• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted but want Official Gingerbread update

no, you can't just apply the update ( well you might be able to, but chances are it will fail, and possibly screw something up)

You really have two options, unroot (which will completely wipe your phone) and install the official update, or download and install the rooted update (which will probably run best if you do a factory reset first, but since you are rooted, you can use titanium backup to save all your apps/data).

Upvote 0
Well, I found instructions for turning S-off back to S-on.

I am debating about flashing a stock rom.

I really do want to be able to accept the official update.

My sons both have Incs that are stock. I suppose I can just wait to see how the update goes for their phones before I decide to do it on my own phone.

If I was confident that a rooted ROM would be available quickly I might just wait for that.

Upvote 0
a rooted rom will exist momentarily after the official update becomes available, if not days before. you will most likely have access to a rooted version before an official OTA is attempted to be pushed to your phone.

The rooted version will be exactly the same as the OTA, except for root access. You will most likely see a link for a rooted version at xda forums first.

if you would like to return to stock, there is a link to instructions in the stickied thread at the top of this forum.
*DO NOT flash the s-on file*

in my opinion, there is no reason to return to stock, you are just creating more work for yourself.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
i hope you didn't return to s-on, or you may NOT be able to root again.

Yes I did :-(.. I thought that blocked the OTA? Well when I get the OTA I can just rerun the UnRevoked Forever can't I? Or do I now have to flash back to CM7 to run UnRevoked Forever again? Sorry sdrawkcab25.. I jumped the gun, I should have waited for your post. I suppose if anything, I can rerun all the CM7 stuff, then get a copy of the OTA ROM and flash it, and I will be back to rooted\S-Off\with the OTA release???

Upvote 0
No you cannot run unrevoked again. The exploits it uses do not exist anymore in GB.

If you want to be rooted again run unrevoked again NOW,before the ota hits. All you need to do to accept an ota is reinstall the stock recovery(download from Doug piston),you don't need to unroot or install a whole "unroot ruu".

Just make sure you keep your s-off so you can reroot later when you find out that the "official" GB is nothing to write home about. You'll be able to run the same GB ota,and much nicer custom roms if you chose to remain rooted.

And just to repeat and try and drive this point home: GB is NOT rootable. If you get the ota and have an s-on bootloader,you're going to be stuck with it.

YOU MUST HAVE UNREVOKED'S FOREVER PATCH INSTALLED BEFORE GB HITS.

Upvote 0
No you cannot run unrevoked again. The exploits it uses do not exist anymore in GB.

If you want to be rooted again run unrevoked again NOW,before the ota hits. All you need to do to accept an ota is reinstall the stock recovery(download from Doug piston),you don't need to unroot or install a whole "unroot ruu".

Just make sure you keep your s-off so you can reroot later when you find out that the "official" GB is nothing to write home about. You'll be able to run the same GB ota,and much nicer custom roms if you chose to remain rooted.

Ok... so it doesn't matter that ClockworkMod is installed.. Or that is just a part of the stock install... Sorry.. just not familiar with all of it yet.. Getting there though.. :)

Upvote 0

And just to repeat and try and drive this point home: GB is NOT rootable. If you get the ota and have an s-on bootloader,you're going to be stuck with it.

YOU MUST HAVE UNREVOKED'S FOREVER PATCH INSTALLED BEFORE GB HITS.

OK please help.. I reran UnRevoked3 and now when I hold down the down volume and power I get 3 beeps and nothing. If I just press power, it powers up fine.

Upvote 0
Do not unroot to get the update. Like sdrawkcab said, wait a few hours, if that, and the EXACT same thing will be available in a ROM. There is absolutely no reason on heaven or earth to unroot folks. Most of us have been through this before. A few hours patience means stock Gingerbread PLUS root. Clearly a win win situation.

Moreover, waiting and flashing is far less likely to cause problems that unrooting, getting the ota and rerooting. Not to mention you will lose your data with not way to back it up (except what Google backups in the cloud).

Upvote 0
the unrevoked rooting method should of turned you back to s-off

I was following the instructions to restore stock ROM to my unrevoked phone. I used the "S-on" tool to turn it back on but I didn't go so far as to install the stock ROM.

Do I have to run the entire unrevoked process again to get the security turned off again?

Upvote 0
In the meantime I'm hoping my boys get the update quickly so I can see what it is like on a stock phone.

it will look the same. visually GB does not look much different than froyo. its considerably better at killing unneeded background processes,among other things,but if you put a phone running froyo and one runnig GB next to one another youd be hard presed to figure out wich was wich without lookint at the android version in settings/about phone.

if youre looking for a sexy new UI or newer sense version,its not gonna be the stock GB OTA.

youre much better running custom roms if you want your phone to have a new look and feel.

ive noticed this same exact phenomenon on the TB forums... people for some reason have an exceptionally high,overly estimsated expectation of what they think the GB OTA will be. i dont know if its just GB hype in general,or the fact that its been so long coming,but most of these folks are going to be exceptionally disapointed when it hits.

fear not,you will be able to flash the OTA in clockwork recovery before its pushed to phones. then you see how its not much different than the froyo you have,you can encourage your sons to root before its too late ;)

Upvote 0
it will look the same. visually GB does not look much different than froyo. its considerably better at killing unneeded background processes,among other things,but if you put a phone running froyo and one runnig GB next to one another youd be hard presed to figure out wich was wich without lookint at the android version in settings/about phone.

if youre looking for a sexy new UI or newer sense version,its not gonna be the stock GB OTA.

youre much better running custom roms if you want your phone to have a new look and feel.

ive noticed this same exact phenomenon on the TB forums... people for some reason have an exceptionally high,overly estimsated expectation of what they think the GB OTA will be. i dont know if its just GB hype in general,or the fact that its been so long coming,but most of these folks are going to be exceptionally disapointed when it hits.

fear not,you will be able to flash the OTA in clockwork recovery before its pushed to phones. then you see how its not much different than the froyo you have,you can encourage your sons to root before its too late ;)

I'm more interested in performance and battery life. I don't expect any dramatic differences in appearance. I'm kinda hoping for a sense update too but I'm pretty sure that isn't included.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones