• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root semi-bricked my phone

I've searched for nearly a week and haven't been able find any help that works.

I've successfully rooted from 2.2.2 and deleted most of the bloatware and other crap that I don't use (keeping a log of what was killed so I could put it back on if needed).:D

I deleted the DUNservice apps last week thinking I don't need dial up networking. after that I couldn't end calls. So I reinstalled the DUN apps.
Apparently that didn't fix it. I could receive calls either. And this greatly pissed off the wife.

At this time I figured I'd give CM7 (CM7.2.0RC0-VS660-BobZhome) a try.
It did its thing but when the Android with the green sparkly rotating circle came up; it froze after a few minutes. So I pulled the battery and powered up again. Same thing. and the third and fourth and fifth times. Very frustrating.:mad:

After using LGNPST and adb and Rom Manager and damn near everything else I could think of; the best I can get is back with the last backup that doesn't have any DATA connection. No phone calls, No Push Data, No data period.
What does work is the camera, wifi, bluetooth, clock, calendar, everything else. and I'm finally at my wits end.:thinking:

Please help!!!!! (I've even almost considered stealing some drug thugs android)

Winston

ps: I just noticed that my baseband version is vs660mv7 and software version is vs660zv5. Is this normal?

Well, Glory Be!
I finally got CM7 to install. after aborting after 1/2 hour freeze earlier, I tried installing Lightning. This installed pretty quickly but still couldn't make phone calls. so I started over making sure I wiped everything again and anything else I could think of (Privacy wipe from with in the phone, then full wipe using recovery then each individual wipe option -except for wiping the sdcard).
After installing the ZIPs, it took about 2 minutes and 5 seconds to start.
Alas, I can still make no phone calls. I've only been able to update and activate using wifi so far. When I do make a call, Verizon says there's an error and to power off and back on (done several times) and then to call #8899 if it continues. Is it possible Verizon has cut me off? I have an unlimited data plan but only did some surfing. never downloaded and movies or such. I don't wanna call #8899 for fear of telling them I rooted (unless I have to). Are there any other suggestions I should try first?

tia.... Winston

and thanks to kappacat for the help so far

Upvote 0
I know the cm7 rom has a problem with data if that is what you're talking about. I never had a loss of service when using it. The work around for the data was to enable international data roaming in the mobile network settings. It doesn't actually charge you for roaming unless you were to leave the country.

Upvote 0
thanx for the extra info, but now I have a different (related) problem.
This morning I actually received a phone call. Totally unexpected. Everything worked fine but I still can't make calls nor do I have 3G connectivity.
BTW, I flashed back to my rooted 2.2.2 with ADWLauncher last night. The CM7 just looks like it'll take me time to get use to.
Until then, I'll keep working out why I can't place calls.

Winston

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I should have posted this sooner but here's an update.

After calling the #8899 number for Verizon (#8899 is the number you call when there's an "Authentication Error"), the tech said that there was an error on their network server and not being able to call out or use 3G was the result.

Now that my phone is working again (and doing proper amounts of backups), I'd love to try for the CM10 for Vortex again. But I'm still just a little wary.

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
I should have posted this sooner but here's an update.

After calling the #8899 number for Verizon (#8899 is the number you call when there's an "Authentication Error"), the tech said that there was an error on their network server and not being able to call out or use 3G was the result.

Now that my phone is working again (and doing proper amounts of backups), I'd love to try for the CM10 for Vortex again. But I'm still just a little wary.

I don't think we have a cm10 build to play with yet. I know there is the cm9 and cm7 ones though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones