• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SO accurate. ""NOT"", OK GUYS TELL WHY THIS IS ONLY HAPPENS TO MY PHONE????

I go ,ONLY @tops say 400 yards too work and back home. I go home check through my history 4 maps and it shows me going al over hell's backyard and always to other mens house
Doing things that I just could not BECAUSE I AM AT WORK NOW I HAVE BEEN WITH MY MAN FOR21 years ,, and plan 2 die with him as well. I am not doing what my phone shows..
SI WHY IS THIS HAPPENING , GOOGLE OR VERIZON IS WEARING ME THIN.. HELP

Happens to my wife's phone as well. She works 1/2 a mile from home, but her location is all over the neighborhood (according to Google) while she's at work. The problem is a weak or non-existent GPS signal, a weak and sporadic LTE/GSM signal and WiFi all over the place from multiple ISP's.

Since her office is on the lower level of the building and has no windows, when she's there, Google location services is relying on triangulation from cell towers to pinpoint where she is. That's much less accurate than GPS and, when those signals become weak, if you have enhanced location turned on, it will try to use WiFi for location. The problem with WiFi is that is may report an access point or router or switch location, or, in the case of a VPN, you could be literally anywhere on the planet there are networks.

You could tell your phone to ONLY use GPS signals, but you may get loads of notifications about services that rely on location to not be able to locate you. Or, and I am not being a smart a$$ ... you gout get a new phone. Once the Mrs. upgraded to a Galaxy 10e, her reported location was considerably more reliable and accurate. FWIW, I still see her location jump to weird places (like in the middle of the river) when she leaves work, but my guess that when she hits daylight and the GPS signals start to take over, it gets a little confused until it establishes enough satellite signals.

Upvote 0
Actually I use GPS only and never get notifications about needing access. Perhaps because I don't use those apps, but I've never allowed network-based location and this has never been a problem for me.

The only app that currently ever complains is Google Maps, and that's just because wireless location gives more information to Google and so they occasionally nag/lie to you to turn it on. I just dismiss those when they appear, which isn't often (it's not to do with getting a location fix, because I already have one when the message appears, so I conclude that it's just Google trying to get me to unnecessarily change my settings to what serves them better).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones