• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Silent Boot: Instruction and file enclosed

I found it a while back, but it was not an mp3, it was an ogg file or something like that.
I think it is part of the "Home" app, the original launcher.
I replaced that app wih GoLauncherEX.

If you have a root file manager like Root Explorer, you can extract the launcher to SD and get at the file. It should be in the assests folder.

I prefer GoLauncher so much that I don't feel the need to fix the stock launcher.
I removed the app altogether.

I found it a while back, but it was not an mp3, it was an ogg file or something like that.
I think it is part of the "Home" app, the original launcher.
I replaced that app wih GoLauncherEX.

If you have a root file manager like Root Explorer, you can extract the launcher to SD and get at the file. It should be in the assests folder.

I prefer GoLauncher so much that I don't feel the need to fix the stock launcher.
I removed the app altogether.

I might give this a try this evening. I don't really use the snap out menu a lot. I didn't know until a few weeks ago about making "direct call" or "direct message" icons. I think I will just fill my snap out menu with people I call a lot.

I may try GoLauncherEX soon, but I am a little worried about changing all my home screens. Will look into this as well this evening. Have to get my teeth drilled and stuff this afternoon so I will just be hanging around with some free time.

The good thing is there is little chance of doing permanent damage to your phone just messing with the snap-out sounds. If you mess it up, it will likely just cause force-closes when you try to use the snap-out menu. No big deal. You can restore the home app from Titanium and be right back where you started.....or just replace the sound file if you can...that is easier.

At least 3 of us on this board have done enough tinkering to be "close" to bricking our phones: rjglenn, Oregon2, and myself. So far only one of us went too far..........and had to replace the phone....but that person has a lot more knowledge than I and was tinkering waaaay above my level. You should be safe here....so long as you are sure where you are and what you are modding.

Good news.....

The silent boot file was maintained by the 2.3.3 update.
Still silent.

FWIW....the modified Browser database remained as well.

BTW....
I have since dumped Go Launcher......moved on to Zeam Launcher, another free app on the Market. This is a nice little minimalistic launcher.

The bootanimation file is located in /system/bin/bootanimation but boot animations for android aren't just videos but it contains a desc.txt file, a part0 folder (png images)
and more folders sometimes, but people have made tons of boot animations. only thing i'm worried about replacing it, is that some companies make their own format for boot animations, more specifically samsung. I'm worried that ours may be the same because its not labeled as a .zip file like most are.

I tried a bunch of them before settling on Metallica. They were all just ringtones I have on my phone. Most are about 30 seconds.

Rafael, thanks for the boot audio tip. I've got mine playing Hells Bells. Any luck with replacing the boot animation?

Spike's concerns are worth noting.
I know little to nothing about how to mod it.
Bootanimation is extremely low on my priority list of wishes anyway.
Getting rid of these annoying sounds is much more important to me.....good thing it is easy.

You won't be able to do this to a non-rooted phone. You can't change the system files without root access.

Yup, I have been trying it, to no avail. Hopefully someone will figure out the loophole to gain root with this m100 build.

Back
Top Bottom