• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Slider as a wifi hotspot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shmargin

Lurker
I've currently got virgin mobiles optimus v, and I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm thinking of upgrading to the optimus slider, since it runs a little faster, about as fast as mine is overclocked to right now, and I like the physical keyboard, but I need to know if it can use quick settings (or similar app) to broadcast a wifi hotspot like my V can.

Thats my deciding factor right now, passing on the triumph cause it can't do it.

I've currently got virgin mobiles optimus v, and I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm thinking of upgrading to the optimus slider, since it runs a little faster, about as fast as mine is overclocked to right now, and I like the physical keyboard, but I need to know if it can use quick settings (or similar app) to broadcast a wifi hotspot like my V can.

Thats my deciding factor right now, passing on the triumph cause it can't do it.

You can't as far as I know. Virgin is blocking the wifi hotspot now.
You can install a custom rom and regain that functionality. Builds should be out soon for this phone.

anyone found an infrastructure mode that works for this phone? thanks.

This will only happen if somebody figures out how to port CyanogenMod or some other pure android implementation of Android to this phone. In other words no, if you want infastructure you're going to have to dink around in things that even I am afraid of.

THX for the response..

well, as Prissy said in Gone with the Wind, I don't know nothin about birthin no babies......and made Scarlet step up as a consequence.... to save the pure soul.. Melanie.. (not sure why I said that)

The Froyo 2.23 on SD works amazingly well on Sprint Touch Pro 2 with infrastructure mode built in so my HP Touch Pad can connect to the universe when on the road.....

and the GPS on Android is amazingly excellent... who needs Garmin or Tom Tom....

New (used) TP2 arriving tomorrow..to replace the one that magically disappeared.

Kuddos to all who understand all these things... I just beat my head against the wall until it gives.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bear in mind that wifi hotspotting is blocked from the phone because it is against your Terms of Service with Virgin Mobile and is considered theft of service. VM offers a hotspot/tethering plan, Broadband2Go with their MiFi devices.

VM's TOS said:
Specific Terms and Restrictions regarding Data Services

If your plan includes data services, such services are provided solely for purposes of web browsing, messaging, and similar activities. You are responsible for all data activity from and to your mobile phone or device regardless of who initiates the activity. You may not use the data service: (1) with server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing or other systems that drive continuous heavy traffic or data sessions; (2) as a substitute or backup for private lines or frame relay connections; (3) with "auto-responders", "cancel-bots", or similar automated or manual routines which generate excessive amounts of traffic, or which disrupt user groups or email use by others; (4) for an activity that connects any device to personal computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for the purpose of transmitting wireless data over the network (unless customer is using a plan designated for such usage), (5) to send "spam" or unsolicited commercial or bulk email (or activities that have the effect of facilitating unsolicited commercial email or unsolicited bulk email); or (6) for any activity that adversely affects the ability of other people or systems to use either our wireless services or other parties' Internet-based resources. We reserve the right to limit, suspend or terminate without notice any misuse of our network or violation of these Terms of Service.

and here's the wifi hotspot piece

android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

safe_image.php

Hint-- you may need to use a file explorer program such as ES file explorer (android market) so that you can find the file you download to your computer.

Once you locate it, just click open, activate, etc.

You will probably want to adjust the wifi settings. Activate the access controls, rename the SSID to whatever you want to name your hot spot, and then change the passcode.

happy trails!

From the Site Rules & Guidelines:

Tethering without a carrier required required plan is theft of services. You are stealing from the carrier. It goes beyond modifying your own personal device.

This is something we are not willing to help members do. Much like talk of how to work the system to return devices you've broke, etc. That too is theft.

Some say, "well, rooting is against the TOS, so....". Rooting, if against the TOS, could result in a suspended account. That is on you and your responsibility and we're willing to aide in letting you make that choice. It is your device, you should have that choice.

These issues aren't related to rooting in this sense and shouldn't be compared as such. This is a decision made by the owner of this privately run site, which we have the right to do and enforce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom