• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting newbie could use a little help

garybeck

Android Enthusiast
I rooted my Optimus V several months ago and so far so good. I followed the directions every step of the way but I have to say I had no idea what I was really doing and I still don't completely understand what I did or what "flashing a rom" really means. I did it only because of memory issues and I needed to keep my apps on the external memory card.

Shortly after I did it I found out there's an issue with calling VM for customer service after the phone is rooted. I had a problem with reception and called VM and they had me type in a strange code into the phone (dialer) and it didn't do what they expected. I got scared they would find out I rooted my phone, pretended the battery died, and said I would call back.

Then I read that you can't/shouldn't call VM customer service if your phone is rooted. But someone mentioned that there's a way to switch back and forth to a different setup, and I could temporarily go back to the orginal setup or something similar that would enable me to call VM and the special test codes would work. I could be wrong but I think this is the "flashing a ROM" concept, and I could flash a different ROM before I call VM, and then flash back to the one I have now (Backside IHO Cyanogen).

I'm a little nervous, what will happen to all my apps that are on the external memory if I switch to a different ROM that doesn't allow this? And will my data be OK? I know I have a titanium backup program I installed as part of the rooting process but I haven't used it.

Sorry I am not more knowledgeable about this. Can anyone explain how I can do this (or point me to the instructions). Thanks.

thanks very much
gary in vermont

Backup your ROM in the recovery. Go to the All Things Root Guide sticky. Go to my Tutorial on "How to install a flash_image; flash a recovery, ROM, and theme"
Read it several times.
Go to the flash_image and Recovery's section. Go to the last selection. When the page loads scroll down to the bottom of the first post. There will be an attachment. Download it and put it on the root of the sd card. Flash this recovery.zip from the recovery like you would a ROM, just don't wipe anything.
Go the "reboot recovery" option (its location varies with different recovery's). Once selected it should boot into the Xionia recovery.
No go to the ROM section and pick to download the Harmonia ROM. Put it on the root of the sd card. Wipe and format everything but your SD card. Flash the ROM. Reboot. Sign in to your google account. Reboot. Now your ready to deal with VM.
After you done reflash previous recovery, and restore backup.

Back
Top Bottom