom anyway so why not try a factory reset?
Something definately isnt right there. I get about 4hrs screen on aosp :thumbup:
P.s, i hate touchwiz so im not tryin to talk you out of tryin a custom rom lol :)

Hello noname and welcome!!
Did you just get the update to 4.3 and installed it?
If so, is that when your battery life started to suffer?

Aosp roms like cyanogen generally have slightly worse battery life than touchwiz mate.
Youre gona have to wipe the device to flash a custom rom anyway so why not try a factory reset?
Something definately isnt right there. I get about 4hrs screen on aosp :thumbup:
P.s, i hate touchwiz so im not tryin to talk you out of tryin a custom rom lol :)
lol yea definitely something wrong
I thought 1h30m was the norm on the s3 LOL

While I have you here I have a problem. I attempted to root my phone and I tried it twice and both times it doesnt root for some reason..

I guess i'll just factory reset and do this all over again lol

what happened when you tried? Make sure youre on the latest odin to root 4.3
I was on odin3 v 1.85 .... maybe that was the problem wow
I almost bricked my phone too LOL accidently thought it was done and unplugged it

Nothing happened when I tried it. Flash counter went up by one and then again the second time i did it but it wasnt rooted. I downloaded a root checker to see if I was actually rooted, nope.

Is there a tutorial here for rooting? I know its fairly simple but just want to see if I'm forgetting something...:rolleyes:

Its been a long time since i rooted the s3 mate but check out the s3 at&t all things root sub-forum on this page.
Good luck :beer:

i just recently rooted att s3 so any questions i can prolly answer for ya. btw i found out in rooting s3 and just rooting s2 that sometimes you gotta download super su app from play store and let it update it then you will have root on phone.

btw since your updated to 4.3 your prolly gonna have knox installed which if your unaware of knox its a trip counter that lets samsung know that you rooted phone which in return nulls your warranty.

i just recently rooted att s3 so any questions i can prolly answer for ya. btw i found out in rooting s3 and just rooting s2 that sometimes you gotta download super su app from play store and let it update it then you will have root on phone.

btw since your updated to 4.3 your prolly gonna have knox installed which if your unaware of knox its a trip counter that lets samsung know that you rooted phone which in return nulls your warranty.
I did try to install the superuser app from the play store. The app opens with a blank apps list.

I installed a root checker from the play store too and when it attempts to look for a root it cant lol

I'm scared to re-root it... last time almost caused me a brick xD

What is a good way to backup apps/etc without titanium

Install Better Battery Stats. You can side load it for free from the developer over at XDA if you don't want to pay for it from the play store but it's a great app and I recommend supporting the developer. Let it run all day tomorrow and before your battery croaks look in the Kernal Wake locks section. See what the biggest drain was.

I just recently had a very similar issue appear out of no where and it turned out to be a WLAN_RX wake lock. Apparently my wifi network was on the same channel as another close by wifi network. I guess my phone was freaking out because of wifi signal quality and it was causing the phone to stay awake more than it was sleeping. Changing the channel of my wifi network fixed the problem for me.

Another option is to try going through out the day without using Wifi if possible and see if battery life is better. Wifi is only better for your battery if you have a good clean wifi signal.

Back
Top Bottom