• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung/Apple charger protocol?

Simon_Gardner

Android Expert
This has been bugging me since I got that first 2A car charger for my Note 3. As many do, it came with two USB sockets - one for Apple products and one for Samsung etc devices.

The book of words talks about Apple and Samsung protocols being different and hence the alternative USB ports. It suggested if you use the "wrong" port, charging will be slower.

Can anyone give me a technical rundown on what they are talking about with the protocols? (We aren't talking here about simultaneous use of both ports which is another matter.)

61FH3ZNa2cL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm not sure about apple, but Androids (the Samsung as well) generally use the standard USB protocol. That is 500mA froma usb port but can be higher by shorting out on of the contacts and pushing more juice.

iDevices may only allow for the base 500mA in which case it would charge more slowly if you plugged in the samsung. Even my OG Droid came with a 784mA charger. If I tried to charge it froma computer (500mA) it would charge more slowly. I've seen Android USB chargers all the way up to 2A (2000mA) for devices like my N7.

Back
Top Bottom