• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Serious trouble rooting

guyguy821

Lurker
I read all the main posts and some of the other post in here about rooting but can't find one that works. I have the b11 update but i tried flashing and tried cwm recovery and everything that people are saying to try but nothing is seeming to work. Been trying to do this for a couple weeks. Would anyone be able to give me a lot of help or maybe go on teamviewer to help do it with me. Thanks so much!!

if youre on windows, and using the proper fastboot method of cwm installation, im going to guarantee you its a driver issue. you can use superrs bootable linux disk or use my guide to fixing the drivers, keep in mind if the phone is ON its not in fastboot mode... fastboot mode is the phone stuck on the green android guy you see when booting the phone up, if you run my C++ tool, try the fastboot thing, itll probably error out but put you into fastboot aka bootloader mode, you can then and ONLY then fix the drivers manually. you CANNOT fix fastboot drivers while not plugged into the computer and in fastboot mode. i do not have the internet connection speeds to be able to do a teamviewer and honestly i probably wouldnt anyway, kuz no offence but if i did it for you id have to do it for everyone and dont nobody got time for that

I tried to use the Linux disk but when i boot up on the cd it tells me to log in and i cant do anything. Not sure if i missed what to do with that cd but i tried to understand SuperR's instructions. Thank you guys for the response by the way.

I tried to use the Linux disk but when i boot up on the cd it tells me to log in and i cant do anything. Not sure if i missed what to do with that cd but i tried to understand SuperR's instructions. Thank you guys for the response by the way.

Well that's odd. To clarify, you downloaded the iso image, burned it to a cd using write image to disk or similar (not a data cd in other words), booted your computer to the disk, and it asked you to log in?

If all that is true, try typing "tux" as the username and just press enter for password. If you get something like slitaz@tux:~$ try typing "startx" then enter. Not sure what will happen, you are the first to report this behavior.

Wondering if the cd did not burn correctly or maybe you got a bad download. Alternatively, you can make a bootable flash drive which is my preference. Unetbootin works great. Here is a link that explains how to do it. If you are using windows, step 1 and 3 apply to you ;)

as far as i know the mint version made you log in as guest or something. at least that is what my buddy mouse said. but that was a little while ago i dunno if you have updated since then, i could swear that was in your instructions at the time though. either guest with no password or just hitting enter logged you in, something along those lines

as far as i know the mint version made you log in as guest or something. at least that is what my buddy mouse said. but that was a little while ago i dunno if you have updated since then, i could swear that was in your instructions at the time though. either guest with no password or just hitting enter logged you in, something along those lines
This is not build box or mint lol. It's Slitaz Linux so everything is different. You are correct though, mint build box 14 required that. Mint build box 15 does not and the cwm root flasher SHOULD not.

oh yea... duh. k yea i dunno. but technically windows SHOULD install the driver automatically, usually doesnt but on my new computer it did strangely enough. i dunno what to tell ya

Hmm well first ill try to use "startx" to start it up. If that doesn't work then ill try your 2nd recommended method but yes i did try typing in "tux" to log in. Still learning all this stuff so its a little complex for meh haha.

Hmm well first ill try to use "startx" to start it up. If that doesn't work then ill try your 2nd recommended method but yes i did try typing in "tux" to log in. Still learning all this stuff so its a little complex for meh haha.

It sounds like either a bad download or a bad/improper burn. The usb method will solve the problem if it's a bad burn, but not if it's a bad download. You may want to download again to be safe. Make sure you are not using boat browser or stock browser if you are downloading from your phone.

edit: it could be unsupported hardware but that would surprise me.

IMG_20130903_155555_331_zps9d248bcc.jpg

Kinda crappy picture but tried my best to take a picture of what happened when i typed "tux" and "startx". Maybe ill try the usb method.

My computer is a some what high end computer. I built it myself about 2 or 3 years ago. No issues with my computer it's self. Do you need more info like the actually hardware?

My computer is a some what high end computer. I built it myself about 2 or 3 years ago. No issues with my computer it's self. Do you need more info like the actually hardware?

No, it should work fine if it is 2 or 3 years old. I was wondering if it was brand new because occasionally it takes a while to get new hardware working in linux. It is possible your video card isn't compatible however if it's high end. Sometimes they require proprietary drivers to function.

What does the blinking cursor say in front of it when it stops? If it is something like slitaz@tux:~$ we can probably get you set up pretty easily without it booting all the way to the desktop.

Not sure what you mean by blinking cursor? I have no cursor at all when i am at this point of logging in.
Could you please explain what the screen looks like when it stops and what you see at the bottom of the screen, the last line specifically, while it is stopped?

i see the problem...
fatal server error:
no screens found

it means it cant find a monitor with compatable drivers to be able to start the xorg x11 server, aka startx when doing it manually
you my friend, are screwed

im gonna fancy a guess here, its probably not integrated graphics considering its a high end custom machine, so im gonna say... ATI video card? ati and linux are not good bedfellows in my experience

Maybe run the fixvesa command? (Sometimes its fix-vesa) This works on my netbook when xorg fails to detect a display/output.

you could also try:
Code:
startx -- :1
which will try to use display 1 instead of 0.

If you can get to a prompt like this on the live tool
Code:
slitaz@tux:~$
we can probably get cwm installed. I think your graphics card is unsupported and you may not be able to get a graphical desktop, but just need to type a few simple commands.

Plug in your device and make sure usb debugging is enabled. Then at the prompt mentioned above, type the following commands pressing enter after each and wait for each to finish:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery cwm.img
fastboot reboot
That's it.

edit: if this works for you, which i believe it will, I will add a fallback script to the live disk so others with the same problem will have an easy fix. Thanks in advance for testing. FYI, this will NOT brick your phone...it will either work or it won't but your phone is not in danger. Worst case scenario is that it does not work and you have to remove/replace your battery to get out of fastboot mode ;)

could make an even smaller more compatible version by using a command line based linux and a menu script. i think i may have suggested that already but still some people wont be able to use the graphical version and it would be significantly more compact with nothing but drivers, adb, fastboot, and a .sh file

not to say this isnt RIDICULOUSLY small and good but ya kno, might help some. or maybe make a menu.sh just in case and leave the gui

OOH! idea... have it launch a menu on boot that lets you either launch another text based menu with all the tools, or lets you go into graphical mode by running a startx command
that way its simple even for those who cant run graphical or have graphical issues, and since its linux, aka the os that doesnt have crippling fastboot issues, we could even make a one touch root method for b11 for it
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot cwm.img
adb shell -c "mount -o rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p15 /system"
adb push su... blah blah you know just dont forget to run a busybox install after pushing

not to say this isnt RIDICULOUSLY small and good but ya kno, might help some. or maybe make a menu.sh just in case and leave the gui
I will make a fallback script for situations like this if I get some feedback lol
OOH! idea... have it launch a menu on boot that lets you either launch another text based menu with all the tools, or lets you go into graphical mode by running a startx command
that way its simple even for those who cant run graphical or have graphical issues,
That's a good idea
and since its linux, aka the os that doesnt have crippling fastboot issues, we could even make a one touch root method for b11 for it
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot cwm.img
adb shell -c "mount -o rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p15 /system"
adb push su... blah blah you know just dont forget to run a busybox install after pushing
The tool already does this ;)

Back
Top Bottom