• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Skyrocker holsters? (carrying cases)

I'm looking for a case/holster that clips on to my belt. I don't want full body cases (like an otter box) and I don't want any hard cases. The one I have now is a leather holster, but the problem I have with it is I think it is leaving black marks on my Zagg screen protector, I think it may be the lining of the holster. The lining is a black suede(?) like material. So I'm looking for a holster with a magnetic flap to prevent the phone from falling out, preferably leather, and won't leave black marks on my Zagg screen protector. Any recommendations?

This is what I ultimately settled on.

It's not leather, but it fits the Skyrocket perfectly. To be fair, I use it in combination with this as well, though it was a VERY tight fit at first, so I think even without that on there, the phone would still be snug in this holster. It's not made specifically for this phone, though, so the ports on the bottom and top are not accessible while the phone is in the case.

I remember seeing a few leather one similar to it when I was looking around. However, I preferred the 'fixed' clip as opposed to the plastic ones that let the holster rotate, which most leather ones seem to have.

that does look like a nice case. I suppose leather isn't too important, as long as it's not a hard case. What is the inside lining material like? Is is a suede like material or just a soft micro fibre like material?

The inside is some soft material, probably some kind of microfiber like you mentioned. It's far from a bad case, and was the closest I could find to what I wanted when I was looking. And it sounds like you're looking for about what I was looking for. I went through probably a dozen possibilities, with this one having the most of the various things I was looking for (not a hard case, not a swivel clip, good size/fit, horizontal when clipped, magnetic flap, etc).

I'll admit that the fabric could be better - after about 6 months of use, there is obvious ware. If you're looking for something that will look professional with business attire, then you may want to keep looking. This is easily a more 'casual' looking case, especially after you've been using it a few months. I don't really mind too much, but YMMV.

Also, I've noticed mine is beginning to tear a bit, but I believe that's more because I'm stretching it quite a bit by using the silicone sleeve on mine as well. If you're not going to use one of those, this will be less of an issue as the case is a very snug fit out of the box, from what I recall.

The only other issue I've noticed is the rubber lining that goes around the flap and the hole on the bottom of the case. The lining on the hole has come off already. You can't really tell unless you're looking for it and it doesn't bother me at all, but it began to come off after a few months, so I pulled it off completely when I noticed, in an effort to prevent it from snagging on anything. To me it's minor, but that might matter to you more. For the record, the lining on the flap seems fine to this day and that's the one I'd feel matters a bit more.

I've attached some pics of mine as it is now that might help show what it looks like with the stock phone in it. Remember that mine is stretched a bit now, so while the phone without a sleeve on it sort of slides around in the case now, I remember that it didn't do that much, if at all, when I first got it. Regardless, in the last pic, you can tell that there's a bit of room above the phone where it would rest naturally. I never did find a case like this that was specifically designed for this phone. Maybe one exists these days, I haven't looked again.

The little green logo thing looks kind of annoying, but the flash on these pics make it stand out a LOT more than it really does. It doesn't look nearly as bright in person.

I had a really nice Case Logic case in this same style (but leather with a suede lining) for my Motorola Backflip when I used it. I was really hoping they would make one that would reasonably fit this phone, but they didn't when I was looking. Maybe they do now?

Despite the 'bad' things about the case that I've mentioned (which is what most probably want to know anyway), I've been happy with it overall and plan to keep it until it falls apart or when I get a new phone, whichever comes first.

Anyway, hope it helps.

Attachments

• 2012-08-07 19.07.06.jpg
    2012-08-07 19.07.06.jpg
    805.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 2012-08-07 19.07.38.jpg
    2012-08-07 19.07.38.jpg
    875.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 2012-08-07 19.07.49.jpg
    2012-08-07 19.07.49.jpg
    913.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 2012-08-07 19.11.36.jpg
    2012-08-07 19.11.36.jpg
    796.8 KB · Views: 99
That case looks like it has pretty much all the features that I want. The inside looks like my old blackberry case, and that one never left black marks on my screen protector. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll probably end up getting that case.

Back
Top Bottom