• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root? Developer Options

Do you guys have the ability to use fastboot commands?
No. At least I haven't been able to figure out how to get the phone in fastboot mode. I've had several hTC phones that easily boot into fastboot mode, so I am familiar with what fastboot is... Doing "adb reboot fastboot" just reboots the phone normally.

Some developments. If anyone's been on the front page of XDA today, you might've seen this. It theoretically works with any device, so I tried it. It works, kind of. Root checker says my device is now rooted, but I can't download any of the binaries for any of the superuser apps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-15-15-57-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-15-15-57-35.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_2014-06-15-16-05-36.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-15-16-05-36.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 70
My phone says it's rooted when I boot into download mode, but I can't install anything either. Problem is we need to get the binary in place in order to grant su level access to anything.

Some developments. If anyone's been on the front page of XDA today, you might've seen this. It theoretically works with any device, so I tried it. It works, kind of. Root checker says my device is now rooted, but I can't download any of the binaries for any of the superuser apps.

appears to be working for me im not sure gettting prompts with superuser su

ugu6ytes.jpg

I have root now! I ran it a second time and a while after completing boot it worked! Will test out a bit more and make sure everything works properly!

Seems to be working ok so far, only problem is we can't update the su binary without a custom recovery unless there's a way to flash from stock recovery. I can't access the su app but I can grant su permissions.

Seems to be working ok so far, only problem is we can't update the su binary without a custom recovery unless there's a way to flash from stock recovery. I can't access the su app but I can grant su permissions.

I can grant permissions too. With SuperSu, even though it tells me I can't update the binaries, I can grant permissions to Greenify and ABP just fine. Some of the comments in the original Towelroot thread seem to say that we didn't even have to install a superuser app.

I think, for all intents and purposes, we have functional root.

Towel root worked for me too. I have no superuser app installed (both of them from the store failed to update) but I was able to uninstall system apps.

Update: I installed the SuperSU from the XDA thread. I just found the apk inside the zip and installed it. Works perfect. :)

Towel root worked for me too. I have no superuser app installed (both of them from the store failed to update) but I was able to uninstall system apps.

Update: I installed the SuperSU from the XDA thread. I just found the apk inside the zip and installed it. Works perfect. :)

I tried that too, but it gave me an issue with my 4g sim card. Another guy on XDA had a similar issue. I wonder if it's a Virgin Mobile thing.

I can whip up a quick cwm one with the recovery maker if this phone has no problems taking it. I'm not so sure it's just that easy though.

After gaining root and freezing a bunch of bloatware I tried switching back to the art run time and I'm not getting a bunch of force closes and what not anymore. But performance seems just about the same.

I was running art runtime and I couldn't get past 5k on quadrant, close to 10k now that I switched back to dalvik, didn't really notice a difference in performance either tho, they both handled well, I didn't get any force closes on art or anything tho

I switched back from art to dalvik too. I did a test with antutu and I lost at least a couple thousand points. Went from around 17k to 15k. Art may look good on paper but I'm sure we won't see the real performance boost from it till the next android upgrade.

Well i used towelroot and was able to have root access with root explorer then installed superuser and lost root access.
Uninstalled superuser and still no root access; ran towelroot again but still no root access.

I have super user working just fine, just can't update binaries, which is a known issue by geohot, but I get permission prompts just fine
Edit: I'm on virgin mobile btw

This XDA thread. Those of you having problems with su just download the SuperSU update provided on this page and extract it and find the apk and run it.

Back
Top Bottom