• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Skyrocket comparison thread

Finally getting a smartphone from at&t and can't decide what to get! So I have a couple questions hopefully you can answer.

Processor- The captivate has 1GHz Dual-core Tegra 2 Processor while the skyrocket has 1.5 GHz dual-core processor. How big of a difference does this extra .5 GHz make? Also is the Tegra processor somehow better?

Network- The captivate has 4G speeds delivered by HSPA+ while the skyrocket has 4g. How much better is 4g and can the skyrocket use 3g networks?

Any other huge differences I should note? I don't care about screen size, camera or any of that.

Thanks!

There is a vast difference between HSPA+ and LTE in speed. If you are interested in running in 4G and AT&T is your vendor, then the Skyrocket, the Nitro and the Vivid are your only choices.

The processor speed makes some things that are somewhat sluggish in Android (touch response) faster.

Upvote 0
#1 - 4G LTE is not the same as 4G HSPA+. You need to check if you have LTE in your area (odds are you dont because AT&T only had LTE enabled in a handful of areas around the country). Yes, all 4G phones will work in 3G areas but if you do not have LTE in your area, an LTE phone is worthless if thats all you wanted it for.

#2 - The .5GHz processor is a big difference in cell phones.

#3 - you SHOULD care about screen size. The camera is a personal preference but the screen is something you will be looking at every day. You should care.

#4 - the glide has a keyboard, i think. The SR does not. That may or may not make your decision for you.

Personally, I dont think you should compare these two phones. I have not played with the Glide but the SR is in a completely different class. Its a much better phone, overall.

Upvote 0
Trying to make a pros and cons list for both please mention if I missed any or if anything is incorrect?

Skyrocket:
Pros: Bigger screen, slightly better sar rating, has 4g lte available.
Cons: Although 1.5Ghz the processor is snapdragon and is slower then 1.2 Ghz exynos. Even though it has a bigger battery it has less battery life. I've read that some skyrockets use data even though you aren't using any (not sure if true).

Sgs2:
Pros: Better processor (supposedly), better battery life.
Cons: Smaller screen, no 4g lte, worse sar rating
thanks!

Upvote 0
If you are in an LTE area, I'd suggest the Skyrocket. The difference in data speed is HUGE. For me, buying a non-LTE phone in an LTE area would be like buying an EDGE phone in an HSDPA+ area: wouldn't even consider it. If you are not in an LTE area, I'd recommend the GSII. Slimmer with better battery life and better processor.

Trying to make a pros and cons list for both please mention if I missed any or if anything is incorrect?

Skyrocket:
Pros: Bigger screen, slightly better sar rating, has 4g lte available.
Cons: Although 1.5Ghz the processor is snapdragon and is slower then 1.2 Ghz exynos. Even though it has a bigger battery it has less battery life. I've read that some skyrockets use data even though you aren't using any (not sure if true).

Sgs2:
Pros: Better processor (supposedly), better battery life.
Cons: Smaller screen, no 4g lte, worse sar rating
thanks!

Upvote 0
New member here. Just wanted to say my peace about switching over to the Skyrocket from my old 3GS.

Thoroughly enjoying the switch. The learning curve wasn't too terrible, I just had to get acquainted with being able to have settings change ability on every page.

The screen is gorgeous, the phone is light and powerful. Compared to my sisters 4s, I'm happy I hopped off the Apple bandwagon. This phone just makes me happy all the time.

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones