• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting and the 2.1 update?

I'm new to the phone and not particularly computer savvy. I've been doing my homework and research about rooting and I was wondering... a friend mentioned that when Verizon releases an upgrade to Android OS 2.1 (Flan), Android will likely remove the exploit that allows for rooting. If that is the case, you will not be able to root in the future. But if I rooted now I would always be able to. He also mentioned if I rooted I would lose the ability to upgrade to 2.1 over the air and would have to download the upgrade via a computer and USB. Is this true?

The original exploit is closed in ESE53, but since we had the sbf file we just added it in manually before flashing. I have answered this question a zillion times but since your new and don't know I will answer it again. The root exploit used was a typo in the key signature verification check, allowing us to add in the needed su binary files piggybacked on to the 2.0.1 update.zip. That exploit was fixed THE NEXT DAY in the Android source tree. I am sure someone will find a new way to root it, but honestly you don't need to. All you need to do is grab the 2.0.1 sbf file and flash it using RSD Lite, then your back to 2.0.1 which can be easily rooted. This will work FOREVER no matter what update they send us OTA.

Oh and 2.1 isn't Flan, it's still Eclair. And Flan isn't even the name of the next big build, it's FroYo (Frozen Yogurt lol).

Upvote 0
The original exploit is closed in ESE53, but since we had the sbf file we just added it in manually before flashing. I have answered this question a zillion times but since your new and don't know I will answer it again. The root exploit used was a typo in the key signature verification check, allowing us to add in the needed su binary files piggybacked on to the 2.0.1 update.zip. That exploit was fixed THE NEXT DAY in the Android source tree. I am sure someone will find a new way to root it, but honestly you don't need to. All you need to do is grab the 2.0.1 sbf file and flash it using RSD Lite, then your back to 2.0.1 which can be easily rooted. This will work FOREVER no matter what update they send us OTA.

Oh and 2.1 isn't Flan, it's still Eclair. And Flan isn't even the name of the next big build, it's FroYo (Frozen Yogurt lol).

Good post and its the first time I have heard that. I have heard some dev's on other sites say 2.1 would not be hacked for root because no one wants to upgrade to 2.1 and lose root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones