• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Soft Bricked Boost Samsung Prevail 2 SPH-M840

WolfieLuvs

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out that I was an idiot and restored the original OS

I rooted my phone last night using the Framaroot method to install super user and decided to go ahead and install ROM Manager. When it promtped me to install ClockworkMod, I complied and installed it and proceeded to try and reboot in recovery mode. My phone now will not boot past the first Samsung logo, instead going into the black screen of doom. I cannot get into recovery mode. However, I can boot into download mode and I can also get into upload mode. I also tried leaving that battery out for a bit with no luck. Is there anything I can do to fix this? My phone is kind of my life.

Posted using my girlfriend's prevail 2

No I used Odin. I actually still have the stock OS saved on my computer. Lemme upload it to Dropbox and I'll link you to it. The original link that Koumajutsu posted is broken.

That would be awesome. Not a whole lot of support out there for this phone. I'm going to have to use Heimdall on my old linux box - but we'll give it a shot!

Okay... firstly I'm sorry for being a noob. Second I have this phone on boost mobile and I have bricked it. I can enter recovery mode but the factory reset does not work. The phone gets stuck onthe samsung logo. I don't have any recovery programs on it as after I rooted it I wanted another background for the status bar so i installed an app for that. It had an option to back up so i did that and then selected a screen i liked... the phone frooze so i left it alone until it died and well here we are.

Any way to unbrick this? Can i download the stock rom posted and restore it with that? The phone had android 4.1 jellybean. The sku is SPHM840ABB

And how? Put the rom on an external sd, boot into recovery, install from zip ? Do you rename the file?

I have slow net speed so if it isnt the correct rom id not want to dl it.

I have no rom or update software on my pc...

If the rom posted is incorrect could i be linked to the correct one? Please help, i feel awful having bricked it so soon.. ill appreciate any replies. Thankyou for reading

Ayy man did you ever figure this out? lol BIG NOOB here... SAME EXACT situation. cant get it to go into recovery mode.. when i attempt to do so i get the main startup samsung logo (of death) and a little box with text in it in the upper left corner then it just shuts off

*EDIT* Found some helpful tips on returning to stock with ODIN. I am currently downloading the FF19_stock file. Gonna try to put this baby into download mode and see what she does. Will post results!

Hey, guys. Sorry I didn't see your replies until now. I've been fairly busy.

The original Rom is still up on this thread. Download that, either to the external SD or to your computer. If you use the sd method, then yeah, just install the zip through recovery. Using odin, just flash it to the phone and that should fix the problem.

Oh no I just did the framaroot and uninstalled the touch ewiz home and the mobile ID and now my phone will start up to the black with Samsung logo and do nothing else!!!:( is there a thread that tells what keys to press to get into what modes?

Oh no I just did the framaroot and uninstalled the touch ewiz home and the mobile ID and now my phone will start up to the black with Samsung logo and do nothing else!!!:( is there a thread that tells what keys to press to get into what modes?

It's black because you deleted your launcher. The phone has no interface to load.

Did you install cwm?
Did you make a backup?

If not, you are going to need a computer to fix the phone.

You either need to install cwm recovery or use adb + command prompt to push the launcher back to the phone.

It's black because you deleted your launcher. The phone has no interface to load.

Did you install cwm?
Did you make a backup?

If not, you are going to need a computer to fix the phone.

You either need to install cwm recovery or use adb + command prompt to push the launcher back to the phone.

oh so what i have done after searching this forum last night... i down loaded odin, i down loaded the samsung usb drivers, i down loaded the stock image file,,,,, pieced together how to use odin and got it into the mode and loaded the file with odin..... IT WORKED !!!!! for all of 5 mins then it said a network update was downloading......NOW it will not go into any mode, will bring up samsung, no sound then flash black for 2 and blue for 7 over and over. i took the battery out all night and well this morning it still will not go past the samsung screen to anything other then black and blue flashes,,,,i did get it to say to enter recovery mode press.... but then it flashed blue and black again

i am not sure what an abd is or how to do the command prompt thing but i guess i can read up on it:)

ok so i read about the the adb and the cwm and yes i did down load the clock work mod file but no idea where it put it on odin, but i did have it on the image screen with recovery mode info like on the cwm thread. but after that i loaded the stock image and got it working, but like i said it is blinking now :(

Hey WolfieLuvs,

I sent you a PM. I am hoping you still have that stock img of prevail 2. I've been everywhere and back looking for something to restore this phone. Lost everything on the internal sd and need to restore it. Apprecate it much and shout out to Lord V for helping me get a Rush back up and running beautifully that had the same issue.

I found a recovery tar for this phone and it works. I can use the phone again and do anything as if it were out of the box. It does come up with a Mobile Splash Screen instead of the Boost Splash Screen.

Unfortunately, when I began researching to root this Prevail 2 I noobed it and I accidentally was in the "Prevail" forum and not Prevail 2. I then rooted my phone using the Prevail method and not the Prevail 2... Which BTW the Prevail 2 method is way easier (uses Framaroot) which even ticked me off more, lol. But now after using this recovery tar for the Prevail 2 I can't use the Framaroot rooting method. I picked Superuser/Gandalf but the app freezes and nothing happens. I tried to uninstall reinstall, clear data, etc.

Is there any developers out there that could take a look at this Prevail 2 Recovery tar and maybe modify it so it will completely return your phone back to stock in the same way the Galaxy Rush recovery file returns you back to stock and unroots your phone?

ANYONE???

Come on we have a working recovery tar, we just need a developer with some skills to help out. It would be nice to have a recovery that would completely return this phone back to stock.

Any developers interested in taking on the task????

I'll help ya out.. I need a system dump. got terminal skills? if not I can still walk you through.. you'll have to test for me as I do not own this device. :)

Much appreciated!!! I am familiar with using a terminal but will still need to be walked thru...

The Boost Prevail 2 that I have was accidentally completely wiped. It would boot to the samsung logo (with yellow triangle) and then the screen goes blank.

I downloaded recovery.tar.md5.tar that was mentioned in previous threads for this phone. I think it was created by Kouma. It has a Virgin mobile splash screen. I also have the CWM_Prevail2_Ring_Koumajutsu.tar, ringstockrom.zip and rb3-6.0.1-t1 customer kernel.zip.

When I tried to root this phone I completely F'ed it up because I was in the Prevail forum and not Prevail 2. I asked Lord Vincent for help and him thinking I was on a Prevail (MY fault, not his) and not a Prevail 2 phone, he sent me three files, (one of them an .ops file) to help restore the phone back to stock. I had accidently wiped out the entire internal sd card.

Well because my noob arse didn't realize I was flashing my phone with Prevail files, I jacked something up.

I can successfully flash my phone with the recovery.tar, but the phone won't root with Framaroot. It just freezes and then reboots.

But because the phones internal SD card was wiped, I am thinking I don't have access to give u a proper system dump.

Am I correct?

Do we need someone who has a stock out of the box Prevail 2? I am getting close to just going out and buying a new stock Prevail 2 just to do this so this site will have proper software to help peeps out. I see a lot of users on the net looking for help with this phone.

It boots and everything works, but it will NOT root. When I try Framaroot and click on Superuser and Gandalf, Framaroot freezes and then after a few minutes the phone reboots. I am sure it has something to do with the 3 prevail files that I flashed onto the phone before I realized I was in the wrong dam forum, lol.

The recovery tar that I used from these forums to flash my prevail 2 has a Virgin mobile splash screen. I got it from desilynn79 on these forums as well as the two roms and custom kernel, I mentioned earlier.

When I flashed my Prevail 2 with Prevail files I must of screwed up a front-end file that affects rooting. Desilynn79 is able to root her Preavail 2 with the above-mentioned recovery file but I cannot and freeze during the rooting process.

I just put a bid down on a used but working stock Boost Prevail 2. If I win the bid, I should have it delivered here in about two weeks.

Yes, I have several files

1. recovery (recovery.tar.md5.tar)
2. ring/ prevail stock rom with virgin mobile preloads
3. [ROM][Deodexed][Odexed]Stock Rom! (odexed version)
4. CWM_Prevail2_Ring_Koumajutsu.tar,
5. rb3-6.0.1-t1 customer kernel.zip.

I have copies of these in my dropbox, I would be happy to give you a link to the files.

Back
Top Bottom