• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S - Froyo

I wonder if this is because everyone else is running the international version of the Galaxy S I9000. Whereas we have different model numbers and presumably need a tailored update for our devices. The I9000 update for Europe should be the same no matter where you are they are just releasing it in trickles to prevent server meltdown.
yeah, your most likely correct - it seems the US versions of the galaxy dont work on this tip to get froyo. :(

maybe someone knows a similar trick for the US phones?

Upvote 0
My update to 2.2 failed. It took over an hour to download the binary, and then the phone went into Downloading mode with the android with a shovel. Then Kies gave an error saying "Failed to convert to upgrade mode. Try again later".

I restarted my phone and it rebooted back to 2.1 without anything changed.

My phone is rooted before and has One Click Lag Fix done before. Phone's build number is XWJM2 and Baseband version I9000XXJM1. Kernel version 2.6.29 root@SE-S603 #2.

Do I have to use ODIN instead? I like the idea of using Kies as everything is not wiped out.

Upvote 0
My update to 2.2 failed. It took over an hour to download the binary, and then the phone went into Downloading mode with the android with a shovel. Then Kies gave an error saying "Failed to convert to upgrade mode. Try again later".

I restarted my phone and it rebooted back to 2.1 without anything changed.

My phone is rooted before and has One Click Lag Fix done before. Phone's build number is XWJM2 and Baseband version I9000XXJM1. Kernel version 2.6.29 root@SE-S603 #2.

Do I have to use ODIN instead? I like the idea of using Kies as everything is not wiped out.
You need to undo any lagfix you have applied.

Upvote 0
just done a successfull root of this firmware, no copying of files, no flashing kernals etc needed

Root JP6 Froyo : [APP]SuperOneClick v1.4 (Root, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code) - xda-developers

run app as administrator > click 'Root'

piece of p***

edit: it didnt seem to install BusyBox :( (according to titanium backup it didnt...)

Edit (again) : nevermind, i installed busybox off the market and it worked fine.

great work again installed without a hitch busybox as well just trying out the market app first to see if i need it doing as well. thanks again.:)

Upvote 0
Works like a breeze.
Froyo tastes sweet!!

Thanks Chris. Keep up with the good work.;)

sure,

download Samsung Kies version 1.5.1.10074_45 or something that is not the latest, you will need to un-install the latest then install this one.

i used this one, as the new one would crash.

1. open Samsung Kies and let you phone be detected as usual.

2. keep Kies open, minimize it and run regedit in windows.

3. locate HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Samsung\Kies\DeviceDB\

4. you should see some folders, named 1,2,3 etc in that folder, look for the one that mentions your current firmware, IMEI number etc etc.

5. once you know the correct folder (onnly one folder mentions this information), you need to modify 3 strings by simply clicking it and selecting modify.

6. Change these 3 strings to this: ( but id remember your old 3-strings information if i were you, i did just incase i need them in the future. (you never know - so i jotted em down in a notepad file :) )

Upvote 0
Hi Guys

Trying to do the Froyo update in Odin...but....
My phone (Galaxy S) is stuck in the middle of the update it has been one hour now since the downloading screen has not changed (Android bot with shovel, in yellow bckground).
I have no "Fail" messag in Odin, and the ID Com box is yellow and reads :-
0:[COM5],

Can I start over?

Have I missed anything?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James

Upvote 0
Hi Guys

Trying to do the Froyo update in Odin...but....
My phone (Galaxy S) is stuck in the middle of the update it has been one hour now since the downloading screen has not changed (Android bot with shovel, in yellow bckground).
I have no "Fail" messag in Odin, and the ID Com box is yellow and reads :-
0:[COM5],

Can I start over?

Have I missed anything?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James

I believe Odin will actually display numbers instead of the zero in "0:[COM5]". Sounds like nothing's actually happening on your phone. You need to download the correct drivers to make Odin work with your Galaxy S. I had the same issue.

Upvote 0
just done a successfull root of this firmware, no copying of files, no flashing kernals etc needed

Root JP6 Froyo : [APP]SuperOneClick v1.4 (Root, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code) - xda-developers

run app as administrator > click 'Root'

piece of p***

edit: it didnt seem to install BusyBox :( (according to titanium backup it didnt...)

Edit (again) : nevermind, i installed busybox off the market and it worked fine.

It worked for me too. Thanks chris.

Upvote 0
You need to undo any lagfix you have applied.

It was a bad phone day for me as unlagfix crashed halfway, so it made my phone un-bootable. Probably the conversion back to RFS was incomplete and messed up the file system.

So, had no choice - I ran Odin and reflashed back to good old Eclair 2.1 JG4. :p

Now all is running. I think I wait a few more days for official Froyo... :)

Thanks anyway.

:)

Upvote 0
I wonder if this is because everyone else is running the international version of the Galaxy S I9000. Whereas we have different model numbers and presumably need a tailored update for our devices. The I9000 update for Europe should be the same no matter where you are they are just releasing it in trickles to prevent server meltdown.

I'm not sure if that's why that is but I'm also running the Bell Galaxy S and it did detect it needed an update after I did that but it wasn't JP6 but instead JP3 and all that did was give me 2.1 build one and my gps that worked fine now doesn't work. Double checked everything and all the right strings were changed.

Upvote 0
It did not work.

it showing me upate to JM2 not JP6. i got mmine samsung from dubai.

Kindly help.
thx

zamir

sure,

download Samsung Kies version 1.5.1.10074_45 or something that is not the latest, you will need to un-install the latest then install this one.

4. you should see some folders, named 1,2,3 etc in that folder, look for the one that mentions your current firmware, IMEI number etc etc.

5. once you know the correct folder (onnly one folder mentions this information), you need to modify 3 strings by simply clicking it and selecting modify.

6. Change these 3 strings to this: ( but id remember your old 3-strings information if i were you, i did just incase i need them in the future. (you never know - so i jotted em down in a notepad file :) )

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0
sure,

“SoftwareRevision”=”I9000XXJF3/I9000SWC/I9000XXJF3/I9000XXJF3″
“ProductCode”=”GT-I9000HKDXEE”
“HIDSWVER”=”I9000XXJF3/I9000SWC/I9000XXJF3/I9000XXJF3″

so, while Kies is minimized and still open and connected to your phone, you have changed these 3 strings.

click Firmware update, and you should now see Kies saying there is one for JP6.

Good Luck :)

this is what i did and it worked without a hitch

Followed these instructions and it said it couldn't be upgraded. Could it be because it's a Bell branded phone (unlocked)? If I debrand it would that help? Maybe I should jusst wait for the official release.

This is what I did...
Samsung 2.JPG

This is what I get from Kies...
Samsung 1.JPG

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones