• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting for Dummies FAQ?

You don't have to install it. If you ever want to try a rom or back up your whole system you would need to do it with CWM or TWRP recovery. They have an option for installing a zip, which is the format of most roms.

If you just want to be rooted you don't need it.

OK, thanks! This is good to know. No doubt I will get to a point where I'm ready for more control and will try to learn more about CWM and recovery. Thank you so much.

Upvote 0
Bought Wug a coffee... restoring backup to the Nexus 7 ...got halfway through the backup and it said "unfortunately Drive stopped" so now I'm not sure whether to start that whole thing over again or just forget it? It appears that half of the apps have been restored.

I never used the backup and restore option. I'm not sure if it would just start over and overwrite the apps its restored already or what.

Upvote 0
Is there a rooting for dummies FAQ?
Is there a one or two-click way to do it?

As soon as my usbtogo cable arrives from HongKong, I wanna give this a shot.

Here is the easiest way I am aware of. The app will walk you through drivers and then it will do all the heavy lifting for you. It is what I used for my N7 and my GNex.

http://androidforums.com/nexus-7-all-things-root/581205-nexus-root-kit.html

--I gotta say...Its a Nexus. No need for any toolkit. Toolkits are for other devices. Thats whats so great about a Nexus. Theres a video that my son could follow on Youtube on how to install Android sdk by Qbking77. Put whatever rom u wanna flash (zip) on your sdcard and gapps and kernel ....etc... After sdk is installed plig up via usb cable and type fastboot oem unlock.. then type fastboot flash recovery ________ .img whatever recovery u choose to use after you download type it in the blank, exactly how it appears ...after it add .img on the end. (press enter) then use volume to go to recovery mode...select with power key and do a nandroid backup in recovery, then flash super user zip if u just want stock rooted.. or whatever rom u want ... Bingo! The easiest way and the only 100% safe way. Fastboot is quick and will not flash anything corrupt.Theres a video on youtube showing this method. Only difference is in the video (How to root vzn Galaxy Nexus by Qbking77) he pushes the su zip using adb instead of preloading it onto sdcard... This is the simplest device to work with known to man. They are all the same ..Gnex, Nexus7... This is the real deal way to root. Sdk can be used for tons of different things. ...A few wks ago I softbricked my N7. Would not move off Google screen.. I downloaded the Google factory images and flashed em all using fastboot. Worked like a charm. If I wouldnt have had sdk I would have been screwed. An excellent tool to have.-----

How to install SDK, fastboot and adb (on windows)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaNM-lt_aHw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

--Sent from my BlackBeaned N7--

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones