• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SetCPU: Max, Min, ondemand? Help Please...

shaggylouie

May 11, 2010
I need help with SetCPU (bought on the market). I see two bars - Max and Min and I see Scaling ondemand etc... I want to set a fast speed for "up time" and a slow speed for "down time" to save on battery life. After reading, I figured 710MHz is good, but what is what?

I'm very new to root (liking it so far - xtrROM 3.03) but I would like clear instructions how to set this properly on this app.

Currently have only set Max 710 and Min 710 ondemand. You guys have been awesome. Any more help would be appreciated!!!

-Shaggylouie

What kernal are you using? I've never seen a 710 setting on any kernel. You may need to refresh your device selection (open setcpu > touch menu button > device selection > autodetect).

I use on demand for everything and works flawlessly.

As for "down time" settings: I use SetCPU's profile options. i.e. screen off would be a lower clock speed cause i'm not using the phone.

Upvote 0
What kernal are you using? I've never seen a 710 setting on any kernel. You may need to refresh your device selection (open setcpu > touch menu button > device selection > autodetect).

As for "down time" settings: I use SetCPU's profile options. i.e. screen off would be a lower clock speed cause i'm not using the phone.

Kernal version: 2.6.29 zanfur@gandalf #46

I set the 710 setting. I then checked "set on boot". What is on demand? Sorry, I am very new and don't know much about this.

Upvote 0

710MHz is not an uncommon o/c speed for some kernels. The one I use, Ivanmmj's Eris Official 1.0 comes kernel-locked at 710MHz (its highest setting). You can flash Zanfur's o/c kernel patch to go higher if wanted/needed.

Kernal version: 2.6.29 zanfur@gandalf #46

I set the 710 setting. I then checked "set on boot". What is on demand? Sorry, I am very new and don't know much about this.

Read through the thread posted above (http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/98457-overclocking-hmm.html). It contains lots of good info / advice / settings. For example: don't enable "set-on-boot" until you are sure your device is stable at the speed you set. You also pretty-much want "on-demand" (o/c's when needed/appropriate vs. all the time) unless you want your phone cranked-up and o/c'ing 100% of the time. Be sure to also set a good failsafe temperature profile. All of this is covered in the above thread. Good luck!

Upvote 0
I had mine set at 768/19 and someone pointed out that when you "wake" the phone up, the jump from 19mhz to 768mhz seems to be a big battery hit. I was getting HORRID battery performance too... It was discharging at a rate that I'd need to charge it in 3-4 hours. Changed it to 768/480 and it's (the battery) is lasting much longer already.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones