• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM Manager Won't Restore/Fixing CM7 Upgrade Mess

Phone: Rooted MyTouch Slide 3G

Problem: Today I used ROM Manager to upgrade from CM 6.1 to CM 7.0.3 (stable)... when phone rebooted it got stuck on the CM7 splash screen.

1: was unable to boot into recovery.
2. copied the ESPRIMG.zip and finally booted into Tmobile's lousy ROM.
3. Downloaded ROM Manager from market.
4. went to Backup/Restore. Clicked Restore, selected my current backup, and NOTHING HAPPENED.
5. Just downloaded CM6. ROM Manager asked if I wanted to reboot into that... despite bad experience with CM7, I said yes... and NOTHING HAPPENED.

Seems like ROM Manager can't/won't reboot my phone. This has been 2 hours of troubleshooting after one impulsive click. Any help much appreciated!

Ideally, I just want to restore! I also have a recent TiBu backup as well.

Any help much, much appreciated!

So you can reboot in to recovery? I only use rommanager for flashing recovery and downloading the ROM I do. Everything else myself in recovery.

Thank you for writing back!

I get a little murky on all the terms sometimes, but if Recovery is the screen you get when you hold down the Volume & Power keys with the white background and generic looking text and the list that starts with HBOOT, yes I can get in to that. What do I need to do once I'm there?

What I want to do is restore the backup I made with ROM Manager, but ROM Manager won't start the restore process b/c it won't reboot my phone.

Is there some other program I need to download or setting I need to check so that ROM Manager will do this? I downloaded SuperUser, but couldn't find any settings to adjust.

Maybe this is a useful piece of info: In ROM Manager when I click "Fix Permissions" I get an error that says "An error occurred while attempted to run privileged commands" I rooted ages ago - don't know why any commands would be off limits to me now.

test to ensure you still have root. Go to the terminal emulator and type Su, you should get a root prompt. If our flashed something through Hboot you may not.

It should look like this after typing su

screenshot-1313178028063.png

Recovery should be an option under Hboot.

Yep - that's what it looks like. I type in su and hit enter and get a hash mark prompt.
And yes, recovery is after HBoot. I just don't know how to use it to restore my backup.

Here's the thing, I rooted ages ago and don't remember the details much. A few months ago I tried flashing a new ROM, but it was a pain, so I've really just been running CM6 this whole time. I tried upgrading to CM 7 once before and don't remember why I went back to 6.

I've got my backup file that I made with ROM manage, and all I want to do is restore it, but since ROM Manager won't reboot my phone, I don't know how else I can restore this backup.

Am finding it impossible to focus on any other work until I figure this out, so your attention and help is very, very much appreciated!

Thank you again.

I Figured it out!!! I tried to go into recovery, but still needed to download the update.zip file which was no longer on my SD card. Finally got into Clockwork Recovery and restored my backup!!!!

I had no idea until researching this problem that Nandroid backup and backups created by ROM Manager were the same thing!

You pushing me on "can you get into recovery" really did help lead to my solving the problem, so thank you, thank you!

ROMmanager is a good tool but when it messes up it can be bad. Enjoy CM7, I am trying to convince my GF to let me install it for her on her slide.

CM7 - no way dude - I'm happily back at 6 and am NOT UPGRADING. This time was a disaster, and I know I upgraded previously and went back to 6 but don't remember why.

I'm on a MyTouch Slide which doesn't have a lot of RAM and is a pretty basic Android phone so maybe that's part of it. I'm sticking with my current set up until I get a new phone.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom