• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Moment and HTC Hero now both $99.99 at Best Buy

Upvote 0
Is there any reason anyone buys at the sprint store anymore?

I used to, but now I don't see a point. The guy that worked at the local Sprint store used to be pretty informative, and really helpful. But he's gone, and the three new people seem to know nothing.

"Are there any cases that will fit the Moment?" --> "I don't know, probably."

"Is Sprint going to release an update to Android?" --> "Yeah, 1.6 comes out next week." (he said that last week)

Although the one woman that works there seems to hate Sprint, and encouraged me to call up customer service to complain about my phone, and threaten that I'll switch to Verizon. Her lack of knowledge about any of the phones made me think she probably doesn't even use Sprint. So I'm not sure how long she'll be working there.

Upvote 0
I don't remember when my contract ended, but it wasn't anytime soon. I was eligible for a new phone (the $75 credit, or whatever it is), and Best Buy sold me the Moment for $179 back on Saturday, just for extending my contract another 2-years.

It's possible (and based on some posts in this thread, likely) that they shouldn't have given me the $99 price when I went back yesterday, so that part of it is certainly YMMV. So I'll consider myself lucky (though I know another guy in this thread had a similar experience, and got the $80 refunded).

That's how I thought it worked as long as I extend my contract, but Sprint customer service says I can only get $75 off the original price $400+.

Anyone else get the full discount prior to their contract expiring?

Upvote 0
I want to replace my out-of-contract Treo with a Moment on a currently existing line, and enter a new 2 year contract for the Moment phone.

When I asked about this at a BB store today, the answer I got was "activating a Moment on a currently existing line costs $179". It does state that right on the pricing card by the phone.

I was hoping the salesperson would say "Psst... Hey Buddy! I'll give you the $99 price!" (for a currently existing line) but no such luck.

I still have a few days before the promotion expires, I will try again at a different BB store (nothing to lose), but I'm not holding my breath.

I have to know if they would sell me the phone for $99 because that would lessen my expense (approx $336/yr additional expense after discounts) to switch all the lines of my family plan to the mandatory "Everything Data Family" to accomodate the Moment.

-Gary K

Upvote 0
bought mine at the Sprint store because all the best buys were sold out. Figured I would have to deal with the 100 buck rebate instead of the instant cash off....and now this! I will always wait to buy it at best buy from now on...lesson learned!

I have some sweet perks on my plan and I worry about the Best Buy people messing with my plan, so I buy mine at the Sprint Store where I tell them not to touch my plan.

Upvote 0
bought mine at the Sprint store because all the best buys were sold out. Figured I would have to deal with the 100 buck rebate instead of the instant cash off....and now this! I will always wait to buy it at best buy from now on...lesson learned!

If you live in a smaller town (like I do) and the nearest Best Buy is approximately 6 hours away, and you can't wait/don't want to deal with an online transaction (which makes porting your existing number from another carrier that much more of a P.I.T.A.)... then yes, there is a reason to shop at the Sprint store. :)

Upvote 0
I got the phone last Wednesday for the $179 upgrade price, then saw it for $99 on Sunday when I was in there with my mom getting a new charger for her phone. I went straight to customer service and asked for a price match. The dude looked up my receipt and gave me the ~$86 in cold hard cash. I then promptly left the store giggling like a school girl!

I imagine if you go straight to customer service they won't notice the difference in "upgrading" and "new service". Then again, perhaps so many of us lucky people found the price and got it matched that there may have been a company bulletin to look deeper into the price difference.

For those of you who haven't got it yet. I suggest buying it at the $179 price ASAP, then trying to get it price matched a few days later. If they don't match it just return it and you're back in the same boat as before!

(BTW, first post; nice to be here!!)

Upvote 0
Best Buy (Ocoee, FL) price matched Amazon's $79 for me, with an existing account, but expired contract. :D

Oh great and powerful Captain Awesome please detail the steps you folowed to achieve such an AWESOME discount to this lowly fellow Sprint subscriber with an expired contract!

Should I purchase the phone for $179.99 first and then take it back showing the Amazon price?

Or should I take the Amazon price to them before I purchase the phone.

Also were you able to avoid extending your contract and if so how?

Thank You your AWESOMENESS!

Upvote 0
Wait a second. Why would anyone go through this Best Buy ordeal if this Amazon offer exists? I am one click (literally) from buying it on amazon and I am an existing customer and it is STILL giving me this awesome price. Plus Best Buy is going to charged a $18-36 upgrade/activation fee making it more than $99.99.

