• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Say it's not so Google, losing the faith

reggjoo

Hey, I heard Google will help the carriers data throttle our android's! Tom's hardware has a article about it.

Do you have a link?

I only ask because I doubt google would take sides on this.

If so, I'm glad to be on sprint.

I don't know if it's related but I can swear that since I got the ICS update, tethering is gimped. Instead of steady 3G or H+, mine cyles H+,3G, H,H+,3G,H continuously. Has the effect of seriously slowing down the connection to the point where it is barely usable. Before it worked well.

Seems redundant to me. Carriers already monitor data usage for billing purposes and can therefore throttle at source if required.

I can't help wondering if this actually refers to the user-configurable data usage monitor in Android 4.0.x?

Yeah, that was my first thought was with what they did to integrate data usage in ICS. I honestly don't need "unlimited" data as I don't use a ton (though I have it through VZW), but I would never want to be throttled.

Carriers can throttle already, they do it every day. They don't need help from Google.

I can't help wondering if this actually refers to the user-configurable data usage monitor in Android 4.0.x?

Exactly what I was thinking. Probably a move to avoid yet another patent war casualty. Google is usually the one that provides the raw product, then sits back all casual like, staying above the fray, while the carriers decide how to hack it up tweak the experience for the end user.

If it were so, Im sure someone cleaver will write an app you can download from google to "fix" any such fix ;)

plus what about tablets that use WiFi, is it gonna really throtle you from using the full speed of your home network?

would need some sort of switch built in to tell one from the other, which could be exploited.

Back
Top Bottom