• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Setting Google Voice as the default program for SMS?

Mischka7

Does anyone know if this is possible? I seem to remember being able to do this when GVoice first came out, but I don't see an option for it any longer.

Thanks,
Mischka

I'm assuming that when you text someone, it automatically goes into the default/third-party messaging program other than Google Voice.

Go to Applications, select the offending messaging app, look for "Launch by default", and select "Clear defaults". Start a text to anyone, and a popup should appear asking you to choose which messaging app to use. Select Google Voice, check the use-as-default under the selection list, and you're good to go.

Thanks Androidxen. I cleared the default messaging app, but when I try to create a text message it still defaults to the native messaging app.

I haven't used GV for texting for a long time but back when I did, you had to open the GV app in order to text.

Thanks Androidxen. I cleared the default messaging app, but when I try to create a text message it still defaults to the native messaging app.

Just super-redundant-confirming, you cleared default, not data, right? Perhaps try uninstalling Google Voice and then installing it again.

I haven't used GV for texting for a long time but back when I did, you had to open the GV app in order to text.

It doesn't work that way anymore - you can set Google Voice to default as your text messaging app.

It doesn't work that way anymore - you can set Google Voice to default as your text messaging app.

Nice. All my launch by default boxes are "grayed out" so not sure how I'd go about it. There's no setting I can find to select GV as the default SMS app either. Am i missing something? I can't remember ever having to choose a default texting app.

Back
Top Bottom