Upvote 0
Wait a second. Why would anyone go through this Best Buy ordeal if this Amazon offer exists? I am one click (literally) from buying it on amazon and I am an existing customer and it is STILL giving me this awesome price...
Where do you see the option to let you buy the phone + service as an EXISTING customer? I am a Sprint customer with an expired contract; I'm at the very last screen before I buy the phone and I've never once been asked about my Sprint account ID, etc.

Upvote 0
If you click on includes amazon.com instant discount under requirements on the Samsung Moment page you will also see
"Amazon.com Instant Discount Policy"

"When you purchase your device with service from Amazon.com, we automatically pass along an instant discount from the carrier to you. This discount has been provided to you based on your agreement to (a) activate a new, or extend an existing, line of service for this device with the carrier, and (b) maintain this service in good standing for a minimum of 181 consecutive days. If you do not activate or extend a line of service in connection with this device, or if your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 consecutive days, Amazon.com will charge you $250 per device, plus applicable taxes."

I however do now see any options when picking a plan and add ons to just upgrade your current account and transfer the information. (It doesn't allow you to just enter you current phone number and extent your contract on the website at least) I am also concerned what would happen if I wind up selling the phone before the 181 days are up, if they would charge me the $250 then. If that is the case I don't want to be locked into a phone for 6 months just to save $100. I am going to call them up tomorrow and speak with them.

ALSO IT NOW SAYS "USUALLY SHIPS IN 4-6 WEEKS". That is a long time to wait. Which means it isn't in stock right now. But this is just what I am interpreting the website information as. Like I said I am going to call Monday and see what they say. But it doesn't look promising.

Upvote 0
Wait a second. Why would anyone go through this Best Buy ordeal if this Amazon offer exists? I am one click (literally) from buying it on amazon and I am an existing customer and it is STILL giving me this awesome price. Plus Best Buy is going to charged a $18-36 upgrade/activation fee making it more than $99.99.

What ordeal? What am I missing?

I bought a hero at Bestbuy as an upgrade, no $18 fee for activation or anything.
Then I swapped for the Moment, after a couple days my moment keyboard broke and they were out of Moments, so I went back to a Hero cause they did not have an ETA for more Moments.
Then after a couple more days, when the got Moments back in, I swapped back.
To me, Bestbuy was absolutely amazing at customer service for cell phones. Better than Sprint stores in my problems with the touch pro's.

Upvote 0
That's exactly what I'm looking for....

Here's the reply I got from their executive support:

The Sprint AIRAVE device is available at Sprint retail stores . You can
visit Sprint AIRAVE or a Sprint retail
location for more information. I am sorry but it is not possible to
offer you the Airave device for free. You can visit the Sprint retail
stores to purchase it.

--

I even offered to pay for it monthly, I just don't want to put up the $100. Given this, the more I think of it, the more it's worth returning the phone.

The Droid is $150 on Wirefly and the Erid is $50. I still get a 18% corporate discount on the service, so it will be cheaper.

Do exactly what I mentioned in my email. You'll get it free. They said no to me like one or two times. I just called back and got to Customer Retention (Account Services). Those are the only folks that can make the call.

Upvote 0
Ok I just got a phone call from Sprint. Here is what happened.

I order the phone from Amazon.

They canceled my order due to availability.

Sprint called me to tell me that I would be receiving my order through them in a few days.

I just needed to switch my plan to a compatible plan which YES unfortunately does lock me in for another 2 years but I still got the phone at $79.99.

Just checked my sprint account and they charged me for the phone and my plan changed. I also received an email with my tracking number.

Victory is mine!

Upvote 0
Ok I just got a phone call from Sprint. Here is what happened.

I order the phone from Amazon.

They canceled my order due to availability.

Sprint called me to tell me that I would be receiving my order through them in a few days.

I just needed to switch my plan to a compatible plan which YES unfortunately does lock me in for another 2 years but I still got the phone at $79.99.

Just checked my sprint account and they charged me for the phone and my plan changed. I also received an email with my tracking number.

Victory is mine!

Wow, pretty awesome. Congrats!

How did Sprint know your phone number?

What's the ETA on the tracking?

And when Sprint called, were you able to negotiate at all on the contract? (As a long-time customer, I'm eligible for a $70 re-signing bonus and am curious if I can get that - it's basically equal to the discount you just got on the phone).

Upvote 0
Sprint knew my phone number because apparently Amazon is one of THEIR vendors and the credit check information step notifies them of someone applying for an activation of a line of service.

The many faces of the same business....

Waiting on the tracking number from UPS as they just received the package and it hasn't left yet according to their website.

Darn I didn't know about the $70 re-signing bonus.Wonder how I could bring that up? How did you find out about it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones