• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S5 - stand alone SD Card storage

But is that what the OP is asking?

I don't know, but I'm not clear what is meant by "only access them by specifically choosing SD Card under My Files folder, rather than via My Files - Documents, Audio, Images or Videos (device storage)", so am not certain what is being asked. (S)He may be asking about storing files other than apps on SD, or about something to do with the file manager ("My Files" is the Samsung file explorer). The question doesn't seem to be about moving apps though.

Upvote 0
Correct Hadron. On my old Galaxy S2 I kept various files (word docs and images etc) on the SD Card. I would choose to open the SD Card and these files would be listed and I could open and view them. Similarly, I could choose My Files / Documents and see a list of documents stored on my phone.

On the S5, they simply appear as a consolidated list when I open My Files / Documents or Images etc. I don't know whether they are on my phone or SD Card storage.

It's not a major issue, but I liked the old S2 way and knew where the documents were stored. I tendered to use the SD Card as a USB device.

If I can only view the seamless single consolidated list, I will get used to it.

Upvote 0
Hmm, you can certainly open the SD card and browse its file structure (on my tablet I can just click on the "SD card" icon on the sidebar), but I don't know see a way of making the consolidated "Documents" list show only files on a particular device. Another thing to try is just using a different file explorer - there are plenty in the Play Store (I currently have X-Plore, Solid Explorer and Root Explorer on various devices).

(Personally I never use a "Documents" folder anyway: my way of working is different folders for different projects, and put the files related to each project within that project's folder/tree, so an "all mixed together" "Documents" folder is just not what I want. Hence I'd never spotted that the My Files app even had this, though that's probably also because I use other file browsers most of the time).

Upvote 0
If you go into the Settings menu in your 'My Files' app there should be an option listed as 'Show categories'. If you uncheck it, the interface won't show those Documents, Audio, etc., there will just be two links, one pointing to your phone's storage and the other to your microSD card.
Just keep in mind the My Files app is just Samsung's added file manager. It's fine for basic tasks if that's all you need to do but a third-party file manager will have a lot more functionality.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones