• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Silent Boot: Instruction and file enclosed

Rafael

Android Enthusiast
Initially I renamed the .mp3 sound file and the phone still booted....but it took forever.
I assume it spent much of the time looking for the file. Don't bother, use the below method.

I replaced the wakeup.mp3 file with a 1 second file of silence and the boot audio is now gone. Boots just fine. This file is located in /system/media/audio/boot/ and is called "wakeup.mp3".

I realize this is a crude method of removing it, but it was also damn easy.
Boot time is unchanged.

Here is the replacement "silent" audio file I made and used:
http://members.cox.net/friesen2/Commando/wakeup.mp3
Right click the link from your browser and "Save Target as" on your PC. Then you can move it to SD and use a file manager to replace the existing file. I renamed the old file as "wakeup.3pm".

Updated file: snups900, another user, improved my sound file. The link contains his file.
Mine was not truly silent....had a click in it. Thanks, snups900!

I use a File Manager from the Market called "Root Explorer". If you do not use a root-capable file manager you will not get the desired results.

__________________________________________________ ___________
As to the video animation, I am reluctant to rename it as it looks like an executable file. That could brick the phone.

Anyone know what type of file this is?
It is located in /system/bin/ and is called "bootanimation".

I tried replacing it with a different sound and it took for ever and never played :( I was so looking forward to hearing " I like Turtles" as my phone booted. haha

Was an .mp3 file?
It might help to find out the encoding of the original and duplicate it.....and may help to make the new files duration no longer than the original.

mp3. I tried to copy and paste it and I also tried to move and paste it. Neither worked, but the big g'zone and vzw parts were gone from the loading upon restarting.

This was never intended to alter or replace the bootanmimation, only audio.
Were I you, I would think I did something wrong, very wrong, if it altered video.
Did you use your file or the one in my link?

Be careful.

Mine, I dont want a silent one, I want one that makes me laugh. Did you just rename it and leave it in the boot file, or move it to a different file after renaming?

This file is located in /system/media/audio/boot/ and is called "wakeup.mp3".

It should have the same name as the original, and be placed in the same location as the original, as stated above.

Do what you like with the old file....rename, move, or delete it.

I did as the instructions said, and it did not work. The only difference was I used the application Explorer, not Root Explorer. Could that be why?

Yes, from what I have read of "Explorer". It appears this program is only meant to modify SD card contents, not system contents.

It easy to tell if you are doing it right:
Rename the existing file as "wakeup.3pm". If the rename oeration worked, the file will take on the change.

If you read the reviews on "Explorer" you will see that it is not meant to alter anything but SD card files.

Yes, from what I have read of "Explorer". It appears this program is only meant to modify SD card contents, not system contents.

It easy to tell if you are doing it right:
Rename the existing file as "wakeup.3pm". If the rename oeration worked, the file will take on the change.

If you read the reviews on "Explorer" you will see that it is not meant to alter anything but SD card files.

I did read that it was supposed to be for SD card stuff only, but then I saw that I could browse threw everything. It was worth a try!

Do you know of any free program to edit all files? I really do not want to pay for an application to use it for this one, silly thing.

Have you been able to figure out how to change the intro animation screen? I would like to make it a simple picture maybe to speed up the boot time.

I don't know of a free file manager that will do this.

Lets understand this train of thought......
You don't want to spend $3.70 on a program you want?
You pay more than $50.00 per month for phone service, likely more lie $80.00 per month.
You voided the warranty on a $400.00 phone in the first few weeks of ownership so you could modify it; leaving you with the cost of full replacement if you damage it in tinkering around with the OS.

Makes no sense to me.

The Root Explorer license will follow you to your next phone. I have used mine on two phones, so far.

Lastly, we get the opportunity to support people who take the time to create programs that help us. These programs, Titanium, Root Explorer, etc....are bargains at twice the price.

(I have no relationship to the authors/producers of these programs)

I don't know of a free file manager that will do this.

Lets understand this train of thought......
You don't want to spend $3.70 on a program you want?
You pay more than $50.00 per month for phone service, likely more lie $80.00 per month.
You voided the warranty on a $400.00 phone in the first few weeks of ownership so you could modify it; leaving you with the cost of full replacement if you damage it in tinkering around with the OS.

Makes no sense to me.

The Root Explorer license will follow you to your next phone. I have used mine on two phones, so far.

Lastly, we get the opportunity to support people who take the time to create programs that help us. These programs, Titanium, Root Explorer, etc....are bargains at twice the price.

(I have no relationship to the authors/producers of these programs)

I did not know that it can be taken to another phone. That was my biggest concern. My old Blackberry I lost a bunch of paid applications.

Don't mind supporting the good guys! Mise well go ahead and get it.

Cool.
Yes, all of my paid apps licenses followed me when I switched phones.
Of course, I kept the same number and same provider(Verizon) from the old phone to the new one.

I beleive the app licenses are tied to your Gmail account. They should follow that account.

I hate the snap-out menu noise.
My girlfriend griped about it when I used the menu.

....one of the more annoying things about this phone in it's stock configuration.

I hate the snap-out menu noise.
My girlfriend griped about it when I used the menu.

....one of the more annoying things about this phone in it's stock configuration.

I agree with this. Maybe I can find the sound file for it, and do a similar swap for sounds as you found out to do with the boot audio?

Back
Top Bottom