• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help RUU ics fail

eriador

Over the past couple of weeks or so I have made numerous attempts to run the ics RUU onto my Desire S. The HTC support guys have made many suggestions but I get the feeling that they are prohibited from giving me any linux tips and insist on using HTC sync (which disconnects half-way through the proc.

I read somewhere that hboot and fastboot should be selected when plugging the data cable in and then running the RUU.

Could some kind soul list the steps for a phone which is not rooted?

Hi Eriador,

You should be able to run the ruu with the phone in fastboot mode: go into hboot, select fastboot from the hboot menu, then connect to pc. If it says "fastboot usb" on the screen you're good to go.

But you'll need Windows to run the ruu (at least I'd not be brave enough to try it under wine).

The HTC support guys have made many suggestions but I get the feeling that they are prohibited from giving me any linux tips and insist on using HTC sync (which disconnects half-way through the proc.

Don't actually run HTC Sync and definitely don't run it during the RUU procedure. It's only downloaded because it comes packaged with the drivers for your phone so it'll be recognized properly by your PC. You should be able to run an RUU on a fully booted phone in charge only mode or from hboot after having selected the fastboot option as already mentioned.

Weeeelll
I had 'fastboot usb' on the screen and started the RUU after plugging in the cable.
Shortly after starting a message flashed up to say that Android 1.0 driver had not been found (or loaded or whatever). Subsequently the program ran to the 'usb not connected' point but at least the phone is still OK !

Weeeelll
I had 'fastboot usb' on the screen and started the RUU after plugging in the cable.
Shortly after starting a message flashed up to say that Android 1.0 driver had not been found (or loaded or whatever). Subsequently the program ran to the 'usb not connected' point but at least the phone is still OK !

Now that you have HTC sync installed (and the subsequent driver), try plugging the phone into the PC under normal conditions...booted up, charge only mode. Leave it plugged in, then reboot your PC. With any luck, your phone will be recognized when Windows boots back up and it'll auto install the drivers.

If not, you'll need to manually install the drivers from device manager with the phone plugged in via usb. Should be able to point it to the packaged drivers that came with the HTC Sync program as the location. If it comes to that, try location C:\ Program Files\HTC\HTC BPM USB Driver

Thank you, thank you. I could not have solved this puzzle without you and Hadron. If you guys ever come over to Scotland and need anything let me know.

Now it's going to be interesting telling HTC support what happened !!

Back
Top Bottom