• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So, need an opinion.

Zardos

Well-Known Member
Ok, I'm about to jump ship to Verizon from Sprint, The Evo just didn't cut it for me, I thought I could get over the lack of a keyboard, but I couldn't. Can't play Snesoid for crap without it.

Anyway, I'm want to get a Droid, but should I wait for the Droid 2 to come out? I have no problems at all rooting and OCing the phone, so once I get the Droid home I'll have it wide open and being awesome. Plan on putting a 2.2 rom on it from these forums.

Ideas? I have zero interest in the Droid X.
 
That's a tough call. There's no concrete date on the Droid2 so it depends on how long you're willing to wait. The potential that thing has is killer though. If you can hold out on Sprint (up to) another few months I'd say wait for the Droid2.

The Droid is out, it's awesome, it's wide open. It's vanilla Android. The community is HUGE.
2.2 is running fast, and great.
 
The droid 2 is rumored to be an August release... but personally, the lack of customization without root is a deal breaker, so I will wait for the 2 t be rooted before I snag one. I guess in the end, it is all about what you want.
 
If i was you i would jump over to the orginal droid like fadelight said the community is huge and the roms and everything is running smooth
 
the other comments are right on. a couple other things to consider:

- the Droid is free right now thru wirefly. Droid 2 will likely be $200.

- if you're really into Snesoid, there's the Game Gripper for the Droid. i haven't used one, but it looks awesome:

game-gripper

all that being said, the Droid 2 looks pretty nice, and i think you have a hard decision.
 
The droid 2 is rumored to be an August release... but personally, the lack of customization without root is a deal breaker, so I will wait for the 2 t be rooted before I snag one. I guess in the end, it is all about what you want.

In addition to that, being able to try new roms, new themes, tweak your radio baseband for better 3G coverage, all these things become rather addictive. In fact, my Droid is my hobby. Whatever time I have for "me", I'm always messing with it. I'm right there with Fadelight... Droid 2 is an awesome machine, but I'm gonna wait until there is root access before I give up all the fun I'm having with the original.
 
Hopefully Motorola won't try too hard to lock the Droid 2 down. Also all the tech sites have said the guts of the Droid X and Droid 2 are essentially the same, so devs will have a sort of head start on rooting the Droid 2 by rooting the Droid X.
 
i jumped ship from the sprint hero broke contract to get the droid cause i couldnt stand dropping calls, no keyboard and the slowness of the hero....the best for me the the verizon customer service which blows sprints out of the water....they are nice and intelligent...
 
Just another thought, I purchased my Droid new from Ebay about a month ago for 380. You could always go that route if you have the money, that way you're not locked into a contract. Once the Droid 2 comes out and is rooted you could always sell the droid and get the droid 2.
 
And I'm gonna go the other way and say I'd wait for the Droid 2. Packing a 1 GHz TI OMAP3630 CPU and twice the RAM of the Droid, that thing is gonna be a beast. It's gonna make our Droid Classics(tm) look pretty sad. And I would just about guarantee it gets rooted in short order (hell some phones are getting rooted before they hit retail shelves these days). It's not like you're slummin' rocking an EVO, afterall. So I'd either wait, or do as Papadroid suggested and go the Ebay route for a temporary Droid 1.
 
Anyway, I'm want to get a Droid, but should I wait for the Droid 2 to come out?
The standard reasoning for dealing with any "Should I wait?" question applies. Only you can determine if the Droid 2 is worth an indeterminate (as of now) wait.
 
Back
Top Bottom