• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen Time Out

markdoc

Android Expert
Jun 28, 2011
Suburb of New York City, NY, USA
FYI: While testing an app for a developer, I found out something very strange. There is a setting under "Display" named "Screen Timeout". On my Pixel 6 Pro, the maximum time is 30 minutes. The developer, lives in the USA and his Pixel 6 Pro has a maximum setting of 10 minutes. And we both use Verizon as the carrier. That doesn't make sense especially with Google phones. I'm just curious, which maximum is the standard.
Thanks

FYI: While testing an app for a developer, I found out something very strange. There is a setting under "Display" named "Screen Timeout". On my Pixel 6 Pro, the maximum time is 30 minutes. The developer, lives in the USA and his Pixel 6 Pro has a maximum setting of 10 minutes. And we both use Verizon as the carrier. That doesn't make sense especially with Google phones. I'm just curious, which maximum is the standard.
Thanks
Usually around 30 minutes.

Upvote 0
Is your font size set to large?
If so, it may be possible that the setting for 30 minutes is not able to be seen without scrolling up.
Mine is 30 minutes and I would think a developer knows enough to scroll. But I guess anything is possible. If nobody says their maximum is 10, then you are probably correct. I never thought to ask him that, but I should have. Thanks

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
I was just pulling a guess out of... well, anyway.

Dumb stuff like that has happened to me before.

"Oh, I will change the font- now isn't that better? Yeah, now I don't need my glasses as much.
Hey, where the heck did that other setting go? Why do I have to scroll where I never had to before?"

Now add on a busy schedule and a pile of forgetfulness.

I have not had a phone with a short time out limit since my ZTE 432 (Blackberry knockoff), and the limit was like 30 seconds!

I just use 5 minutes now, it seems fine on battery and no unexpected screen offs.

I use Greenify so that I can turn the screen off with a long press of the Assistant button, and if I am out and about I use Proximity Service to shut the screen off when I put the device inside its case.

Greenify closes all (selected) apps and then locks the screen, and Proximity Service only turns off the screen, and has a wakelock- so that when I pull the phone back out it comes on (because of Wave Up) and is right where it was when I put it inside the case.

So unless I leave the device unattended, it is rare that the timer actually gets to do anything anyway.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Pixel 5 and max is 30 minutes. Should be the same as Pixel 6.
Screenshot_20220215-131911.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones