• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted EVO 4G to EVO LTE Suggestions?? - Getting Some Old Stuff on my New Phone

I would highly suggest S-OFF as well, but you can make do without it.

If you want a brief intro of what you'll run into if youre rooted and S-ON, the introduction in this guide will explain it to you.

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/606748-how-install-kernels-s-h-boot-1-15-a.html

Dont get bogged down in the methods yet

EarlyMon was also referring to the above link (I think) here:

The bootloader is locked with encrypted signature security (s-on).

You can now unlock it with s-on still in place.

When you do that with later versions of hboot you can flash all roms in recovery, but you have to go back and fastboot flash the kernel. The root guide has a link to the thread that explains how.

It appears that installation of kernals with S-ON and my h-boot (1.19) requires Windows...at least, that's my assumption with the .exe file references I see at the kernal link above.

And forgive me but I'll ask these questions here since it appears I have alllll my old buddies commenting above :D:D:
What method if any can I use on a Mac to get S-OFF?? I don't have a Virtual Machine installed on my Mac like Parallels to run Windows. I was wondering if the link to installing Ubuntu on VirtualBox referenced by EarlyMon in the Root for the APPLE NATION link will work with rooting the EVO LTE as I believe that the VirtualBox link was in reference to rooting the original EVO 4G?? EarlyMon mentioned in link #20 above that Racun won't work with VM (and, therefore, Parallels...which I don't have anyway) so I'm checking my options with VirtualBox/Ubuntu
At the moment, even if Ubuntu and VirtualBox will work, that method seems to above my pay-grade/ability :(

Anyway, if someone can let me know the Mac S-OFF option, I'll be able to see what I can do...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! :D

Hi, sorry, been out dealing with a family issue.

In one of these threads I mentioned that I had to write a Mac equivalent for Rxpert83's guide for kernel flashing.

Doing it will be simple.

Overall, you'll grab a zip I'll link you too and a rom zip to your Mac. You'll do a couple of double clicks, a couple of drag and drops, a copy/paste of an instruction I'll post here, and presto changeo, you'll be flashing kernels. No big deal. ;)

Go through my instructions for how to root a Mac.

Do the s-on unlock from htcdev. Make your backups, it's going to do a factory data reset and I know you know about that.

Skip the root part.

Follow the instructions for installing TWRP using fastboot.

When you complete that point, you'll have setup everything you need software wise to do kernel and rom installs.

By then, I'll have the final instructions posted.

Scudder, like EM posted above you can root with S-on on your Mac, no problems. Follow his instructions and you'll be flashing roms and kernels in no time. :)

You'll need to find a windows machine, or boot one of your machines to Ubuntu via full dual boot install or install with a Live CD to get S-off. The devs for DirtyRacun haven't posted any solutions on a Mac platform. :(

S-off is the better you know why, but you can still flash everything you'll need with S-on, except for radios and firmware.

PS: welcome to the LTE side of things! ;)

Hi, sorry, been out dealing with a family issue.

Hey, don't apologize!!! Look at me, I haven't been back for days...no family issues, just mental issues!! :dancing2:

But I'm BACK now...and just did the phone number swap this evening to get my wife's EVO LTE (gave her a Motorola Photon as a gift with my upgrade...NOW look who has the gift of an EVO LTE!! :D)

Go through my instructions for how to root a Mac.

Do the s-on unlock from htcdev. Make your backups, it's going to do a factory data reset and I know you know about that.

Skip the root part.

Follow the instructions for installing TWRP using fastboot.

When you complete that point, you'll have setup everything you need software wise to do kernel and rom installs.

By then, I'll have the final instructions posted.
So, just to confirm:

1. Follow your [HOW-TO] Get full root on a Mac with the mini-SDK, HTC - Unlock Bootloader site, the fastbook-mac commands

2. You then say to skip the root part...that is skip this section, correct??:
Your bootloader is now unlocked, next comes root. Follow the steps here to get the SuperSU and Busybox installer link (hint - you want go to the Mirror download link listed last to get it the quickest) -

How to Root/Unroot HTC Evo 4G LTE! [Windows/Mac/Linux][One-Click] - xda-developers
3. Lastly, install TWPR via GooManager App as recommended

That's it?? Where will I be at this point??

Now with "skipping the root part," when do I go back to that?? And actually why do I skip that part?? Do I have to install/flash SU or is that what you were referring to previously in this thread with the "final instructions" you were going to post??

PLEASE KNOW EarlyMon: I am NOT RUSHING you!!...just letting you know I'm back around and ready when you are or soon will be...I THINK!!?!?

Off to bed for the evening so, again, NO RUSH...I won't be able to do any of the steps until tomorrow....THANKS TO ALL!!

As for your first rom choice - if you're not going with Viper4G, look for ones with an APM - advanced power menu. That ends the whole Vulcan nerve pinch to get into your bootloader or twrp - just hold the power button, get the menu, and choose what you want to boot into. :) :) :) (Two extra smileys show that's how much I like that!)

Was going to go with Viper4G on your recommendation...haven't steered me wrong yet!! ;) I saw 3 LTE files:

I presume I flash the viperROM eLiTE. If so, do I need the APM for that or is it built in as you mentioned previously??

And the ROM is to be flashed through recover...what about the Battery Mods or the APM?? Is that through recover too or through sdk-tools and fastboot??

Lastly, is there a different/suggested wipe process prior to flashing?? I'm asking this last question knowing that it is LIKELY answered in the [HOW-TO] so PLEASE just refer me over that if that is the case!

THANKS!!

Was going to go with Viper4G on your recommendation...haven't steered me wrong yet!! ;) I saw 3 LTE files:

I presume I flash the viperROM eLiTE. If so, do I need the APM for that or is it built in as you mentioned previously??

And the ROM is to be flashed through recover...what about the Battery Mods or the APM?? Is that through recover too or through sdk-tools and fastboot??

Lastly, is there a different/suggested wipe process prior to flashing?? I'm asking this last question knowing that it is LIKELY answered in the [HOW-TO] so PLEASE just refer me over that if that is the case!

THANKS!!

Viper4G is pure stock - so everything that works or doesn't in stock is the same with Viper.

It's also a mega-rom. It takes care of installing all of the essentials that you need, no need for battery stuff and the APM is baked in.

(I get 8 hours of screen on time, streaming media via wifi with Viper - so, really, battery mods not needed.)

Note, I am biased, I'm on their beta test team.

Once you're comfy with Viper, we'll look at enhancements for you, available as sort of sneak-peaks that you can flash separately now - but will be included in the next release.

With Viper - do not wipe first from TWRP.

It uses a built-in superwipe from inside its installer, use that.

If you do wipe from TWRP, you still have to wipe from inside the installer. It will take longer. It will look like it hung up and died at maybe around 4%. It didn't. It's fine. Get a cup of coffee, it will come back, it's not stuck, it is doing things. ;)

How to wipe for other roms - follow each rom dev's instructions. Some are like Viper, others are like what you'd expect requiring a TWRP wipe.

With Viper - do not wipe first from TWRP.

It uses a built-in superwipe from inside its installer, use that.

If you do wipe from TWRP, you still have to wipe from inside the installer. It will take longer. It will look like it hung up and died at maybe around 4%. It didn't. It's fine. Get a cup of coffee, it will come back, it's not stuck, it is doing things. ;)

How to wipe for other roms - follow each rom dev's instructions. Some are like Viper, others are like what you'd expect requiring a TWRP wipe.

I just tried to Flash Viper...INTERESTINGLY, before I saw the above, I did NOT wipe the phone. I don't know why??...used to wiping with MikG on my old EVO but, for some reason, since I've done NOTHING yet with the phone, just didn't wipe!

Anyway, booted up, saw the Viper splash screen but the phone wouldn't load!! Was in what seemed like a loop with just the home page wallpaper and message that came up with google.acore.process something something stopped and then rebooted.

I did create a nand from right after I rooted the phone so I'm currently doing a restore (fingers crossed)...but any thoughts on my Viper flash issue...?? I simply booted into TWRP Recovery, chose the Viper ROM, flashed...didn't change any settings or checks or anything...??

BTW...fingers uncrossed...phone just came back from my right-after-root nand.

Thoughts??

I checked the servers, they are having issues.

Use EStrongs, long press the viper zip file name, properties, calculate md5 sum and compare to the site you downloaded from.

If not the same, you got a bad download.

If the same, you may have had a failure on the superwipe - it happens. Just re-install with a full wipe again.

If the problem persists, go into TWRP, advanced, fix permissions, then re-wipe cache and Dalvik for good measure.

Are you using viper 2.02? Viper 2.00 did have installer issues with apps hitting the process.acore halt.

I checked the servers, they are having issues.

Use EStrongs, long press the viper zip file name, properties, calculate md5 sum and compare to the site you downloaded from.

If not the same, you got a bad download.

If the same, you may have had a failure on the superwipe - it happens. Just re-install with a full wipe again.

If the problem persists, go into TWRP, advanced, fix permissions, then re-wipe cache and Dalvik for good measure.

Are you using viper 2.02? Viper 2.00 did have installer issues with apps hitting the process.acore halt.

Got all your suggestion above (that I'm copy/pasting to a file on my computer to refer to later, thanks!!)

Buuuuuut, what I attempted to flash in the link above (before I was rooted) was Viper v1.2!! (see post #63 too) Maybe THAT is my problem??

Where is 2.XX?? I didn't see it...and I looked this time:D:D!!

---------
Edit: Couldn't find ROM because of bad spelling...

Is this where I want to be??:

[ROM] 10/3 Team Venom presents: Viper4G 2.0.2

Yep that's it. The earlier link went to the right place for me.

But yeah - 2.02 is where you want to be.

Take your time, read the intro posts there for anything I've missed.

Back
Top Bottom