• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting for Dummies FAQ?

THANKS!

I actually got it in the mail today. It was scheduled to arrive yesterday. I ordered it on July 26th, so that's not too bad at all. I have had things take 6 weeks to arrive, before. Anyway...now my baby is charging and I'm going to take a stab at this later today. Will update.

Upvote 0
OK, the .rar was PDAnet for an android phone. It would not install because it couldn't find a phone. I went back to the device manager window and right-clicked "uninstall device" and scanned for new hardware. This time an ADB thing popped up so now I'm on to Step 4.

The button says "List ADB Devices." I'm clicking it and nothing is happening.

Upvote 0
The instructions say to look for "Samsung device drivers" but for some reason mine were listed as "Android device drivers." Maybe this seems like a small thing, but I was stumped, and unsure whether this actually worked. I still don't know for sure... Nothing happened in Step 8 when I clicked on "Reboot Device." I just hit the power button. now I'm backing up some data.

OK, now I'm rooting. Oops, I forgot to unlock first.

Upvote 0
The instructions say to look for "Samsung device drivers" but for some reason mine were listed as "Android device drivers." Maybe this seems like a small thing, but I was stumped, and unsure whether this actually worked. I still don't know for sure... Nothing happened in Step 8 when I clicked on "Reboot Device." I just hit the power button. now I'm backing up some data.

OK, now I'm rooting. Oops, I forgot to unlock first.

Oops, forgot about that. Yeah, ignore the samsung drivers thing. If root fails is OK. The app isn't doing anyting but running batch files running adb commands. You'll be OK.

Reactions: CrackBaby
Upvote 0
Nope, because I don't know what that is... What does it do?

You don't have to install it. If you ever want to try a rom or back up your whole system you would need to do it with CWM or TWRP recovery. They have an option for installing a zip, which is the format of most roms.

If you just want to be rooted you don't need it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones