• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Speed Reduction for Beyond Talk Plans

portezbie

Android Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2011
- Speed Reduction for Beyond Talk Monthly Plans
* Once the system is updated, we will begin throughput speed reduction for the Beyond Talk Monthly plans on all devices. To ensure all customers have reliable access to data services, we will begin implementation of throughput speed reduction, once the established threshold is reached.
* To help ensure you're aware of your throughput limiting status, we'll send you a message when 85% of the data threshold has been used, and again when you've reached 100% of your data threshold and speeds will be reduced.

Well this doesn't sound good. My data speeds are already pretty bad, how much worse can they make them? Or does this mean they are just lowering the data cap at which they start throttling speeds? Either way this is pretty lame.

- Speed Reduction for Beyond Talk Monthly Plans
* Once the system is updated, we will begin throughput speed reduction for the Beyond Talk Monthly plans on all devices. To ensure all customers have reliable access to data services, we will begin implementation of throughput speed reduction, once the established threshold is reached.
* To help ensure you're aware of your throughput limiting status, we'll send you a message when 85% of the data threshold has been used, and again when you've reached 100% of your data threshold and speeds will be reduced.

Well this doesn't sound good. My data speeds are already pretty bad, how much worse can they make them? Or does this mean they are just lowering the data cap at which they start throttling speeds? Either way this is pretty lame.

If you don't reach the limit cap, you won't be affected, what's really lame is all those people using their phones for WiFi Tethering and hotspots for all their home devices hogging all the data, this is what happens when people abuse the system.

Reactions: portezbie
Upvote 0
I don't do either of those things so it sounds like I won't be affected. Hopefully if this reduces other peoples usage mine may even get a little better. Living in NYC, I sometimes find my speeds drop when I am in more populated parts of the city.

It sounds like it probably just won't affect me at all though.

Upvote 0
I don't do either of those things so it sounds like I won't be affected. Hopefully if this reduces other peoples usage mine may even get a little better. Living in NYC, I sometimes find my speeds drop when I am in more populated parts of the city.

It sounds like it probably just won't affect me at all though.

I knew guy that didn't teather, but he used his phone for torrents and just uploaded the files through the data connection.

Upvote 0
If you don't reach the limit cap, you won't be affected, what's really lame is all those people using their phones for WiFi Tethering and hotspots for all their home devices hogging all the data, this is what happens when people abuse the system.

LOL
Sorry, I just laughed a little when I thought of people trying to use virgin mobile as their home network. If I had to do that, I would probably constantly break my computers/keyboards from raging at the internet going at the speed of molasses.

Upvote 0
LOL
Sorry, I just laughed a little when I thought of people trying to use virgin mobile as their home network. If I had to do that, I would probably constantly break my computers/keyboards from raging at the internet going at the speed of molasses.

You will laugh your self to death if you see on the evo v forum how many people post asking for wifi tethering apps to turn their phones as a mobile hotspot lol.

Upvote 0
You will laugh your self to death if you see on the evo v forum how many people post asking for wifi tethering apps to turn their phones as a mobile hotspot lol.

It's not something I used regularly, but one time the ability to tether did come in handy- the cable line got knocked down by a storm & Comcast had a customer service phone waiting time of an hour, but I jumped on the computer, tethered to my phone & was able to use their online chat option (wouldn't work in phone browser, tried that first!) and got a service rep in a couple of minutes.

Not something to use every day, but could save your a$$ in a pinch. :)

Upvote 0
Pretty much impossible for me to reach my cap since the speeds I get at home is below dial-up. I get about 30kbps during the daytime. I guess if I slept all day and stayed up all night I could use up my limit since that is the only time the speeds are useable!!!

Wow- they should charge you like $2 a month for your data LOL!

Upvote 0
Same here, I get speeds so slow that it hardly compares to even dial-up at times. I too was stuck with it as my only source of internet for a while (aside from going to McDonald's in the middle of many a freezing night just to update a ROM or kernel) and it was horrible. I can't imagine what throttled speeds would be like.

As soon as I signed on for VM I realized that the unlimited data for the speeds I got weren't much of a perk at all unless I only cared about email without attachments or had plenty of patience for even just a google search.

But hey, still cheaper than contract for minutes and texting and I'm in an area where I knew VM wouldn't be blazing in the first place.

Upvote 0
It's not something I used regularly, but one time the ability to tether did come in handy- the cable line got knocked down by a storm & Comcast had a customer service phone waiting time of an hour, but I jumped on the computer, tethered to my phone & was able to use their online chat option (wouldn't work in phone browser, tried that first!) and got a service rep in a couple of minutes.

Not something to use every day, but could save your a$$ in a pinch. :)

I concur...When my Time Warner Cable Internet goes out and I can't or don't want to go to a convenient hotspot location; I will tether my Triumph to my computer when my phone can't do what I'm doing on the comp. Sure it's slow and I might use up much of our data cap, but as a backup system it can get it done albiet slower. A true 4G speed would help but I'm not ready to retire my Triumph and rarely have had to resort to tethering, but it's nice to know it's there if i need it in a pinch.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones