• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung not the problem

Samsung makes a good phone. The problem is not the phone, it is who makes the ICS software. As i've posted in the past I had a htc vivid phone worked fine until I did the upgrade to ICS. It really screwed that phone up. Could not use my bluetooth dropped calls and even droped calls while on the phone. I called htc about the problem and again they said that it was not there problem google was the one responable for the software. I did a factor reset on my phone still same problem. I had sent my phone back 3 times got new phone went and did up grade still issue. My first android phone was a samsung had one phone no issues with it until after 2 yrs. Upgraded to htc nothing but a headache after upgrade. So for me samsung makes a great phone. I will not be doing the upgrade on my note if I can get out of doing it. My phone is working great no issues and hopefully it stays that way.
 
I totally agree that Samsung makes brilliant phones, after all I have had succession of Samsung phones now which to me is rare as i like to try different brands with different features.

But i beg to differ on that it is not Samsung's fault, it is they who wrote the final release if ICS tailored for their products. It is up to them to make sure all is well with this release, it is them who we paid our moneys to.

I have never had any problems with Samsung builds up until ICS, all previous releases worked immaculately and so should they, but this ICS simply did not work for me and I truly felt let down by it after all the waiting and anticipation.

I gave it time and troubleshooted the problems, with clean slate (factory reset) and minimal apps but the problems persisted, that to me tells me the underlying build is causing these problems. Afterall things like swype and stock browsers are not something that i installed, but bundled out of the build, so i expect them to work out of the box.
 
How do you explain that a growing number of people like me report no problems? Have used Swype from day one, too.

It's not that I don't believe that people are having problems, I'm sure they are. What I can't understand is why those that do have problems think some simple 'fix' like a software patch or reverting the the previous version of the OS will magically solve their problems.

It's highly unlikely to be a hardware or hardware version problem. Hardware hardly changes once approved for release. ICS will undoubtedly have been tested rigorously by Samsung. The uncertain variable in all this is the way individuals are using their phones.

Again - I'm NOT making some kind of stupid judgment about individuals that suggests they are being irresponsible. All I'm saying is that there has to be an explanation behind the poor experiences some have had with the ICS upgrade. I have offered a few possible reasons, like battery profiling being reset after the update, mobile (background?) data mode being on by default after the update, and for those who are experiencing less than smooth operation it could be the use of battery saving mode, which I believe limits CPU power. Others have made suggestions that have helped them, like switching off Social Hub, for example.

Although I haven't needed to do this, resetting the phone after an ICS update is not a bad idea because it's like using a brand new phone again and you can set up the phone as you prefer and install apps in a logical manner hopefully meaning you will notice issues as they are caused and deal with them more easily.

But one thing I am sure of is that if your Note is configured properly then your ICS experience should be at least as good as Gingerbread, and mostly better.

Ian
 
Ian you really were one of the lucky ones then. I've reset my phone and touch wood, it seems to have sorted the battery. Before I reset, settings and what not had nothing to do with my diminishing Battery life. I configured less apps using power in ics than gingerbread and was still getting crap battery life. The note users aren't to blame for this battery problem in ics.
 
I still think it is a software problem. I have read on some of the other forums and after other people do the upgrade they have problems. Samsung note is not the only phone having issues with the upgrade. I think they put out the software to soon without checking it out real good before releasing it Some of the phones are doing ok with the update and some are not. I for one don't need the updates on my phone that bad to take a chance on getting my phone screwed up.
 
Back
Top Bottom