• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (GT-NT8000) won't charge

Meridae

Lurker
Jul 5, 2015
Hi all - sorry that I'm asking a question that has probably been asked and answered many times (I have done some browsing through the support threads but nothing fits quite right), and that I'm really very technologically illiterate.

I have a 2 or so year old Samsung Tablet (model as above - not the new 2014 edition) that started having charging problems about six weeks ago - when not on charge, the battery drained rapidly, and when it was on charger pretty much kept draining but at a slow rate. If I left it turned off and on the charger overnight it would sometimes charge to 100% and sometimes wouldn't charge at all. Also possibly important - the area of the tablet where I assume the battery sits has been getting hot for the last six or more months.

Anyway, I took it back to the store I bought it from (it's out of warranty of course) and they said they'd have to send it back to Samsung at a cost of $250 NZ just for them to look at it, and then more to fix whatever the issue was. Not only did I not have that sort of cash, but I don't think it's worth spending that much on an old tablet!

So I took it to a third party technician and got him to put a new generic battery in . . . seemed to be okay when I got it back (he never mentioned any issues but I don't know if he did anything beyond just put the battery in) and that helped a bit - battery charged a bit better, drained a bit slow for a few days.

By this Friday, it was pretty much back to being useless - battery draining rapidly even when on charger, so in desperation and after looking through some forums, I did a factory reset. That seemed to do the trick! Charged well, held it's charge, and if I was using it while on charger it would still charge up instead of draining.

Well that lasted 24 hours - once it hit 10 percent, it shut itself down (even though the charger was plugged in) and I really haven't managed to get it back on for more than a few seconds since (have left it to charge for an hourr each time before I tried to turn it on). One time it turned on and insisted it had 100 percent charge - before shutting down. A few minutes ago it showed 1 percent, again before it shut down.

I'm wondering if in my attempts to restore everything after the factory reset, that I restored the problem as well - but it's hard to know which apps/data are problematic.

Edit to add - I'm using the original charger that came with it but may take it into a store somewhere to see if they can check it's doing what it should for me.

I'm currently going to leave it on charger for twenty four hours without touching it . . but if anyone else has ideas or useful posts they can point me to I'd be grateful (or even a 'it's dead Jim, give up' so I know to stop angsting). I know it's a bit weird but this is my favorite possession and I use it constantly - unfortunately I'm no longer in a position to buy a new one whenever I want!

Thanks

Mary
(Currently stuck using a very slow laptop that I fear will go the same way as the tablet).

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones