• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung A7 tablet, I want data, please help

ohdearme

Product Name
Samsung A7 tablet
Hello All,

I have a Samsung A7 tablet and will be on holiday soon. Does this tablet have data facilities? I canfind nothing. Do I need andsd card? What to do please, kindly treat me like an idiot, I'm getting old.
Best
Alan

Hello All,

I have a Samsung A7 tablet and will be on holiday soon. Does this tablet have data facilities? I canfind nothing. Do I need andsd card? What to do please, kindly treat me like an idiot, I'm getting old.
Best
Alan
Most tablets will have built in wifi for internet. If you want mobile data like cellphones have, you will need to have a data plan from companies like Verizon or AT&T. Not all tablets have mobile data capabilities. All an SD card is just a storage place for files like photos and music as well as for app data. It is not needed for wifi.

It's much less about the tablet itself! It's much more about wehat apps you use, and if you use an app which lets you transfer data and all.
i think the op is confusing the term "data". data can refer to being able to connect to the internet since it takes a data plan in order for the tablet to do that....assuming the tablet has 5G or 4G capabilities. the fact that he mentioned the sd card, data can also be for apps as well as files, music, photos and videos.

i think the op is refering to connecting to the internet. but we have not heard from the op so....who knows.

Hello All,

Best
Alan
Where you going on holiday? Most hotels do have WiFi and internet access.

Firstly let me say in my "Tablet ignorance" how kind of all of you to help. Yes, internet, was the word I was looking for. Away for a few days, Warwickshire actually Mike and I wil be in a hotel but I want to be able to go on the internet when I am out and about and not near a hotspot. I took my A7 into "3" yesterday as my phone is on 3. They sold me a £10 Pay-as-you-go package and then refunded it as they said my A7 tablet is not wi fi enabled.

Now, these last two emails saying that I AM internet enabled. I am confused.

Perhaps I should try another company. What to Do?

Best to all of you

Alan

If you have access to the internet on your tablet, you have Wi-Fi connectivity. I assume that they were trying to sell you a data plan that would allow your tablet to have internet access when you were not within range of a Wi-Fi source. When they discovered that your tablet didn't have the ability to access the internet without using Wi-Fi they refunded your money.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how many Wi-Fi sources you will find while you are out and about. It is very common nowadays for businesses to provide Wi-Fi for their customers.

As others have said, your A7 tablet HAS WI-FI CAPABILITY. That means that if you have access to a WI-FI network, such as one that is being broadcast by your router at home, or at a store or hotel for example, including the applicable password, you can use it to CONNECT to THE INTERNET. HOWEVER, if you are just walking down the street or at the beach, or somewhere else where you cannot access someone's WI-FI network, you will NOT be able to connect to the internet because the A7 does not have the built-in capability (special circuitry) to access the internet by itself, like a smartphone can.

I am daft. Yes, of course my A7 is wi fi enabled, as you have repeatedly pointed out. Why on Earth, with my elderly brain, (probably not much good when I was younger) did I not see that before? Thank you all so much. It is these forums, where people give advice out of the goodness of their hearts, shows that some people are decent.

Best

Alan

Don't beat yourself up - I've come across many people who confuse the concepts of "WI-FI" and " THE INTERNET" and think that they are the same thing (including my next door neighbor, with whom I have this discussion at least weekly). I've been working with computers since 1962, before personal computers, the internet, wi-fi, tablets, smart phones, etc., which makes it easier for me to get by in the current landscape. You're never too old to learn, and this is a really good place to follow along.

Without confusing the issue, let me mention the concept of "mobile hotspot." With most smartphones and the right data plan for the smartphone, you can use the smartphone to provide a portable, temporary wi-fi network to which you can connect your A7. I'm not sure you're ready for that adventure, and it can prove to be rather expensive.

Best

Also Allan

Mine's with only one "L" Allan, I was brought up to be frugal ! Thanks for the advice, I might try it when we are away as I always found the phone to be too small to be comfy enough to look at. No one else seems to be bothered by that though. I'd like to meet your neighbour, bound to make me feel clever.

Best to you

Regards

Alan (One "L")

Don't beat yourself up - I've come across many people who confuse the concepts of "WI-FI" and " THE INTERNET" and think that they are the same thing (including my next door neighbor, with whom I have this discussion at least weekly). I've been working with computers since 1962, before personal computers, the internet, wi-fi, tablets, smart phones, etc., which makes it easier for me to get by in the current landscape. You're never too old to learn, and this is a really good place to follow along.

Without confusing the issue, let me mention the concept of "mobile hotspot." With most smartphones and the right data plan for the smartphone, you can use the smartphone to provide a portable, temporary wi-fi network to which you can connect your A7. I'm not sure you're ready for that adventure, and it can prove to be rather expensive.

Best

Also Allan

So if you have Unlimited everything they shouldn't be charging you for data and other stuff if you are using your phone as a ( Hotspot ) ?

So if you have Unlimited everything they shouldn't be charging you for data and other stuff if you are using your phone as a ( Hotspot ) ?
typically the wireless telcos provide data plans that treat everything as data: phone calls, text, and internet; the hotspot is sometimes metered even if you have Unlimited, I know that Verizon and T-Mobile have a quiet policy of throttling after one crosses the threshold of 22GB/month of data, usually this happens when you spend many hours streaming movies or other video content on the phone. So this entails choking the bandwidth speed to make it run slower and cause you to not use the phone as much till next month begins. No extra charge, just a kind of pushing you off to where you can't watch a movie without it buffering constantly.

Back
Top Bottom