• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Secrets and Hints (hidden goodies of the indulge)

tiede

Android Expert
Following a conversation with ickster on the Main Application screen being customizable, I am starting this thread to summarize all the found hidden secrets of the Galaxy Indulge, so everyone can access them at a glance.

View all screens at once: Pinch on any home screen

Reorder icons in the Main Menu:
Tap the application icon, hit the menu button, select Edit. Touch and hold the application you want to move. (you can also move the Dialer, Message and Contacts Icons)

Access the Debug menu (a hidden samsung menu): Using anycut, create a shortcut for the second from last DATA activity

Turn on VPN support
Using anycut, create a shortcut to the 5th settings options counting from the bottom.

Turn 4G OFF and ON (without restart):
Using anycut, create a shorcut for the activity LTE Functionality Test (*). The first two options in there will turn 4g on or off. 4G will be turned back on after a phone call or receipt of a text message (*see 4g thread for details), also please note that there is also a turn off feature that is more permanent.

Turn 4G OFF for good (well, at least until a restart):
Open the dialer, type the code **583385##, and select Nw mode CDMA only to disable 4G LTE. Your selection will be confirmed through a "toast message" (fancy name for notification bubble). Exit by pressing the back or home button and restart your phone.
When you are ready to go back to 4G, just do the same thing and select as Nw "Global mode", and restart the phone.
The third mode, LTE only, which should be on the top right, will disable all phone calls if it is selected, and will turn your phone into an internet tablet only, as it will turn off the CDMA radio, which metro uses for voice and SMS. Therefore, only use it for testing purposes and DO NOT leave your phone in that state!

Turn on Mobile Hotspot
From the market, download the free app widgetsoid and select that widget from the list. This functionality is locked by a password from metropcs (for now, but it's being worked on).

Quickly access numbers on stock keyboard:
while typing, swipe finger straight up to reveal numbers. Note that this is for the stock android keyboard, not the swype keyboard.
On swype keyboard, a long press of the corresponding key will reveal the number.
Furthermore, on the swype keyboard, you can get accented letters by long pressing the corresponding latin character key for a longer period of time. Long press on a for example yields & then continued long press shows the letters

I already knew about being able to reorder the applications menu, but I didn't realize you could also move any of the 3 icons on the bottom bar (except for the applications/home one)...and even replace them with another app. Good find.

could you or anyone provide a step-by-step for barnacle, please? I can't get it to work for some reason :(
Hmmm Now it will not work , correctly....
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-3.png
It shows I am connected, it is just moving SSSLLLOOOWWW now ... the map shows
Laptop = = = Barnacle ==== gateway==== Internet

Whatever that means

Also when It worked there was not another connection available, I work out in the sticks and barnacle was the only connection available, Maybe the other traffic has something to do with the speed. I am using it to create this post... How do I add a screenshot here??
moz-screenshot-4.png

I got barnacle to work a little I guess. A buddy of mine could see it with his phone said it was a ad-hoc connection but I couldn't get my ps3 to see it

It works for my laptop but my wii and any other android phone cant connect, is thier a setting that we should change

To refocus the thread, I am adding a tip on enabling VPN for secure wifi connection. (not tested on 4g) ---anyone know how I'd go about doing that?

Ok... maybe this should be in a customization thread, but I started here, so... And it is still on topic.

Turning Mobile Hotspot on or off using widgetsoid: see first post.

Ok. Either nobody cares about this or I'm the best at finding hints...

Any body has some quick tips to help me make my indulge better?
For example, how do I turn off the swype pop up when a user added word blocked an entry previously at the top of the list? That annoying window gets on my nerve!

For example, how do I turn off the swype pop up when a user added word blocked an entry previously at the top of the list? That annoying window gets on my nerve!

IIRC, aren't there 2 or 3 options at the bottom of that pop up box, one of them being "ignore?"

Not on my side. My options are: tutorial, more tips, and options. And the options just take you to the main settings for swype, which do not include such setting...

Yeah, you are correct. The box came up today and I paid a little more attention to it this time.

what does banacle a 3rd party app downloaded in the market remotely have to do with "hidden goodies of the indulge"? Thats way off topic and should be talked about in the tethering thread.

back on topic, here is something I just discovered that you may or may not already know about. When using the built in android keyboard, if you press a key and then swipe your finger up the keyboard extends to allow you to select numbers without having to switch to the number keypad.

Saw this elsewhere here at Androidforums
If you hold down the notifications bar, it becomes a screen brightness adjuster. I guess auto brightness has to be off.

Saw this elsewhere here at Androidforums
If you hold down the notifications bar, it becomes a screen brightness adjuster. I guess auto brightness has to be off.

Yeah, if you have brightness all the way down it cranks it up.

While I do agree with your note on apps2sd, I don't think it qualifies as a goody. However, I feel it may be good to point out that the sweet spot for sd card speed booster for the indulge seems to be around 1792. Higher settings don't seem to improve much, and actually decrease write time.
Unfortunately, I cannot add this to the OP, since it requires root.

Not sure if this is any good or not, but here goes... :)

If you hold the red Fn button on the slide out keyboard, then press L or R arrow key, it acts as Home or End, respectively.

Not sure if this qualifies as a "secret" but I thought I'd share anyway. Personally, I found it very helpful as I have fat fingers and always have a hard time positioning the cursor exactly where I want it, especially when editing multi paragraphs of text.

Huge massive mega-update after a month long hibernation, to help the new forum users out.
See first post for details and new tricks!

If someone has interesting/useful ones I have not posted here, please, please, PLEASE let me know so we can update this list!

Back
Top Bottom