• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SMS sound change

alexb123a

Newbie
I need a different sound on my Note 2 to tell me when I have a SMS. I can see how to change notifications but not SMS only.

Any ideas?

Thanks
 
Is there any way to assign a different sms tone to each contact?

You should be able to edit the Contact and select a specific sound file for ringtone and notification. It works for me (I use Handcent as a messaging app - don't know if that matters or not).
 
Is there any way to assign a different sms tone to each contact?

You can change the ring tone for contacts by editing the contact, as stated above, but not the SMS tone by default.

Go Contacts allows you to add personalised SMS tones from Settings-Individual Settings. It's a great SMS replacement.
 
You may as well try Hand Cent too. I've never used it myself but I am now used to Go and have the themes set up to match the rest of the phone and so on. You may as well compare the 2 early on and see which one you prefer.

The main issue with multiple SMS clients is multiple notifications though.
 
I've been on Handcent for quite a while and like it. There is an option to make it the default texting app, which should stop notifications on other texting apps (at least it stops the stock texting app for me).

But now I'm noticing that Handcent's custom notification sounds aren't working on on my N2 (stock 4.1.2). I have them set in the app, but everyone is pulling the tone I set for the general tone at the app level.
 
In the FAQ for Go Contacts it advises going into the built in messaging app and disabling the notifications there to be on the safe side even if Go is set to launch by default. The built in one may get preference for alerts maybe.
 
Back
Top Bottom