• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S4 UK PAYG 3G Skype video calling setup

wunay

Android Enthusiast
In UK.

I have a Galaxy S4 on PAYG with T-Mobile. I also have 3G mobile data available.
Skype V4.0.0.19550 is installed on the S4 and I am able to make very satisfactory video calls using either low or high quality video whilst on Wi-Fi.

With no Wi-Fi connection and using Mobile Data I am able to make a connection but the video aspect freezes after a couple of seconds using low or high quality video.

The adverts show people using 3G and video calling with no seeming problem. Is it me or is it overzealous advertising?

The only reason that this would not work that I know of is the speed of the connection.

Try the speedtest app and see what your 3G speed is like compared to wifi. My bet is that it's a simple bandwidth issue.

I have had 3Mbps using Mobile Data and the situation is as described, currently this evening that is only 1.15Mbps. If I use Wi-Fi then it is about 31Mbps. On those figures I could accept that Mobile Data is insufficient - but on the advertising they make no mention of the speed needed to use Mobile Data efficiently.

I would have thought that speed would have been absolutely fine. Skype doesn't use a huge amount of bandwidth so if you really are getting 3Mbps, I suspect my first guess was wrong - sorry.

[Edit]
In fact I have very poor reception where I am now and only have about 900kbps. I was able to do a Skype video call to my wife using 3G and, while it was a little choppy, it definitely worked reasonably well.

I have just checked the S4 and the download speed is 1.65Mbps. I tried using Skype to my laptop and the laptop displays the same message as my main PC that the connection is too slow. The icon on the S4 displays H+. Not 3G??

If my connection speed is NOT the issue, then can anyone suggest as to the reason for freezing of my sent video. I am on PAYG could that have anything to do with it?

Back
Top Bottom