• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy copy data from SD card to internal memory

MikeHunt555

Aug 12, 2017
I'm now considering buying a Samsung A25.
If I use the 256Gb internal memory, can I copy the contents of my SD card to the internal memory?
Thing like a calendar data backup, folder with mp3s, photos.
I'm hoping the phone comes with a data cable? If so, can I upload from my PC into the phone?

What calendar app are you using? I use Google's and it backs it up automatically. And the same goes for samsung. You can also use Samsung's Smart Switch to transfer most of your data.

Reactions: svim and Dannydet
Upvote 0
You may find it helpful to have one of these multi-purpose adapters. Not only will it help you transfer your microSD card contents to internal storage, but it will also be invaluable for regularly backing up your phone's contents to your computer (all that data is one good drop away from being gone forever).

Upvote 0
I'm recommending you use the Samsung Smart Switch utility as a better option than manually backing up your phone data. Smart Switch will give you more comprehensive backups than if you're not familiar with the basic data storage setup of a typical Android device. It not only makes it easier to migrate the user account your old phone to the new one., plus you really, really need to have some kind of thorough backup solution in place. Do periodic backups, they're important. If there's data that only exists on your phone, current backups are vital. Use a microSD card as a supplemental backup media, but keep a primary backup that's on a computer/laptop or within an online storage service. If you lose your phone or it's stolen, all that data is in that phone.
One important aspect is you referred to a Galaxy A25 as a new replacement but what brand and make is your current phone? Note that Smart Switch is primarily for Samsung devices with only limited support for non-Samsung devices -- i.e. it 'might;' work out well for your old, current phone but is a utility you should use on that A25.
And this is just speculation but with a more current phone like A25, its Android OS has become a lot more developed in auto-migrating on older phone to a new one. You might not need to involve installing third-party utilities, you might be prompted to just connect the old phone to the new one via a USB cable or wirelessly, authenticate the process, and just wait for a transfer to complete.

Upvote 0
Thanks for a comprehensive reply.
My old phone is a Samsung J7 Pro, over six years old. It has completely died. Apart from the screen having come apart, it won't switch on at all. Not sure if it's the screen or something internal in the phone. So there's no way to access it at all, even via a data cable.
Having said that, for years I backed-up the SD card in the J7 weekly, via a data cable to my laptop. Hence my question about restoring the data. I assume the data is safe on my J7 SD card, but even if it isn't I still have it on my laptop.

Upvote 0
What calendar app are you using? I use Google's and it backs it up automatically. And the same goes for samsung. You can also use Samsung's Smart Switch to transfer most of your data.
Sorry, I missed you asking about the calendar app. It's a proprietary one, but I backed it up weekly, so I still have those.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones