• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sold iPad and bought Note 10.1

I went to Best Buy on Saturday and spent 2 hours comparing tablets. I spent most of the time comparing the Note 10.1 to the Asus TF700. The Asus had a stunning screen, but lagged terribly with both pinch to zoom and internet scrolling.

The Note worked flawlessly. But the screen... Let me start off by saying I'm 46 and my eyes aren't what they used to be. The resoution when reading text is muddy and I found it very difficult on my eyes. When you zoom in on text, you see pixelated edges. I then walked over to the Apple display and looked at the iPad 4. Upon first looking at it I thought it was a dummy unit with a fake picture on the screen - the screen IS that good.

Please don't hate on this comment. I am an S3 owner and have posted on this site for a couple of years now. I dislike Apple's business practices and I am loyal to Android, but there is no comparison between the Note 10.1 and the iPad screen for reading text. The Note 10.1 isn't even remotely close.

Why or why would Samsung give a better display to Apple than their own product is beyond me. Due to the screen, and my old eyes, I passed on the Note. BTW, I'm aware of the Nexus 10 and its screen, but I really want a micro SD slot. My tablet search continues...

Upvote 0
I went to Best Buy on Saturday and spent 2 hours comparing tablets. I spent most of the time comparing the Note 10.1 to the Asus TF700. The Asus had a stunning screen, but lagged terribly with both pinch to zoom and internet scrolling.

The Note worked flawlessly. But the screen... Let me start off by saying I'm 46 and my eyes aren't what they used to be. The resoution when reading text is muddy and I found it very difficult on my eyes. When you zoom in on text, you see pixelated edges. I then walked over to the Apple display and looked at the iPad 4. Upon first looking at it I thought it was a dummy unit with a fake picture on the screen - the screen IS that good.

Please don't hate on this comment. I am an S3 owner and have posted on this site for a couple of years now. I dislike Apple's business practices and I am loyal to Android, but there is no comparison between the Note 10.1 and the iPad screen for reading text. The Note 10.1 isn't even remotely close.

Why or why would Samsung give a better display to Apple than their own product is beyond me. Due to the screen, and my old eyes, I passed on the Note. BTW, I'm aware of the Nexus 10 and its screen, but I really want a micro SD slot. My tablet search continues...

Strange. The higher the resolution, the smaller the text - that means with bad eyesight you should not prefer a higher res screen and it only looks better, but is not better for your poor eyesight and will make it more difficult to read anything.

Upvote 0
I thought about the nexus 10 as well but I think the note would be better. I am not ready to buy a hi res android tablet yet as I don't think the app development has caught up yet. I had a iphone 4and went to a note and the ppi dropped and I don't have any problems with it.
I agree where hi res is implemented, stuff tends to get smaller. My 27" iMac is a perfect example. I bought a big screen hoping to make things easier, but I noticed most stuff got smaller than on my 1366x768 13" mac book.

Upvote 0
By the way I just want to thank everyone on this thread. I pulled the trigger and it is being shipped as we speak,

Can't wait.

Even my wife who is a die hard Apple junkie is curious about the note 10.1 and wants to try it. She also thinking of going for a note 2 for a phone. It's official, Apple is going downhill. They haven't innovated since jobs left, well - died. And now it is really starting to show. If my wife is considering bailing, they are toast. Speaking of apples in the previous post...

Upvote 0
By the way I just want to thank everyone on this thread. I pulled the trigger and it is being shipped as we speak,

Can't wait.

Even my wife who is a die hard Apple junkie is curious about the note 10.1 and wants to try it. She also thinking of going for a note 2 for a phone. It's official, Apple is going downhill. They haven't innovated since jobs left, well - died. And now it is really starting to show. If my wife is considering bailing, they are toast. Speaking of apples in the previous post...

I agree with everything you have posted. I love Apple products but innovation has left the building. All they seem to do is resize current products and sue competitors.

I think you will love the Note 10.1. Be patient though - there is a learning curve. Things don't function quite as smoothly and the commercials show. If you stick with it and take the time to learn, there is nothing like it.

My own impatience with learning it led me to go another route - I bought the Nexus 10 with plans to sell the Note 10.1. From the time I bought the Nexus to the time it arrive, something began to click for me and the Note. Now I have to sell my unopened Nexus 10 that I no longer want.

Upvote 0
QUOTE=5tevie;5521038]I'm curious. The guy that posted on this thread saying that he couldn't see the fonts clearly, has he considered trying glasses?[/QUOTE]

Even then, doesn't text only render in the resolution that the font was created in? Meaning as you enlarge it, isn't it going to look the same on an ipad 4 as a Note 10.1? I can only imagine that the higher resolution screen would look better when the text is viewed smaller.

Someone school me on this?

And the text looks great on my 10.1.
Jet

Upvote 0
I have both an iPad 4 and a Note 10.1
The Note 10.1 feels so much nicer to hold ~ it's lighter and doesn't hurt the palm of your hands, unlike the iPad 4 ~ always cold to the touch, heavy and is horrendous at leaving a pain at the base of my thumbs when held for anything over a few minutes.

Next up try and import a file onto the iPad..... It's a bloody nightmare, where you have to rely on either iTunes or a convoluted and idiotic file transfer in using the likes of cloud based services and even then you are severely limited.....
There's no file management per se. You can't simply drop a photo, video, music, or whatever into a chosen directory as there is no such thing in iOS.
Instead you have to associate a file to an App and even then you can't see or share that App with another App.
Photos if imported using the Camera Connection Kit have to have a specific file name structure.... It has to be Eight characters long... no longer and no less otherwise you can not transfer a photo or video across to the iPad.
Bluetooth file transfer is a complete and total No No.... Again iOS does not allow Bluetooth to communicate from one machine to another machine to transfer a file as it is deemed a security issue.... Oh come on Apple.

I could go on and on about the pitfalls of the iPad such as no true multitasking showing multiple programs at the same time, no widgets on the home screen, no way to organize the home screen icons in any way other than drag and drop or a basic folder structure, no real notification apps, etc. etc..... but suffice to say it does have it's benefits.....

Where the iPad shines best is the amount of software available..... This is where Android and Samsung are letting down their Tablet devices. Until Google come up with a down and out plan to introduce more and better titles the iPad is always going to sell in higher numbers.

Upvote 0
I have both an iPad 4 and a Note 10.1
The Note 10.1 feels so much nicer to hold ~ it's lighter and doesn't hurt the palm of your hands, unlike the iPad 4 ~ always cold to the touch, heavy and is horrendous at leaving a pain at the base of my thumbs when held for anything over a few minutes.

Next up try and import a file onto the iPad..... It's a bloody nightmare, where you have to rely on either iTunes or a convoluted and idiotic file transfer in using the likes of cloud based services and even then you are severely limited.....
There's no file management per se. You can't simply drop a photo, video, music, or whatever into a chosen directory as there is no such thing in iOS.
Instead you have to associate a file to an App and even then you can't see or share that App with another App.
Photos if imported using the Camera Connection Kit have to have a specific file name structure.... It has to be Eight characters long... no longer and no less otherwise you can not transfer a photo or video across to the iPad.
Bluetooth file transfer is a complete and total No No.... Again iOS does not allow Bluetooth to communicate from one machine to another machine to transfer a file as it is deemed a security issue.... Oh come on Apple.

I could go on and on about the pitfalls of the iPad such as no true multitasking showing multiple programs at the same time, no widgets on the home screen, no way to organize the home screen icons in any way other than drag and drop or a basic folder structure, no real notification apps, etc. etc..... but suffice to say it does have it's benefits.....

Where the iPad shines best is the amount of software available..... This is where Android and Samsung are letting down their Tablet devices. Until Google come up with a down and out plan to introduce more and better titles the iPad is always going to sell in higher numbers.

Great post I also have a Galaxy 10.1 note and iPad 2&4 and as you have posted, there are many items you can do with the Galaxy very easy you cannot do easy on the iPads. Both have there own place and both have their own uses. If one wished to save money and have the best of both, I feel the Galaxy 10.1 note would be my choice. The iPads are quality tablets but are IMHO over priced, and Apple makes it tough to do many simple items without using their iTunes. Thats my thoughts.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones