• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root S-OFF, root successful.. Then a factory reset. Need a fix!

j006

I did a factory reset because suddenly none of my pictures, MP3s,ring tones, or notification sounds would load from the SD card. The root worked fine for a couple days, so not sure what happened with the media files. Anyway, I decided to do a factory reset, but then the phone was in this weird half rooted state. It still had S-OFF, and some apps that required root would get superuser access, but others would not. The software version is 2.3.3, so it should be fine.

I also tried installing CWM again and flashing the superuser.zip, but hat in help. I also started to go thru the entire process of downgrading the ROM again, but it gave permission denied on the CHMOD 777 command.
Is there something that needs to be done to restore root fully?

youre s off,if you want to downgrade just run the ruu ;)

you dont need to stay on software version 2.3.3. now that youre s-off,you can run any version you like.

your options at this point are to flash a custom rom of your choice,or reflash superuser in recovery. i personally use this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

download from the link labled CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip

youre s off,if you want to downgrade just run the ruu ;)

you dont need to stay on software version 2.3.3. now that youre s-off,you can run any version you like.

your options at this point are to flash a custom rom of your choice,or reflash superuser in recovery. i personally use this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

download from the link labled [COLOR="Sienna"]CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip[/COLOR]
Reflashing superuser doesn't change the state of the phone unfortunately. I tried several times. I can flash, reboot the phone, and and apps are telling me they don't have root access, although they are indeed added to the superuser app request list. It's strange.

Also wifi doesn't work. At least it never connects. At this point I want to get back to original 2.3.4, downgrade, and re-root. Is this possible? I don't see any other way. Any chance that clearing/formatting in recovery everything except the sd card will clean the slate?

Again,you are s off. No need to unroot and re-downgrade. Your WiFi failure is likely due to a kernel/module mismatch. Your superuser prollems are likely that your either using an old.version,or not installing correctly.

If you do not want to flash a Rom,you can:
-run ruu
-install recovery in hboot
-flash superuser in recovery

Again,you are s off. No need to unroot and re-downgrade. Your WiFi failure is likely due to a kernel/module mismatch. Your superuser prollems are likely that your either using an old.version,or not installing correctly.

If you do not want to flash a Rom,you can:
-run ruu
-flash superuser in recovery
I actually do want to flash another ROM, but I really wanted to get the phone in a clean, just post-rooted state first so I could do a nandroid backup. As it stands the only backup I have is the one that has problems reading the gallery/music/notifications/etc files.

super user is 3.0.3, and latest is 3.1.1 - when I try to update it, I get
Gaining root access - okay!
remounting / system as rw - okay!
copying su to /system - okay!
Changing su file mode to 6755 - okay!
Making sure new su works - fail!

CWM is installed already and functioning fine. Not sure if you are suggesting something else.

You mean flash (from recovery) the original RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_si.zip that I used to start the root process to begin with?

FYI BusyBox says "the su binary was not found on your phone" and all root checkers I've used from the market say "not rooted"

Sorry for all the questions :(

You have not.correctly installed superuser,sounds like all you've done is.download it from the market.

Download the one I linked
Place on sdard
Flash that file in cwm(like it as a Rom )
You will be rooted.

An ruu is.flashed in hboot,not cwm.it will overwrite your current cwm,so you'll need to reinstall cwm after.

Sorry for the short answers,I'm at work atm. I can give more detail later

You have not.correctly installed superuser,sounds like all you've done is.download it from the market.

Download the one I linked
Place on sdard
Flash that file in cwm(like it as a Rom )
You will be rooted.
Did this; Root Checker(app) just runs forever but never verifies root; also, when I first started your suggested SU, it needed to update the binaries, which I tried but it failed. Does it make a difference that I had previously installed this SU? Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed

An ruu is.flashed in hboot,not cwm.it will overwrite your current cwm,so you'll need to reinstall cwm after.
Maybe I should try flashing the RUU from the original guide I used here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1751796

Sorry for the short answers,I'm at work atm. I can give more detail later
No worries man. I really appreciate the help with this.

ok found a major problem. When I do a cmd>fastboot getvar mainver, it's returning 6.01.605.05. That's incorrect, obviously. It needs to be 2.18.605.3. Something is out of whack.

I tried redoing the steps from the link to the guide I posted above, but it hangs on this command:
C:\Android\miniadb_inc2>adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tacoroot.sh
chmod: permission denied​
Any way to change these perms to allow me to keep going? I think I'm on the right track but correct me if I'm wrong :)

ok found a major problem. When I do a cmd>fastboot getvar mainver, it's returning 6.01.605.05. That's incorrect, obviously. It needs to be 2.18.605.3. Something is out of whack.

I tried redoing the steps from the link to the guide I posted above, but it hangs on this command:
C:\Android\miniadb_inc2>adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tacoroot.sh
chmod: permission denied​
Any way to change these perms to allow me to keep going? I think I'm on the right track but correct me if I'm wrong :)

you are still not understanding- you are s-off allready. this means that your phone is not doing any security checks whatsoever. if you want to run the ruu from that link-go right ahead. you do not need to perform any of the other steps. just run the ruu. thats it. :) you can change individual partitions,and you can go forwards or backwards in firmware versions. i personally would bother with old ruu- id run the newest one i could find(this one found in a quick search)

if you wish to be able to make a backup of the latest stock,unrooted software,run the ruu i linked(5.10.605.9) then wait for the phone to OTA to current. once it otas back to 6.05.605.5,then you can install recovery as a PG32IMG in hboot.

now you can make a backup

after that, you can flash the superSU file,or you can simply flash a custom rom of your choice.

so to recap:
-run ruu
-wait for phone to OTA(no you will not lose s-off)
-make backup
-install superuser,or flash a custom rom

to install amon after youve run the ruu,and let the phone OTA:
-download this: PG32IMG-amon3.08.zip
-place it on the root of your sd card
-rename PG32IMG
-boot to hboot. it should find the file,ask you to update. tell it yes. when its finished,reboot.
-immediately after the phone boots,remove PG32IMG from the sd

now you can enter recovery thru hboot(boot to hboot,select recovery from the hboot menu)

last an not lease, note that the ruu i linked is a .exe file. what you should do to install it:
-cahrge to 100%
-put the phone in fastboot(select fastboot from hboot menu)
-run the ruu utility as administrator
- plug the phone in when directed :)

hopefully that makes it a lil clearer,ill be out for a few hours,but holler if you have further questions :) again sorry for the short replies earlier :o

I've never used my stock nandroid.

Agreed. But keeping it on your SD card is my advice as it is basically a get out of jail free card, in case something happens.

But as everyone has said already, you are s-off. Get a recovery installed (I use 4EXT) and find a ROM to flash. I am on UKB right now and will be flashing ViperINC once it is out of Beta (see here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1911672 ).

Kratos

Cheers for all the replies gentlemen. If you can believe it, I ended up un-rooting the phone, loading 2.1.1 Foyo on there and then 2.3.3 GB. Then I re-rooted. Had some hiccups along the way but finally got it. The phone is bootlooping now but I just need to flash an updated radio to fix that. I ran out of time yesterday. As SOON as I get it back up I'm doing a backup so this won't happen again. I probably did more work than I should have, but it was a good exercise anyway.

Since I'm on 2.3.3 but rooted, I shouldn't have any problem flashing the 2.3.4 GB ROM, right?

Thanks gentlemen!

Since I'm on 2.3.3 but rooted, I shouldn't have any problem flashing the 2.3.4 GB ROM, right?

correct,you will have no trouble. you would have had no trouble yesterday,as i told you a couple times.

im not sure what you did to unroot and reroot,but it sounds like you likely did waaaay more work than what you needed to ;)

at any rate,whatever you did im glad you are happy with the results. :)

OK all is good except..........now I can't add email accounts to the HTC mail app. Gmail, hotmail, outlook.com - none of them work. Each time it gives this error:

Warning

503 80376: This device is not snc capable.​

The above is not a typo; it actually says 'snc'

Any ideas on this one? I'm not finding anything at all on the web about it :confused:

so...I successfully upgraded to the new custom ROM, but I'm still getting this error when trying to add email accounts. Strangely enough, if I add my outlook.com account as an Activesync Exchange account, it works. Attempting to add a hotmail or any other email account gives the above error.

that is the second time ive seen a reference to that error... no idea what it means :confused:
Yeah weird as hell. The workaround was just to enter all my email accounts settings manually - I actually set all mine up as Activesync accounts for push. I didn't even realize that you could have multiple Activesync accounts on this phone, so all is well now with my freshly installed ROM.

Cheers for the help and patience all!

Cheers for all the replies gentlemen. If you can believe it, I ended up un-rooting the phone, loading 2.1.1 Foyo on there and then 2.3.3 GB. Then I re-rooted. Had some hiccups along the way but finally got it. The phone is bootlooping now but I just need to flash an updated radio to fix that. I ran out of time yesterday. As SOON as I get it back up I'm doing a backup so this won't happen again. I probably did more work than I should have, but it was a good exercise anyway.

Thanks gentlemen!

Hello i am having the same problem with my phone can you tell me how you uninstalled SU an went back Froyo an then to GB

what prollem are you having? the bootlooping?

are you s-off?
what android version are you on?
what radio?

you do not need to uninstall supersu,go back to froyo,then back to gingerbread. :)

Hi Scotty,

The USB port on my wives Inc2 (rooted rom with s-off) died and I really need to get it back to stock with s-on to send in for service. But every thread/link I can find is dead. Any ideas? :D

I can't remember. Sorry, its my wifes phone and its been months since I did it. How can I check? I know when I did it I had to run tons of ADB commands on my daughters Windows machine to do it. It was a PITA compared to devices I have had before.

this is an incredible 2,correct? i dont recall an ADB method of s off,just the xtc clip, and revolutionary.

lets start with the info in your hboot screen :)

Revolutionary. :p
VIVO_W XB SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT-6.13.1002
RADIO-1.09.01.0312
eMMC-boot
Apr 1 2011,18:34:39

So tell me if I am off base here. It's been a while since I played much with HTC devices, and if you don't want to help just say so. I have downloaded the latest 5.10.605.9 GB 2.3.7 OTA from here http://vivow.pcharpoon.com/roms.html copied it to the root of the SDcard and renamed it PG32IMG. Now I can just reboot and let bootloader do it's thing. That will get be back to stock all but S-off, correct? How do I S-ON?? All the links I have followed say "no longer relevant" but its relevant to me. :p

Back
Top Bottom